• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OnePantherPlace: The Game Notes

ellis

The defense is culpable for not being able to get off the field on 3rd downs, but I have a lot more confidence for that side of the ball to get things cleaned up with good coaching and actually not being vanilla.

The offensive side of the ball is so much more of a concern at every level...

First off, and this hasn't been much of a topic of discussion, but our receivers are not getting open they way you would hope after hearing so much positivity from camp.  This goes in conjunction with the Oline, but it's still a thing.  The Patriots blitzed on almost every play which put a lot of pressure on the Oline and the QB's, but that means the WR's are getting man coverage.

The offensive line has got to do their jobs better, pure and simple.  I'm not an Oline coach, but they did not pass the eyeball test pass blocking or run blocking.  The intensity and meanness is not there... NFL defenses have some of the best athletes in the country, and Olineman are going to lose some... but the lack of intensity and effort is alarming.

Finally, the backup QB's have been laid bare by the last 2 preseason games.  Buffalo and New England both have formidable defenses, the Oline has sucked, receivers aren't consistently getting open... I get it.  That being said, Allen and Grier are missing throws that are there, are making bad reads, and just seem overwhelmed...

This is not unfixable, but it is a bad spot to be in 2 weeks before the season.  However, I am glad there is no easy way to sweep this mess under the rug... the coaches and players needed to be laser-focused on the next 2 weeks.

I'm not expecting to see a perfect team Week 1, but I'm hoping for a healthy Cam, and an offense that can at least hold up their end of the bargain.

the biggest weakness this team has right now is on the offensive line. It’s hard to give WRs time to get open, give QBs time to read the defense and give RBs lanes to run when the defense’s front 4 is in the backfield within a second of the snap. A big part of our failures lie from LT to RT — and that’s not counting the damn tons of penalties 

The offensive line has to come together. I’m a bit surprised at the lack of cohesiveness so far. 

Cam just can’t hold the ball like that. There was actually fairly good protection on the play he got hurt.

Breaks down at the end, but that’s not uncommon when there’s six men on the rush. There needs to be a hot route or some sort of alternative option at play here.  

Otherwise, take a sack. Gently. Just lay down and take it. His instinct is to make big plays, and with that, comes this.

517CABD5-1739-4864-B737-6A84071C7C2D.gif

7 minutes ago, ellis said:

The offensive line has to come together. I’m a bit surprised at the lack of cohesiveness so far. 

Cam just can’t hold the ball like that. There was actually fairly good protection on the play he got hurt.

Remember when Cam would run forward instead of sideways? Like I've said, you must run Cam to start the game, he calms down and focuses and becomes the agressor, not the target. This offense needs to run through Cam first, rungame and all.

14 minutes ago, ellis said:

It's true... if you go back and watch, he holds the ball for close to 6 seconds...

But at the same time, we had just went 3-and-out twice, and Cam didn't want to end the preseason without putting at least 1 drive together... 

This is his ninth year, and you want him to be smarter than that given the fact it's preseason, but when you've got people swarming around you and you're trying to make a play to give your team a spark, it is understandable.

I'm just hoping he's going to be ready for Week 1, and the Offensive Line can come together...

The truth is, there is more overall talent on this line than in most years... they've got to play like it for this team to be good

Jerry Hughes ripped a hole into Carolina’s offensive line in Spartanburg: two straight days of practices, and the o-line was absolutely overwhelmed by McDermott’s defense. Sometimes, your talent level is just not good enough. I can put some of that on coaching, sure. Everybody had a hand in it. 

Anyway, from that moment, I’ve been very skeptical about this team’s ability to move the ball. We chronicled that quite frequently during camp. Team look like world-beaters in light padded drills. Once they got punched in the mouth, not so much.

Archived