• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Offensive Line

Jimmy

1 hour ago, Navy_football said:

So which receiver on that play was ready to receive a pass from Cam by the time the pressure was there - and it was a lot sooner than 5 or 6 seconds? While I wait for your response...

Very few actually make excuses for Cam Newton. A lot of us just hold him to the same standards as every other QB in the NFL. His effort to keep the play alive in that clip is exemplary - likely failing only because his ankle gave way. But all you can see is he should have thrown the ball away - because that always works out well. How many interceptions/fumbles has Cam made trying to "hang in there" and make a play from the pocket? He tried that before in a Super Bowl. Didn't work out so well. Is it okay if Russel Wilson escapes the pocket to extend the play? 

Are you still going on and on about one play defending Cam. We have shown multiple ways Cam could have gotten rid of the ball instead of holding it for 6 seconds. Truth is for every play he makes scrambling he gets sacked or get hit twice as much. When Wilson scrambles he is buying time to throw the ball and is looking downfield. Cam rarely throw the ball on the run. He tends to run putting himself in harm's way. There isn't any defense for the play. But it is preseason and no big deal except to you who seems to have trouble accepting Cam isn't perfect and screws up  under pressure.

23 hours ago, Panthera onca said:

I think one of the biggest issues is putting guys in the wrong position. Williams to right tackle, Moton to left, maybe Little at left guard would seem like a better lineup. Hopefully Paradis comes around some after more practice time.

This. I just dont get it, you cant tell me Little wouldnt be a better guard than Roten at the moment. This staff just complete garbage at player management. 

I haven’t “bitched” about Cam. Asking him to be a little more prudent with his scramble in the preseason doesn’t equate to hate. If it does, for anyone here, please examine your own sensitivities.

I’ve been one of Newton’s staunchest supporters since the spring of 2011, back when that moron analyst tried to discredit him for having a “fake smile” and being “me-first”.

Talking about one play here, not a legacy.

You can argue until you're blue in the face about what Cam could have done differently on that play, but at the end of the day he is the QB not the coach.

One thing you can't argue with is why was he even out there in that position in the first place in PRESEASON knowing we were going up against the defending champions who won their SIXTH Super Bowl with a very stout pass rush? Why even have your franchise QB who is coming back from a shoulder injury standing back there in the pocket susceptible to blindside hits waiting on receivers to get open? To top it all off, this behind a shaky OL. He only needed reps with the offense. That was simply not the time or place for a 5-6 step drop long developing play. The Panthers damn well should have known better this many years in with an established HC. Look at how many starters the Packers have rested so far in preseason.

15 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

You're right about one thing.  No one is going to give us anything. Live action in two weeks so we better get our shyt  together. 

You know as well as I do OTA and mini camps contact is very limited so the opportunity to gel is limited.

Moton or Williams at RT is a toss up. Your opinion is Williams should be RT. Got it. The coaching staff thinks differently.  So I guess they are idiot because they don't agree with you.  Got it.

Got news for you. If we beat the Rams the line will receive a lot of the credit. And if we win and they looked bad. That's one more week to get better.

Look

i want them to do well.  I don’t want them to fail

season ticket holder for many years. A lot of time, money, and emotion committed 

the time for excuses, after a 9 year stay, is over and there always is one 

I’m praying  to god the new owners we feels the same way

20 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Something to consider for the Cam sucks under pressure crowd... he completed 47.1% of his passes last season when under pressure. That was good for 5th in the NFL.

Would like to see the numbers on that versus passer rating since ratings gives little context. Plus the stat presented wasn't for the whole season just the first half,  right? In either case I have been asking for that kind of data for a year. I knew it had to be out there so we can at least have data instead of the old eyeball test.

4 hours ago, Navy_football said:

So which receiver on that play was ready to receive a pass from Cam by the time the pressure was there - and it was a lot sooner than 5 or 6 seconds? While I wait for your response...

Very few actually make excuses for Cam Newton. A lot of us just hold him to the same standards as every other QB in the NFL. His effort to keep the play alive in that clip is exemplary - likely failing only because his ankle gave way. But all you can see is he should have thrown the ball away - because that always works out well. How many interceptions/fumbles has Cam made trying to "hang in there" and make a play from the pocket? He tried that before in a Super Bowl. Didn't work out so well. Is it okay if Russel Wilson escapes the pocket to extend the play? 

Cam had 3 seconds, that's  enough time to make a play. Brees and Brady make a throw in under 3 seconds all the time. Be willing to bet Cam did too during the 6-2 start to last year.

Throwing the ball away and living to play another down works really well here.  Interceptions and fumbles happen when you hold the ball too long. When you see the protection isn't there and immediately throw it out of bounds over everybody's head, no int. Throwing it to the outlet guy/hot read works too.

If Cam wants to play another 5-8 years, those are the kind of plays he has to make.

4 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Are you still going on and on about one play defending Cam. We have shown multiple ways Cam could have gotten rid of the ball instead of holding it for 6 seconds. Truth is for every play he makes scrambling he gets sacked or get hit twice as much. When Wilson scrambles he is buying time to throw the ball and is looking downfield. Cam rarely throw the ball on the run. He tends to run putting himself in harm's way. There isn't any defense for the play. But it is preseason and no big deal except to you who seems to have trouble accepting Cam isn't perfect and screws up  under pressure.

Nope. I agree Cam isn't perfect. He needs to improve. You're right. Just hold him to the same standard as every other QB. Apparently you don't see improvement. I see tons! 

I disagree with everything else you said. 

5 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Nope. I agree Cam isn't perfect. He needs to improve. You're right. Just hold him to the same standard as every other QB. Apparently you don't see improvement. I see tons! 

I disagree with everything else you said. 

It is okay. You can wrong about everything else. No problem.

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Cam had 3 seconds, that's  enough time to make a play. Brees and Brady make a throw in under 3 seconds all the time. Be willing to bet Cam did too during the 6-2 start to last year.

Throwing the ball away and living to play another down works really well here.  Interceptions and fumbles happen when you hold the ball too long. When you see the protection isn't there and immediately throw it out of bounds over everybody's head, no int. Throwing it to the outlet guy/hot read works too.

If Cam wants to play another 5-8 years, those are the kind of plays he has to make.

Ok. So Brees and Brady never get sacked? Is that what you're implying? 3 seconds is not enough time to make a play when his receivers aren't looking for the ball - and the pocket was collapsing in less than 3 seconds. So just chuck it up there while they're in the middle of their route, huh? F it. just put it out there and see what happens.

Brees and Brady can't do what Cam can do - not a good comparison.  

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Exactly. Some apologists try so hard to make excuses simple logic eludes them.

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

It is okay. You can wrong about everything else. No problem.

I could pull dozens of occasions that dispute every generalization you made here:

When Wilson scrambles he is buying time to throw the ball and is looking downfield. Cam rarely throw the ball on the run. He tends to run putting himself in harm's way.

Archived