• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam’s 16 throws before halftime after the apparent foot injury

ellis

22 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Same as it ever was.

I feel like I'm the only person around here who didn't take the "shoulder is all good" and "dropping bomb all over the field" bait during TC?

The foot is one thing, looked like Lisfranc to me when he got hurt, and that's not great.  However, the shoulder is something else entirely, and I'm not convinced in the least that it's healed, nor can it hold up to an NFL season, and offseason.

Hope I'm wrong.

My reporting at camp was, in summary: Cam looked fantastic with his touch on the deep ball. Cam looked average on the intermediates. He still sailed plenty of throws over the middle. He tossed a small handful of inexplicable interceptions.

And....when Buffalo came to scrimmage, everybody got hit in the mouth. It was on that day I knew this version of the offensive line was going to be a problem.  

2 minutes ago, ellis said:

My reporting at camp was, in summary: Cam looked fantastic with his touch on the deep ball. Cam looked average on the intermediates. He still sailed plenty of throws over the middle. He tossed a small handful of inexplicable interceptions.

And....when Buffalo came to scrimmage, everybody got hit in the mouth. It was on that day I knew this version of the offensive line was going to be a problem.  

Would make it the second year in a row that somebody hit us in the mouth and derailed us. Doesn't say a lot for our toughness if that's true.

Did you notice the problems throwing to the right side in camp or did that not manifest itself until later?

I noticed none of that at camp. It’s not something I made a point to look at, but it certainly didn’t jump out. I have a nice library of footage from practices. Could certainly go back and take a look.

Like I said, the Buffalo scrimmage was the big turning point for me. Of course, they do have a pretty dominant defense, but that’s pretty much in the back end. Their secondary is their strength: they were the best  in the league last year and it showed.

But making Jerry Hughes and Trent Murphy look like Lawrence Taylor and Chris Doleman was very alarming.

8 minutes ago, ellis said:

I think that the long ball may be able to be had in practice here and there, especially during TC when there is no fear of getting smacked in the mouth.  Consistent is the word I'm waiting to hear when it comes to Cam's deep passing.  We haven't heard that in a long time.

I'm hopeful at this point, but very very concerned about that shoulders ability to hold up week in and week out, month in and month out.  Guessing that Tepper is as well.

Yeah, I mean everybody looked like MVPs in shorts and helmets. We were all raving about Curtis Samuel, and rightfully so. From what we had to go on, he looked amazing. So far, he’s not separating, and he doesn’t have a whole lot of time to separate. 

Moore looked like a more polished route-runner. So far, we just haven’t seen it. But again, a lot that is protection. They all go hand in hand: protection/accuracy/routes.

Think about the stark contrast between a couple of weeks of no contact in Spartanburg for Cam and where they are now. 

Buffalo comes to town, and even though they can’t hit the quarterback, it’s evident that they would do it a lot if they could. You won’t convince me that’s not the reason Ron held Cam out of the Buffalo game. He knew it might not end well.

Unfortunate injury in New England. But still, there was very little protection there too. You still have to credit TB’s secondary. They were glued to everyone all day. And the blocking sucked too. It was a pure team loss on offense. 

I think it’s still his shoulder.

not “injured” any more but it takes time to teach your body how to throw again.

after my first back surgery I could only throw a football with my arm, had no body torque, could barely throw 10-15 yards lobbing, it was embarrassing.

after a couple of months I started having some zip(for me ha) and could lob at least 25 yards. My back needed a second surgery and the rest is history(4 total) 

but the point is this was his shoulder twice and his foot.

i said he needed a year just to learn how to throw a football again,.. I hate being right.

5 minutes ago, JARROD said:

I think it’s still his shoulder.

not “injured” any more but it takes time to teach your body how to throw again.

after my first back surgery I could only throw a football with my arm, had no body torque, could barely throw 10-15 yards lobbing, it was embarrassing.

after a couple of months I started having some zip(for me ha) and could lob at least 25 yards. My back needed a second surgery and the rest is history(4 total) 

but the point is this was his shoulder twice and his foot.

i said he needed a year just to learn how to throw a football again,.. I hate being right.

There’s a ton of muscle memory involved in working your way back from that. Everybody tried to break down his new throwing motion in camp. I didn’t see much of a difference. The motion looks different on different throws. There’s not one single motion he uses. He throws off balance quite a bit. Sometimes, he throws on the run. But in terms of how it feels to him, that’s all that matters. It’s very much like a golf swing, which I have more experience with than throwing the football. A swing you use in a tournament one week can feel worlds different than one you might use in a different week, although the adjustment is so minor nobody else can notice it. 

22 hours ago, Seltzer said:

That is a good observation.  No one can be certain exactly what's going on in Cam's head in the moment, but the QB is in a vulnerable spot when he's turning his body from the "blind side."

Maybe subconsciously he is concerned with an impending hit and it's affecting his throws.

Also, rewatching makes you realize that the coverage was really good on a good bit of those throws.

Its frustrating b/c had we been able to not completely crap the bed in the redzone we still would have won, but Tampa had a great defensive game plan and executed it.

It also throws a little cold water on how good Moore and Samuel are as a starting WR pair. 

I still think they are better than what we have had post-Smitty, but Tampa obviously had confidence in their defense playing a lot of man-to-man 

Both ended up with decent stats, but you could make the argument it was due to volume versus them really terrorizing a secondary 

The sad part was guys we're open but Williams could not protect and had zero help. That's the stuff you see in preseason not game two. 

Archived