• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A little perspective on Allen

Khyber53

Allen's value to the team has been immense.  Regardless of who "really" won the last 3 games, he has been our QB for those wins.

At the very least it looks like we have a great backup.  Still quite early to be sure of anything but I am immensely pleased with him given how young he is and the circumstances.

18 hours ago, Seltzer said:

Ultimately, I think this will prove to be another good draft class by Hurney.  You can nitpick any one draft pick in a vacuum, but if you're going to claim Hurney could have gotten a pick more ready to contribute at 100 (Grier pick), you got to concede that Miller in the 4th and Daley in the 6th look like steals.

Here's where we go off the rails and really set fire to the engine: Hurney has been killing it in version 2.0. And big props to our scouting department.

23 minutes ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

you're welcome to make that case but imo calling his value "immense" is exactly the kind of thing that's driving backlash. is there "immense" value in his individual performance? or is there "immense" value in not having to go wildcat or something when the starter goes down? these are two different things that often get conflated here. you see obviously stupid posts from people who want you to believe that there's a single thing allen does that cam hasn't already proven to do better, that naturally leads to a response, and the person who responds to the stupid post is then cast as a "cam only" fan with an agenda. that's because some of the people attempting to portray themselves as unbiased and above the fray and team first have actually been waiting for this moment since cam was drafted. there's layers to it all and the people trying to stifle discussion or otherwise silence the very valid criticisms of this udfa backup are suspect

What's "driving backlash" (and for the record, backlash against a backup quarterback when were winning games is about as stupid as it can get) is people being scared to death of Newton having competition.

The reality is that whether Newton comes back and establishes himself as the starter again is either going to happen or it isn't.

All the hope in the world isn't going to help it happen. It will or it won't.

And again, all the denial in the world and all the poor analysis posted on a niche message board won't stop him from being replaced if he isn't up to it anymore.

Ultimately, for those of us who are actually Panther fans, what matters most is that we win. Who's playing what position when we do is a very distant second.

32 minutes ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

if pointing out his actual failures means we "want him to fail" then what's it called when people spend 9 seasons making up the "failures" of our mvp quarterback?

the same thing that it is called when people spend 3 seasons making up the "failures" of our All-Pro RB :Eyes_Emoji_42x42:

aka: not knowing anything about football and having a terrible opinion

Just now, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

no one who even remotely understands the product on the field is concerned about kyle allen being "competition" lmao. the only thing fans should be concerned about is the very real possibility that this coaching staff is dumb enough to view allen as "competition"

Yet you keep posting about it.

Let me just put the question to you point blank: If Allen (or Grier) does wind up replacing Newton going forward, will you still cheer for the Panthers to win?

(and FYI, an answer like "that's not going to happen" is an admission that you're afraid it actually could)

2 minutes ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

lol you're still doing this. you're welcome to go back to the thread that has you so mad still to this day and make your case

or keep following me around crying about things you've never been quite able to grasp. i've got quite a collection of those guys

Woo boi, that hit dog is hollaring while virtue signaling. Impressive. :Eyes_Emoji_42x42:

1 minute ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

let me put the question to you point blank: if bonnafon does wind up replacing mccaffrey going forward, will you still cheer for the panthers to win?

(and fyi, an answer like "that's not going to happen" is an admission that you're afraid it actually could)

see how stupid that sounds?

Not at all. It's an easy answer:

Absolutely.

We have a coach I don't really believe in, a GM I think is lousy, players I think are good and players I think need to be replaced, but regardless of who's playing, who's starting, who's benched or whatever, I'll still cheer for the team to win. 

That's called being a Panther fan.

Can you say the same?

4 minutes ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

mr scot feels so threatened by perfectly reasonable critiques of the udfa backup that instead of addressing them directly it instead devolves into stupid, irrelevant "thought experiments" that require no thought and test nothing but your patience

That's pretty funny, seeing as I'm one of the people who's given actual "reasonable critiques", so no.

I'm not "afraid" of hit pieces either. I just recognize the stupidity behind them.

mr scot feels so threatened by perfectly reasonable critiques of the udfa backup that instead of addressing them directly it instead devolves into stupid, irrelevant "thought experiments" that require no thought and test nothing but your patience

How do you feel about JJ Jansen? 

yeah if cam or mccaffrey are replaced with clearly inferior talents permanently then i will remain a panthers fan. sorry to poo on your stupid theory but there is only a tiny handful of auburn fans here that i would expect to leave with cam. you would see more posters leave if cam won a super bowl here tbh

Cam, McCaffrey, Luke and all the rest are going to be replaced.

Maybe it'll be down the road. Maybe it'll be next year.

It might be by "inferior talents" or it might be by better ones.

Regardless of how or when it happens or whether I agree with the decision, I'll still manage to hope for the best. And frankly, it's not really even that difficult.

That's football.

2 minutes ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

if mccaffrey is replaced by bonnafon he will have been replaced by an inferior talent. if cam is replaced by kyle allen he will have been replaced by an inferior talent. every player gets replaced eventually but elite talents, mvp winners, still in their positional prime (notice i didn't say physical prime) usually get quite a bit more slack, especially when being impeded by things fully outside of their control

As long as we're winning, I don't care.

3 minutes ago, Nesbro1 said:

You are nuts. If Cam actually won a Superbowl then he would have earned his God like status. 

Every Panther fan everywhere would be here to E felate him.

Pretty much.

Some of us just want to see our team win. We don't require that it be done with "the right people" 

1 minute ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

same here. the problem being that walking away from an mvp quarterback in favor of a guy like kyle allen doesn't seem to be a decision driven by a desire to win. you can point to his record all you want but his performance on the field doesn't suggest a higher probability of winning a super bowl. deep down you know this. personally i would rather stick with the proven mvp instead of waiting for allen's "interceptable" passes to become "intercepted" passes. for "his" wins to become the team's losses.

Says it's all about winning...

Goes on to discount that we're winning because of who's playing...

Talks about "interceptable passes" of a quarterback who has thrown no interceptions...

Suggest sticking with a quarterback because of past glory regardless of current performance...

Yeah, that's all very credible :eyeroll:

Archived