• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chris Gamble: "Play More Man"

Kevin Greene

Gamble is right we need to play more man and even more importantly mix things up. The problem last year wasn't we played zone so much as we didn't mix things up at all and kept the corners on the same side of the field all day. It allowed Fitz to line up against whoever he wanted just by moving to different locations on the field. We need to develop a similar gameplan to what we did against Indy in 2007. Keep the defense moving around until the snap of the ball so Warner can't figure out what we are in as easily. Mix things up so we use zone and man looks rather than use one exclusively. It isn't whether you play man or zone as much as how predictable you are so that the offense can't just dial up plays guaranteed to work. Any defense has it's weaknesses, the trick is not telegraphing it so that the quarterback can audibelize on the line and beat us like they did last year.

If I know this then surely Meeks does as well. And frankly I would play a cover 1 with man under with Gamble on Fitz all day and Munnerlyn on Bolton and Marshall on Breston. Put Harris in the box to cover the back out of the backfield or cover the fourth receiver and go with 2 linebackers, Thomas and Beason and 4 linemen. And sprinkle a moderate amount of zone as well.

But what do I know??????

Gamble is right we need to play more man and even more importantly mix things up. The problem last year wasn't we played zone so much as we didn't mix things up at all and kept the corners on the same side of the field all day. It allowed Fitz to line up against whoever he wanted just by moving to different locations on the field. We need to develop a similar gameplan to what we did against Indy in 2007. Keep the defense moving around until the snap of the ball so Warner can't figure out what we are in as easily. Mix things up so we use zone and man looks rather than use one exclusively. It isn't whether you play man or zone as much as how predictable you are so that the offense can't just dial up plays guaranteed to work. Any defense has it's weaknesses, the trick is not telegraphing it so that the quarterback can audibelize on the line and beat us like they did last year.

If I know this then surely Meeks does as well. And frankly I would play a cover 1 with man under with Gamble on Fitz all day and Munnerlyn on Bolton and Marshall on Breston. Put Harris in the box to cover the back out of the backfield or cover the fourth receiver and go with 2 linebackers, Thomas and Beason and 4 linemen. And sprinkle a moderate amount of zone as well.

But what do I know??????

I like the way you think.

-------------------------

Who are the 4 best zone based cornerbacks in the NFL?

-----------

---------

-----

---

Gamble: "Play more Good".

If you are looking at the NFL trying to find a rocket scientist, you are going to come up empty. The vast majority of NFL players have IQs below 100. It is true.They aren't chosen for their brain but their brawn. Gamble isn't that bright but he has plenty of company.

http://jesuswarehouse.com/2009/01/football-iq/

I know estimated IQs from college SAT's aren't exact but the notion is clear and sound. IQs for athletes are much lower than for college students in general and football athletes have lower IQs than most other athletes except for the lowest which is basketball players. Sad but true.

And since this is somewhat hijacking the thread I am not listing multiple sources but there are tons of them.

This is not rocket science people...and why professionals getting paid to do this job can't figure it out is beyond me.

Smack the poo out of them off the line, and the game plan on D is half done. I don't mean dance, I mean fvck them up.

Remember D. Hall, and how he always played Smitty?? Same thing, just do it without going to the head and drawing flags.

Trust me...it would work. All the more reason to believe we will never attempt it. :(

Lol our coaches are such crap. They will put Fitz in the slot then Munnerlyn will be on him lololol. Get the f**k out of zone pussies.

Munnerlyn's going to be on him anyway since Marshall still moves inside in the nickel package IIRC. That's why we've seen Munnerlyn against the other teams no. 1 on the outside every week.

man and bump and run are two different things altogether.

It seems to me that you have to mix it up whatever you do. Man with a safety over the top should be used to cover Fitz for example at least if it proves effective. He is too good at finding holes and seams and gaining big yards after the catch.

Playing zone without getting great pressure would just allow Fitz and Boltin to find seams and weaknesses in our zone. Warner throws too quickly to apply consistent pressure unless you blitz which automatically gives you holes in your zone. At least with a tight man pressure off the line approach, we may be able to disrupt their routes and at least quickly tackle to avoid yards after the catch. Of course tackling isn't something we have exactly excelled at.

We don't play great zone right now and are probably more experienced in man right now. With Godfrey out, and Martin in, and Harris suspect against the pass, how would you do it?

yeah, the best receiver in the NFL can't beat man coverage. OK.
not sure that anyone is saying that.

what is being said is that he best way to handle him is going man coverage. using zone sure isn't going to do it. he kind of ate us up when we used it last year.

If you are looking at the NFL trying to find a rocket scientist, you are going to come up empty. The vast majority of NFL players have IQs below 100. It is true.They aren't chosen for their brain but their brawn. Gamble isn't that bright but he has plenty of company.

http://jesuswarehouse.com/2009/01/football-iq/

I know estimated IQs from college SAT's aren't exact but the notion is clear and sound. IQs for athletes are much lower than for college students in general and football athletes have lower IQs than most other athletes except for the lowest which is basketball players. Sad but true.

And since this is somewhat hijacking the thread I am not listing multiple sources but there are tons of them.

...I read a couple years ago that New England had the highest average IQ per team...given their success that fact is interesting. I think Gamble is saying he wants to play man-to-man because he is more 'street' and old school, setting up his man for a big play over the course of the game. Playing in a cookie cutter defense leaves you vulnerable.... Hell, alls Arizona had to do was watch film of 2006 and game plan from there. The plays to be executed on both sides of the ball are stale at best and thats why we are having our asses handed to us.

I was never so flabbergasted as when our 'D' said they knew every snap count because it was never varied, always the same count. Opposing teams knew that sh!t too.... opposing teams know Dulhomme is not going to rollout, because he can't, limiting our ability to keep the defense on its toes...they just bull rush and tee off on us alllllll freakin game. EVERY TEAM KNOWS WHAT WE AR GOING TO DO!... I know everytime Dulhomme is goint to pass.. his routine after breaking the huddle tips u off.... see if you can spot it this weekend...

Archived