• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kyle Allen more than holding his own with other 2018 drafted QBs

MVPccaffrey

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

In all honesty Cam was not a franchise QB year one. 

Cam had one of the all time great rookie seasons.  He was very clearly the guy we were going to build around for the long term by the time that season was done.  Could that have changed if he bombed out? yeah, sure.  But he had one of the all time great rookie seasons... It only took a handful of games for everyone to see he had immense potential... This coming from me ... someone that stupidly did not want to draft him.

3 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Cam had one of the all time great rookie seasons.  He was very clearly the guy we were going to build around for the long term by the time that season was done.  Could that have changed if he bombed out? yeah, sure.  But he had one of the all time great rookie seasons... It only took a handful of games for everyone to see he had immense potential... This coming from me ... someone that stupidly did not want to draft him.

And won less games than Kyle Allen will this year with a lower completion percentage. Clearly he only played at back up level according to you guys gage of what a QB needs to do. 

Gotta quit over hyping Allen and downing Allen , lift him up for his strengths and hope he eliminates or works on his weaknesses. 

Rosen had a short leash and he was pick 10th or 11th I think, expectations should be high if this is the guy you believe to be replacing cam newton, I’m rooting for Allen but if we can do better and have the chance to you do it without blinking 

1 minute ago, Snake said:

And won less games than Kyle Allen will this year with a lower completion percentage. Clearly he only played at back up level according to you guys gage of what a QB needs to do. 

Absolutely nobody is saying "Because Kyle has lost 2 games and is only completing 61% of his passes, he's a backup", lol.  Cam definitely did not play at a "backup" level.  What part of "all time historic rookie season" implies a backup? 

I like Allen but his season is nowhere near the level Cam's was.  That is no knock on Allen - Cam was an insane talent coming into the league.  He accounted for 35 TDs in his rookie year... Insane.

4 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Absolutely nobody is saying "Because Kyle has lost 2 games and is only completing 61% of his passes, he's a backup", lol.  Cam definitely did not play at a "backup" level.  What part of "all time historic rookie season" implies a backup? 

I like Allen but his season is nowhere near the level Cam's was.  That is no knock on Allen - Cam was an insane talent coming into the league.  He accounted for 35 TDs in his rookie year... Insane.

Cam also had a better offense all around that first year. To go off on a tangent he could have put numbers up like that every year if he continued to have that level of talent around him. Also people are saying Allen is back up quality on a regular basis around here which isn't true. Most definitely because we have one of the worst offense lines I've seen in years and a defense close to worst. 

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

Be serious. Sure Allen screwed up and cost us points and that needs to be cleaned up. But that comes with experience and repetition.  Literally every thing he does is for the first time.

Coming back with 2 long drives in the snow on the road in 20 degree weather was very impressive and showed fire and grit. Those are the characteristics that you need in a franchise quarterback, something Cam had as well. They hate to lose and let down their teammates. Look what his players said about him. They play hard for him. And isn't the best leader someone who can elevate the play of those around him.

Allen has been a turnover machine, and repeatedly throws a short ball which forces the receiver who has beaten his man come back for the ball. He should be farther along. I wish those turnovers were the first time. Sorry, I can't rationalize it. I've yet to see him put the team on his back, raise his level of play, make people around him better, and will the team to victory like a legit franchise QB will do (notwithstanding inexperience).

Even in a loss, remember Cam's first game against the Cardinals? That kind of feeling is what franchise QBs make your feel. That's not the case with Kyle

13 minutes ago, Snake said:

Cam also had a better offense all around that first year. To go off on a tangent he could have put numbers up like that every year if he continued to have that level of talent around him. Also people are saying Allen is back up quality on a regular basis around here which isn't true. Most definitely because we have one of the worst offense lines I've seen in years and a defense close to worst. 

Seriously it is fine that Allen isn't Cam or on that level athletically. Few players are. But that doesn't mean he can't be a franchise quarterback down the road. Unless Cam comes back healthy, it isn't a competition. No need to defend Allen. Let's watch and root like hell for him. I am looking forward to see how this turns out.  Our season has already had more twists and turns than most soap operas or mystery novels. We will have tons to talk about once we see where how things turn out. I am enjoying the ride especially if we win on Sunday.  

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Seriously it is fine that Allen isn't Cam or on that level athletically. Few players are. But that doesn't mean he can't be a franchise quarterback down the road. Unless Cam comes back healthy, it isn't a competition. No need to defend Allen. Let's watch and root like hell for him. I am looking forward to see how this turns out.  Our season has already had more twists and turns than most soap operas or mystery novels. We will have tons to talk about once we see where how things turn out. I am enjoying the ride especially if we win on Sunday.  

I agree with enjoying the ride. 

15 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Allen has been a turnover machine, and repeatedly throws a short ball which forces the receiver who has beaten his man come back for the ball. Sorry, I can't rationalize it. I've yet to see him put the team on his back, raise his level of play, make people around him better, and will the team to victory like a legit franchise QB will do, (notwithstanding inexperience).

Even in a loss, remember Cam's first game against the Cardinals? That kind of feeling.

Agree on most points. He is way too green and inexperienced to carry a team. In fact the team is really stepping up to help him succeed.  No knowledgeable fan is crowning him to be the answer, but he is very intriguing. He has the swagger, the leadership quality that others follow him. I hope that his tundra experience is a turning point for the offense as they all step up their game. And those two drives came up 1 yard short of an epic comeback. 

Archived