• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2020 Free Agent QB Market

kungfoodude

Great article by Bill Barnwell here: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28227156/meet-2020-offseason-nfl-quarterback-market-early-predictions-16-players

Here are some of the Panthers mentions...

Teddy Bridgewater

Most likely 2020 status: Free agent. It's difficult to find the ideal fit for Bridgewater, as teams like the Broncos, Buccaneers and Jaguars typically prefer quarterbacks with prototypical size and arm strength. He worked under Panthers offensive coordinator Norv Turner when they were both with the Vikings, and if Carolina moved on from Cam Newton, he could slide into the starting role for the Panthers. Even given his success, it's not impossible to imagine a scenario where Bridgewater sees his options and chooses to stick with the Saints as the starter-in-waiting behind Brees.

Andy Dalton

Unrestricted free agent. I wonder if Dalton is destined to link up with wherever Jay Gruden lands if the former Bengals offensive coordinator gets a job in the NFL this upcoming season. If Jay joins his brother Jon with the Raiders, Dalton could take over for Derek Carr, though the Raiders could be destined to use the extra picks they got from the Bears to try to trade up for a quarterback in the first round of the 2020 draft. If that doesn't work out, Dalton would be a likely short-term replacement for teams like the Chargers and Panthers if they make a change at quarterback.

Cam Newton

No quarterback is dealing with more uncertainty than the 2015 NFL MVP, who has decided to undergo surgery on the foot injury that compromised his 2019 campaign. Newton should be able to return from the injury well before the 2020 season begins, but by the time he suits up for his next game, it will be nearly two years since the last time we saw a healthy Newton shredding opposing defenses.

Part of what makes him so effective, of course, is his ability to pick up first downs with his 6-foot-5, 245-pound frame. After undergoing both foot and shoulder surgeries, it's unclear whether the same quarterback will be waiting on the field come 2020. With Newton entering the final year of his deal at a base salary of $18.6 million, the Panthers will be making an expensive bet on his health if they decide to keep him around.

Of course, the decision on Newton's future will also be preceded and determined by the efforts to find the Panthers a new coach. Owner David Tepper admitted that he fired Ron Rivera before the end of the season to beat other teams to the hiring jump. Part of that process, unquestionably, will involve Newton and his future. The Panthers and their new coach will likely have to make a decision about their 2020 quarterback before Newton has stepped back onto a football field at anything close to 100%.

If I'm forced to make a pick here, I could see the Panthers bringing back Newton and playing out the final year of his contract. With Kyle Allen struggling and rookie third-round pick Will Grier yet to suit up, there's no obvious quarterback of the future on the roster. The Panthers project to pick 12th and don't have any extra selections in April's draft, which would leave them just outside of the typical range where teams find franchise quarterbacks in the draft. And unlike some of the middle-class quarterbacks on this list, we know Newton's upside is literally as one of the best players in football. It's just a question of how likely he is to realize that upside after the injuries.

Most likely 2020 status: Panthers starter. Newton would have no shortage of suitors if he hit free agency, although those would most likely be one-year pacts.

Philip Rivers

Most likely 2020 status: Chargers starter. If Newton left Carolina, though, the Panthers could pursue Rivers as a short-term option. Former Chargers coach Norv Turner is installed as their offensive coordinator, and Rivers went to NC State.

Any thoughts on potential guys you'd want from Barnwell's list?

Best scenario is to keep Cam Newton, but if he's still injured next year, I'd kick the tires on Mariota

Pair him up with someone similar to Greg Roman, and run a heavy zone read offense that takes advantage of his running ability.  He was an elite runner in college and they never really took advantage of that in TEN.

2 minutes ago, bobowilson said:

Best scenario is to keep Cam Newton, but if he's still injured next year, I'd kick the tires on Mariota

Pair him up with someone similar to Greg Roman, and run a heavy zone read offense that takes advantage of his running ability.  He was an elite runner in college and they never really took advantage of that in TEN.

Mariota would be close to the last QB I'd want from that list. I'd take him on a cheap one year deal as a backup.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, if I'm Bridgewater I try to stay put. Brees can't last much longer and they hardly missed a step with Teddy. If the Saints are smart, they might want to let Brees retire and just roll with Teddy for a lot less. 

IDK, it depends on how far Brees is willing to chase all this. As a 27 year old, Bridgewater is probably not making a great decision to stay behind Drew for 2-3 more seasons(if that happened). I think I would jump to the most stable position available and avoid obvious dumpster fires like Miami last year. 

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Mariota would be close to the last QB I'd want from that list. I'd take him on a cheap one year deal as a backup.

I would INFINITELY rather roll the dice on Cam than Mariota. When you get benched for Tannehill and the team immediately starts having a lot more success, well... yeah

The problem with signing someone half competent such as Dalton or Rivers is it's a great way to finish 7-9

If Cam is injured next year, we have to find a franchise qb, and the best way to do that is to tank and draft Trevor Lawrence.  Tepper said he wouldnt accept mediocrity.

Sign Tim T-ebow, run the wishbone, sell a lot of tickets, and get the #1 pick

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Dalton? Rivers?

Hell, I'd rather just stick with Kyle Allen.

Yeah, I am gonna disagree with that.

Dalton is a better version of Allen, obviously, but I can't say that he better enough to warrant the price difference. 

Rivers is infinitely better than Allen but I am not sure how much he has left in the tank. He is on pace for his 7th straight 4000+ yard season, despite all that.

Keeping Cam is the best decision on the Panthers side. Cheap cap hit for a top 15 QB when healthy.

The question is what does Team Cam (agent and himself) want and what do they believe the market for him will be? Do they think they can land a better deal elsewhere? Is he willing to gamble on himself on basically a prove it deal? Or will they seek more security and guaranteed money? Are they willing to just finish the lame duck year without testing the market to see if something better is out there?

That's my biggest concern about this whole situation. 

5 minutes ago, bobowilson said:

The problem with signing someone half competent such as Dalton or Rivers is it's a great way to finish 7-9

If Cam is injured next year, we have to find a franchise qb, and the best way to do that is to tank and draft Trevor Lawrence.  Tepper said he wouldnt accept mediocrity.

Sign Tim T-ebow, run the wishbone, sell a lot of tickets, and get the #1 pick

I can see us pulling an Eagles and trading up. Trevor is the prize but I really like Fields.

3 minutes ago, DubE_4MR said:

Keeping Cam is the best decision on the Panthers side. Cheap cap hit for a top 15 QB when healthy.

The question is what does Team Cam (agent and himself) want and what do they believe the market for him will be? Do they think they can land a better deal elsewhere? Is he willing to gamble on himself on basically a prove it deal? Or will they seek more security and guaranteed money? Are they willing to just finish the lame duck year without testing the market to see if something better is out there?

That's my biggest concern about this whole situation. 

Yeah, as I surveyed that list I saw a lot of guys that we could invest plenty of money in and none of them were better than what Cam has been. ALL of the best options long term or short term would cost as much or more than Cam.

Archived