• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Beat Writer on the current stage in the HC search

ncfan

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

One thing to watch on the assistant front: It's being speculated that Wade Phillips will not be back in Los Angeles next year. His contract is up and apparently there's been no movement toward an extension.

Heaven knows Phillips has tortured us in the past. For the record though, he is 72 years old.

I could definitely see Phillips as an option at DC if someone like McCarthy is hired. Pat Shurmur could at play at OC if McCarthy is our next HC.

49 minutes ago, methodtoll said:

I could definitely see Phillips as an option at DC if someone like McCarthy is hired. Pat Shurmur could at play at OC if McCarthy is our next HC.

Shurmur is a WCO guy so that would be a bit of a change for us.

Of course, we don't know what our next head coach is going to want yet.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

One thing to watch on the assistant front: It's being speculated that Wade Phillips will not be back in Los Angeles next year. His contract is up and apparently there's been no movement toward an extension.

Heaven knows Phillips has tortured us in the past. For the record though, he is 72 years old.

He definitely would have talent to work with and you can tell his frustration with the Rams offense and Sean McVeigh. 

On 12/20/2019 at 2:28 PM, 1of10Charnatives said:

I didn't really know much about him until recently and most of it I've learned through this board, but there's literally nobody out there otherwise that I'm really excited about, and on principal I'm against college coaches because of their low success rate and retreads because bleh, so right now Stefanski is the guy I want.

The one concern I have about stefanski is that he has only about half as much coaching experience as the other major choices. He hasn't really even been at the coordinator level for very long.

Roman and McDaniels both have more well-established track records.

On 12/19/2019 at 4:54 PM, 45catfan said:

I don't know, the Patriots took a chance on some head coach that got canned by Cleveland by the name of Bill Belichick.   Not too bad of a retread.

That guy took the Browns to the playoffs. One of their only two playoff appearances since 1990. That might be more impressive than winning six SBs. 

On 12/19/2019 at 11:25 AM, Captroop said:

Have we considered any minority coaches to this point?

I'm wondering if we started the coaching search early so we could satisfy the Rooney rule.

If you're not able to make a hire without first interviewing a minority candidate, do you think the early start was in part done to satisfy that requirement and "get it out of the way," so to speak? Then if they find the right candidate later, they can hire him on the spot.

I would imagine Perry would get a curtosy interview and would also fulfill the Rooney rule

Archived