• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

One thing that I think is going to be a defining characteristic of this team next season...

PantherBrew

4 hours ago, mc52beast said:

Is going to be different under Rhule but he knows you have to have a veteran presence on the field, people to direct traffic. But yeh, young guys will see significant playing time and not just because of injuries

Hopefully which is why Cam and Like are locks at least for one more season.

2 minutes ago, PantherBrew said:

Im a little confused.  I am the OP and I was speaking directly about his 2017 Roster. 

Ooops! I guess I was confused, thinking you were talking about the 2019 year. I had read an article yesterday that confirmed he basically started from scratch in 2016.

1 hour ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Still shows he’s willing to play young guys which is something Rivera was very hesitant to do.

Seems to me Rhule puts a big value on effort. He’s said as much in past interviews. If you work harder than anyone else through the week, you’ll get your opportunity on game day. 

I’m all for it 

That really is a myth. Obviously if you have a seasoned veteran and a rookie and they possess equal skills you start the vet but you rotate the rookie in until you are comfortable that he understands the system.  Many times people complained Rivera held back rookies and only played vets without realizing he planned to play the rookie once they were ready and often had to accelerate the learning due to injury. But it didn't mean that he didn't see the potential or didn't want them to play. It just means there is a transition from college to the pros and most rookies aren't plug and play 

11 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

Not all coaches are Riveraesque.

But most coaches know young guys make more mistakes and prefer experience. The good thing about Rhule was given how poor the players did before he came there and even during his first year he could take the chance to play rookies even if they made mistakes because the expectations were so low it didn't matter. Kind of like starting a rookie QB after going 2-14.  It isn't a big gamble given that no one expects a turnaround quickly. Rivera wasn't taking a big chance with Cam in 2011 for the same reason.  But it might be a good reason he wasn't going to start a bunch of rookies as the expectations for winning increased.

5 hours ago, GRWatcher said:

That is what I've been saying to posters who seem stuck on his numbers at Baylor alone. He started there by inheriting a team with nothing. Couldn't recruit because of the sex abuse scandal. Players transferring out. Even a new AD. All of which Tepper referenced when he said, "Look what he’s done to build with limited resources and how he’s picked his people and how he’s done this stuff." And, "We’ve got a master developer that never had the resources before and has shown what he can do with less. What do you think he can do with more?"

It’s still a huge gamble. If it pays off, the sky’s the limit. 

28 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

But most coaches know young guys make more mistakes and prefer experience. The good thing about Rhule was given how poor the players did before he came there and even during his first year he could take the chance to play rookies even if they made mistakes because the expectations were so low it didn't matter. Kind of like starting a rookie QB after going 2-14.  It isn't a big gamble given that no one expects a turnaround quickly. Rivera wasn't taking a big chance with Cam in 2011 for the same reason.  But it might be a good reason he wasn't going to start a bunch of rookies as expectations for winning increased.

Some good points.  Are your expectations high at this point concerning this team?  Mine sure the hell are not.

Just now, Paa Langfart said:

Some good points.  Are your expectations high at this point concerning this team?  Mine sure the hell are not.

No. You know I am usually optimistic but after what I am hearing I am pretty concerned we are going to do a complete rebuild and dump a lot of vets and guys who were our core and largely go with young guys and those who have potential over proven commodities.  Tepper is setting the bar so low that I think that he is fine with losing for several years at this point. Good news for Rhule is he can play rookies and young guys and not be whetted to winning. But as I said in another thread this is year 3 for Tepper and after averaging 6 wins a season the first 2, my tolerance for more losing seasons is short. I will stay a fan but may have to rethink spending money buying season tickets  to watch a crap show on the field. I may be in the minority but don't think so.

51 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

That really is a myth. Obviously if you have a seasoned veteran and a rookie and they possess equal skills you start the vet but you rotate the rookie in until you are comfortable that he understands the system.  Many times people complained Rivera held back rookies and only played vets without realizing he planned to play the rookie once they were ready and often had to accelerate the learning due to injury. But it didn't mean that he didn't see the potential or didn't want them to play. It just means there is a transition from college to the pros and most rookies aren't plug and play 

I would tend to agree with you if it was a coach other than Rivera and it was just rookies. How many times has this message board been screaming to bench someone because they're playing like poo, and then it takes another 4 weeks to make a change. CJ Anderson sat on our bench unused for whatever reason and was then cut, only to go on to tear it up for the Rams. Torrey Smith kept starting when he was contributing virtually nothing. Norwell. The are more. Ron has made more than his share of questionable decisions regarding playing time IMO. 

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I would tend to agree with you if it was a coach other than Rivera and it was just rookies. How many times has this message board been screaming to bench someone because they're playing like poo, and then it takes another 4 weeks to make a change. CJ Anderson sat on our bench unused for whatever reason and was then cut, only to go on to tear it up for the Rams. Torrey Smith kept starting when he was contributing virtually nothing. Norwell. The are more. Ron has made more than his share of questionable decisions regarding playing time IMO. 

Wait. How much did CJ do after the Rams for less than half a year. How has Norwell played after shining that one year? Who came in and tore it up when Smith was benched? You make it sound as if these guys were amazing and everyone else but Ron knew it 

I’ve seen plenty of college situations where players were shitty as freshmen, shitty as sophomores, etc, etc.and never got any better.  The  key here is that he actually improved the whole team AND taught them to win.  He essentially did this twice.  There’s something going on here, whether it’s initial player evaluation, teaching technique or inspiration he does have a special process that hopefully carries over to the NFL.

6 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Wait. How much did CJ do after the Rams for less than half a year. How has Norwell played after shining that one year? Who came in and tore it up when Smith was benched? You make it sound as if these guys were amazing and everyone else but Ron knew it 

CJ played in 2 games for the Rams totaling over 300 yards and 2 TDs. He wasn't bad, he just could never see the damn field. What pissed me off about that situation is CMC was playing 98% of the snaps and we cut CJ. CJ should have been getting snaps and he wasn't. Ron was doing to CMC the same thing he did to Cam and was running him into the ground. Norwell replaced Amini who was just fugging terrible and played 4 seasons here. Smith had 17 catches in 11 games. We had Moore and Samuel and both needed PT and could have contributed more than Smith or Funchess for that matter. I'm not saying that they were amazing, I'm saying the guys they replaced were obviously not getting the job done other than CJ.

Archived