• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

One thing that I think is going to be a defining characteristic of this team next season...

PantherBrew

We could be reallllllyy young with A LOT of new faces.  This is from the Athletic that stood out to me. 

“To me, the key to being a great leader is not to make excuses and complain, but to get to work,” Rhule said. “Figure it out. So what we did at both of those places, we found the guys that were going to fit. If they were freshmen, they were freshmen. If they were seniors, they were seniors. We played them. We gave them experience, and we played them through the adversity.

Also, this is from an article after his first season at Baylor, previewing his second season. 

If you watched a Baylor game last year, it was like watching a team of replacement players during an NFL strike. You became that fan from Major League, asking “Who are these f***ing guys?”

Freshman Charlie Brewer ended up throwing the most passes.

Freshman running back John Lovett had the most carries.

Sophomores Denzel Mims and Tony Nicholson, who had combined for four career receptions heading into 2017, caught the most passes.

Of 60 offensive line starts, 35 went to guys who had never started a game before 2017.

Rush end Brian Nance (7.5 tackles in 2015, missed 2016 with grade issues) led defensive linemen in tackles.

Freshman Jalen Pitre started at strongside linebacker. Sophomores Eric Ogor (3.5 career tackles) and Henry Black (zero) saw quite a few snaps as well.

Freshman Harrison Hand led the secondary in tackles, and Verkedric Vaughns (14 tackles in 2016), Jameson Houston (14), Chris Miller (five), Rajah Preciado (4.5), Blake Lynch (zero), Jairon McVea (zero), Timarcus Davis (freshman), and Taion Sells (missed 2016) all saw rotation time.

This was a controlled burn of a depth chart if ever one existed.

We know why, of course. Rhule inherited a program that was dealing with a massive sexual assault problem and coming off of a season with an interim coach. Plenty of guys had already left, and plenty more were about to.

That is what I've been saying to posters who seem stuck on his numbers at Baylor alone. He started there by inheriting a team with nothing. Couldn't recruit because of the sex abuse scandal. Players transferring out. Even a new AD. All of which Tepper referenced when he said, "Look what he’s done to build with limited resources and how he’s picked his people and how he’s done this stuff." And, "We’ve got a master developer that never had the resources before and has shown what he can do with less. What do you think he can do with more?"

He played young guys because he had little to lose. Expectations are low and if they lost, so what. So why play juniors and seniors if you aren't going to win anyway. So he played young guys he brought in to build for the long term. That is great if you have the time to do that. Wouldn't be surprised if Rhule does that because Tepper is setting the bar low again. But it won't work in 3 years with much higher expectations to win. I wonder if there was a difference between how many rookies he started year 1 and 2 versus year 4 at Baylor for example...

3 hours ago, PantherBrew said:

We could be reallllllyy young with A LOT of new faces.  This is from the Athletic that stood out to me. 

Also, this is from an article after his first season at Baylor, previewing his second season. 

That and by nature college teams are much larger and haven't already been cherry picked from a pool of high end talent...only the best college players usually even step foot on NFL grass.

44 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Doesn't mean they were the best he had on the team or his choices. 

Still shows he’s willing to play young guys which is something Rivera was very hesitant to do.

Seems to me Rhule puts a big value on effort. He’s said as much in past interviews. If you work harder than anyone else through the week, you’ll get your opportunity on game day. 

I’m all for it 

Archived