• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Luke be remembered by the world as one of the best?

Hotsauce

As a Saints fan and longtime football fan, I see LK easily as a first ballot HOFamer. One of the best LB's I have ever seen and I have been watching the NFL since the 60's. He never made a false first step. His ability to diagnose a play was uncanny. He was quick and tough and a great tackler. I am sorry to see his career end so soon, but I understand his concerns. You could see the pain in his eyes during his retirement announcement that he would love to continue playing though.

We need to get Sam Mills in as well. Both our teams loved him. He was a great player, great leader, great coach and most importantly he was a very special man. He needs to be voted in as well.

For all you naysayers about Luke & the HOF, please send me $20 when he is inducted, because he will be. 

Will he be known as the greatest? Probably not because he cut short that extraordinary trajectory. But he has way too many accolades & accomplishments to miss a yellow jacket.

On 1/15/2020 at 8:33 AM, 1of10Charnatives said:

Out of curiousity, do you know anything about the makeup, turnover on that committee? Because while Gantt is a voter now, obviously Luke isn't even eligible for five years. Would Gantt still be a voter then?

Gantt wouldn't have to be. The guy has mad respect from people all over.

For any football lover, Kuechly was a joy to watch, one of the best inside linebackers to ever do it. As a Hall of Fame voter, he absolutely passed the “you just know it when you see it” test and his vast accomplishments back it up.

Five-time first-team All-Pro. Two-time second-team All-Pro. Defensive Player of the Year (2013). Defensive Rookie of the Year (2012). Seven Pro Bowls.

Superb.

While I am only one Hall of Fame voter, just one member of the 48-person selection committee that meets before every Super Bowl to immortalize the next group of football legends, I won’t be holding early retirements against these great players, provided more continue to do it. 

In a case like, say, Frank Gore, longevity will be used as a plus. Not having a relatively “short” career won’t be a negative for others.

So when it comes to the Hall of Fame,  [Calvin] Johnson is an easy yes vote for me. 

So is Willis. 

So is Gronk. 

So is Kuechly.

It’s about asking whether said players improved the game while they were in it, and whether they were truly elite at what they did year after year. It’s about asking if said players earned the respect of their opponents with their play on the field, and whether they brought new fans to the game by showcasing their prodigious talents for a sustained period. 

The eye test matters. All-Pro selections matter. All-Decade selections matter. So do annual awards like MVP, offensive and defensive player of the years. Hell, even Pro Bowls matter for my vote. Because when taken as a collective accumulation, they reflect the impact a player has had on the game, number of years be damned.

Terez Paylor

Senior NFL writer

Archived