• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Beating the Saints

Rhys

The Saints are now ranked 11th overall in run defense. It has been established that last nights game exposed somewhat of a weakness in their defensive front. Early on Turner, who had yet to really show up this season, was able to gash them on multiple occasions with big yardage runs. I feel that a large part of the reason the Saints were previously ranked so high against the run is because of their offense. Prior to last nights game, teams playing the Saints were scored on quickly and played catch-up, having to rely heavily on the pass. The Saints would prefer this, having a DB crew that forces turnovers.

We're built to beat the Saints. If any team knows how to do it, we do. Run the ball continuously soaking up time and keeping their offense off the field, sprinkle in high percentage/ low risk passes to loosen the run game just a tad, play stifling but cautious defense rushing the front 4 most times and utilizing loaded DB packages. Most importantly, DON'T GO INTO PANIC MODE, do not throw the ball against this team. IF they get ahead a little, we cannot begin passing excessively. Not only can Jake be a liability when throwing in excessive amounts, but it almost certainly means turnovers against a ball-hawking secondary.

The Saints love it when you blitz them, because that means more open field for their receiving corps, and Brees has shown that he does not crack under pressure. So, load the secondary just as we did against Arizona, and apply as much pressure as you can with your front 4, something we should be able to do.

If we try to beat them through the air, it will bite us in the ass. We need to soak up time, and batter their defensive front. Once our tailbacks make it to the secondary, it should be smooth sailing. I will take D-Will or J-Stew one on one, or one on two against any of their DB's all day long.

My humble prediction if we follow this course of action (barring another Jake meltdown)

Panthers - 31

Saints - 21

We're built to beat the Saints. If any team knows how to do it, we do.

I agree. And I also agree that I don't want to see Jake throw the ball a lot, but we would be much more competitive if we could hit Smith or the other receivers or tight-ends on some deep play action passes.

But I agree completely that we shouldn't throw it any more than we have to. They have a very good secondary.

If there's one thing Fox knows how to do it's build a defense that can challenge the top offense in the division. For a while it was ATL with Vick, right now I believe this is a defense built to stop NO. NO has a balanced attack that prevents teams from focusing on one thing but we have the linebackers that can do both equally well.

it doesn't look like the saints have good special teams either

Their punt returns have been terrible but they are #8 overall on average kickoff return yards and we are dead last at covering kickoffs. Unless Lloyd kicks every ball out of the back of the end zone that could really come back to bite us.

Saints offense with good field position = we lose

You got to remember. Shaun Ellis Saints DT was out in that game. That is why theeir D got destroyed last night by turner. If shaun was in the game the saints would have stuffed that running game. So panthers better take advangte of that whole in the D this week by running.

Sedrick Ellis* and yeah his loss hurts as he gets double teamed often and is good against the run. Fujita being out (SLB) also led to a weakened run D, but he should be back this weekend. It would not surprise me to see Williams and Stewart go for 150-200 combined yards, but the question is will that be enough?

Sedrick Ellis* and yeah his loss hurts as he gets double teamed often and is good against the run. Fujita being out (SLB) also led to a weakened run D, but he should be back this weekend. It would not surprise me to see Williams and Stewart go for 150-200 combined yards, but the question is will that be enough?

No, Jake will have to get one or two through the air as well.

Lets not forget that Jake has never lost a start in the Superdome.

Thank you...but who knows if Jake will even last the entire game if he gets hit hard one good time?

I expect the passing game to be better this week than it has been all season if Jake has no lingering injuries from last week because of how he usually plays against his former team, and because I said before last week that the Arizona game would be the resurrection.

Panthers 31

Stains 26

I really believe we should play primarily in a 4-2-5 against these guys. Now, I know thats not our base, but it's called a game plan, and the I've seen the 4-2-5 defense slow down both power running attacks and high flying passing attacks. I know this isn't college football, but TCU runs this defense to perfection and not only have the Horned Frogs slowed down many a high powered offense with this formation, teams that run this formation in general have been having increased success against offenses that throw the ball and run up the middle. The Saints play like a college offense in many ways, the obvious difference is they play it with professionals, which is why there so explosive, but we have professional players, so it should even out, and spare me your comments about our players being professional.

Now, I'm not jumping on the Sherrod Martin is great bandwagon just yet, but his play last week gives us the ability to run a 4-2-5 against the Saints. Our front four obviously wouldn't change much, although if I were calling things, the base front four we use against the Saints would be Peppers, Thomas, Tyler, and Johnson, with Lewis and Brown coming in on obvious passing down, and I might send Brayton in at DT, again in obvious passing downs. Now, if Godfrey is healthy, I would line Beason and Davis up as my two linebackers, with Gamble and Marshall as the CB's and Harris, Godfrey, and Martin would be my three safeties, with Munnerlyn rotating in as as the 5th back on the field. Now, If Godfrey can't go, no biggie, we should take advantage of TD's safety roots and drop him back as a spy safety, and again rotate Munnerlyn in as the 5th defensive back on the field. When Davis lines up as more of a spy safety, I'd send Dan Connor in as the second Linebacker, because I truly believe Nai'l Diggs being on the field will hurt us against the Saints. There is no room on the field for average players against this Saints team.

I feel good about this game with the Saints. I actually thought Atlanta would beat them, if nothing else, because of the law of averages. It looks like teams can score against the Saints, and the Jets held them to one offensive TD when they played earlier in the season, so they are not invincible on either side of the ball.

We swept them last year, and dare I make a comment that maybe, just maybe, we are getting where we need to be? The defense looked good the against the Cards, the offense finally stepped up, and if we can just get our special teams on sound footing, I think we have a real shot this Sunday. And those laws of averages are in our favor now. They are 7-0, and that's darned hard to sustain.

Archived