• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For those who want to tank for Trevor Lawrence?

Real1zOnly

Just now, stbugs said:

And what happened after 2010? We got to pick Cam #1 and Luke #9. Would we have made the playoffs 4 out of 5 years and had the amazing 2015 season if the team decided we owed it to the fans and tried to field an 8-8 team in 2010 and 2011? Just think big picture. If there’s less people in the stands this year and we build a multi-year contender because of the high picks we get, who cares?

And how many of those first round QBs don't work out?  Do you think Lawrence is on par with Cam. Part of what made Cam so great was the fact he represented something new that defenses weren't prepared for. Now dual threat quarterbacks are more the norm than the exception. No guarantee anyone we tank for will be that great.

And the idea that we will end up 8-8 if we don't go full on tank mode is stupid logic. Teams don't have to tank to be good in a few years. Truth is most teams with very high draft picks continue to struggle like Cleveland, Jacksonville etc.  I hate the big picture argument. How about I just suspend my PSLs and season tickets until we have a contender? Maybe all of you who have no skin in the game can just cavalierly ignore the present and wait for 5 years but not me. I bet most PSL owners who built this team don't feel the same way.Good luck getting a new stadium when we can't fill up the one we have.

10 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Tepper pays the salaries whether fans show up or not.  Whether he gets a return on his investment will depend on how the team he builds competes.  Fans come and go when the team is as inconsistent as the Panthers are.  That's the nature of the game.  Just like with anything else in life other than taxes no one if forcing you to spending your money in supporting this team.  I certainly do not and probably won't until is see a consistently competitive team.  But to each their own.

With what money do you think???  How about 62000 times 1000 dollars or 62 million plus more in amenities and millions more in viewership. And yes I am forced to buy season tickets or lose thousands by losing the PSLs which you can't sell for 1/5 of what I paid for them. Atlanta is struggling as folks are turning in their PSLs because they don't want to pay more money for tickets to fund a losing product. I predict that we won't be far behind if we go full tank mode.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

And how many of those first round QBs don't work out?  Do you think Lawrence is on par with Cam. Part of what made Cam so great was the fact he represented something new that defenses weren't prepared for. Now dual threat quarterbacks are more the norm than the exception. No guarantee anyone we tank for will be that great.

And the idea that we will end up 8-8 if we don't go full on tank mode is stupid logic. Teams don't have to tank to be good in a few years. Truth is most teams with very high draft picks continue to struggle like Cleveland, Jacksonville etc.  I hate the big picture argument. How about I just suspend my PSLs and season tickets until we have a contender? Maybe all of you who have no skin in the game can just cavalierly ignore the present and wait for 5 years but not me. I bet most PSL owners who built this team don't feel the same way.Good luck getting a new stadium when we can't fill up the one we have.

Go ahead and sell if you don’t think the team is going in the direction you want. My bet is they’ll still have more than enough to pay the players. It’s your decision to sell low and then have to buy back in later at higher prices. Fans don’t have near the leverage they think they do.

Many teams do continue to struggle. Would I advocate tanking if Blake Bortles or Brady Quinn or Brandon Weedon or even Baker Mayfield were the top QBs? No. Do I think Trevor is a Wilson, Cam, Mahomes, Manning, Brady, Watson, Roethlisberger, etc. type QB who could give you a team that can compete for a title and make the playoffs multiple years? Yes. I would be freaking ecstatic to get Lawrence.

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

With what money do you think???  How about 62000 times 1000 dollars or 62 million plus more in amenities and millions more in viewership. And yes I am forced to buy season tickets or lose thousands by losing the PSLs which you can't sell for 1/5 of what I paid for them. Atlanta is struggling as folks are turning in their PSLs because they don't want to pay more money for tickets to fund a losing product. I predict that we won't be far behind if we go full tank mode.

Full on tank mode. Don’t be so dramatic. So you think the 1-15 second half records we’ve had the past two years isn’t driving away fans already? Don’t act like we have a competitive team. We don’t. We’re already rebuilding.

Let me ask you this. If you felt Lawrence could have a Peyton Manning like career, would you rather sit on the sidelines for FA and get the top pick or field a more competitive team and have the 10th pick after going 7-9? Sorry, I’ll forego another mediocre year to draft a CB in the 1st. Give me 2-14 and the top pick that can change the team back to a contender.

Give us your fail proof plan to make the playoffs this year. 

Just now, 4Corners said:

If Lawrence is so good why doesn’t he sit out this season and train with professional QB coaches? Is it because he doesn’t want to take a pay cut while not being at Clempson?

Dude, you’re useless. Maybe because he’s only 20 and needs to continue to improve. Maybe he would like to win the NC, again. The names you come up for other schools is so cute too.

The first step in all these "tank for such and such" scenarios is the guy has to not be a massive bust. There's no guarantee. Yet reading about Trevor Lawrence here you would think there was. Which interests me considering the talk about Cam Newton as a prospect all those years ago. Seems like the tone shifts when the quarterback in question has a more marketable complexion and looks like he just stepped off the set of Point Break.

9 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I think he has about 11 billion in his pocket that can cover that 62 million if need be.  If his team continues to suck he will lose money.   And they are not "tanking" it's rebuilding with the expectation that it will probably not be pretty for a while.  

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Go ahead and sell if you don’t think the team is going in the direction you want. My bet is they’ll still have more than enough to pay the players. It’s your decision to sell low and then have to buy back in later at higher prices. Fans don’t have near the leverage they think they do.

Many teams do continue to struggle. Would I advocate tanking if Blake Bortles or Brady Quinn or Brandon Weedon or even Baker Mayfield were the top QBs? No. Do I think Trevor is a Wilson, Cam, Mahomes, Manning, Brady, Watson, Roethlisberger, etc. type QB who could give you a team that can compete for a title and make the playoffs multiple years? Yes. I would be freaking ecstatic to get Lawrence.

Trust me if I sell my PSLs I won't be buying back in. It is getting to where the home experience and cheap food and beer outweighs spending all day at the stadium to routinely watch opposing fans march out of the stadium victorious week after week.  As for leverage it isn't about trying to.make Tepper do anything. Is is simply pointing out that without fans the team is irrelevant. Ask most of the Florida fans how it works out to play in front of empty stadiums where opposing fans outnumber home fans on a weekly basis.

As for Lawrence, he is a product of who is around him not the other way around. When Cam.played for Auburn he was the offense. Lawrence is a good quarterback but surely not an exceptional.athletic talent like Cam was.

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Dude, you’re useless. Maybe because he’s only 20 and needs to continue to improve. Maybe he would like to win the NC, again. The names you come up for other schools is so cute too.

I don’t see how playing on one of the best teams money can buy against average/below average competition while risking serious injury is advantageous for Lawrence or will improve his game. He probably doesn’t want the steady influx of Clempson booster money to suddenly stop. 

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

I think he has about 11 billion in his pocket that can cover that 62 million if need be.  If his team continues to suck he will lose money.   And they are not "tanking" it's rebuilding with the expectation that it will probably not be pretty for a while.  

You think he got 11 billion based on his own money or other folks. You obviously don't know how this works. Rich folks make money off other folks. They are in it to make money not spend their own money.

Just now, panthers55 said:

You think he got 11 billion based on his own money or other folks. You obviously don't know how this works. Rich folks make money off other folks. They are in it to make money not spend their own money.

Of course he is in it to make money.  He's doing it his way, not the way fans want to see it.  If you do not like the way he is running his team you don't have to be a fan.  As for myself I am just watching it all unfold and getting a laugh at how emotional some of you are getting over this.  

Archived