• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thoughts on Cam and the rebuild

AU-panther

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean, our new coach supposedly wants to keep him. If you are saying he doesn't know WTF he is doing with the rebuild that is probably a bad sign immediately.

I don't know whether Newton is going to be here this season or not, but there are a couple of things I feel comfortable saying:

One, whatever happens this season, the Panthers have given zero indication that they're committed to Newton beyond 2020. That could change, but given the circumstances a lot would have to happen.

Two, as far as this year, again I don't know the future but one thing I'm not taking very seriously are comments from the team and Rhule. Years of watching the league has taught me that teams will talk about a player like they're committed to keeping him forever right up until the second they trade him. And while teams like the Lions have made definitive "no way we're trading you" statements to their guy, the Panthers have not.

And three, as many have alluded to, if we're talking about Newton's best interests, it's pretty hard to justify him staying with the Panthers. I know it sucks as a fan to see player favorites in another uniform, but if we're being objective it'd be pretty tough to say that Newton's best opportunity is in Carolina. Heck, even guys like Thomas Davis say otherwise.

I'm not about to try and predict what's going to happen, but I know those three things are true.

10 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Here is where the timing is off in this entire episode.  If you let him walk then you basically wasted an entire year of your franchise rebuild just to see if he can play.  That doesnt make sense.  At all.  He is going to want a new deal with whoever and that is going to be pricey.  Tepper has already said that limits things organizationally.  Lets be honest here.  Vegas has us as being one of the worst teams in the league right now.  We have so many holes to fill its mind bogging.  Lets say cam plays, wills us to 8 wins (and come on thats being generous) then what?  You sign him?  So you are basically rolling him out knowing what the outcome is already and hence you lose a year by having to start over with a new qb.

Which leads to another thought about cam staying.  What if we draft one?  Is cam going to play knowing this is his absolute last year with the team?  I doubt it.  Why would he?

I think its like you said, Cams people find it more advantageous for a fresh start with a new team.  Question is where?

And all of that what I just posted is basically factoring in that Cam gets healthy which obviously is a huge question mark as we sit here in early march.

I have nothing against him, but like I have said numerous times about this, the timing on just about every factor involved is off.  The surgery, the shoulder, the contract, etc.  Everything is just lining up for him to get dealt.  Chicago would be fools to not offer a 3rd for him.

What's not lining up in your argument is we get a third if Cam walks next year. Why trade him for a third? But why would another team trade him for a second? Really if you deal Newton it needs to be for another player and a pick and that gets complex. 

12 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't know whether Newton is going to be here this season or not, but there are a couple of things I feel comfortable saying:

One, whatever happens this season, the Panthers have given zero indication that they're committed to Newton beyond 2020. That could change, but given the circumstances a lot would have to happen.

Two, as far as this year, again I don't know the future but one thing I'm not taking very seriously are comments from the team and Rhule. Years of watching the league has taught me that teams will talk about a player like they're committed to keeping him forever right up until the second they trade him. And while teams like the Lions have made definitive "no way we're trading you" statements to their guy, the Panthers have not.

And three, as many have alluded to, if we're talking about Newton's best interests, it's pretty hard to justify him staying with the Panthers. I know it sucks as a fan to see player favorites in another uniform, but if we're being objective it'd be pretty tough to say that Newton's best opportunity is in Carolina. Heck, even guys like Thomas Davis say otherwise.

I'm not about to try and predict what's going to happen, but I know those three things are true.

I think the only thing that really has to happen is for him to stay healthy. One thing we are going to have plenty of in 2021 and moving forward is cap space. The new CBA is going to push the cap higher and the financial commitments we have to most of our players is going to be minimal. 

Two, as far as the public comments, I haven't seen anything to indicate we need to read between the lines about the statements from Rhule or Cam. We still have the full free agency and draft slate left but nothing is indicating Cam wants to be moved nor that the team wants to move Cam. 

Could it happen? Sure. Is it likely at this point? No. As far as his best opportunity, it is obviously not with us because this is a bad franchise. But, good and great players don't always leave bad franchises. 

8 hours ago, Snake said:

What's not lining up in your argument is we get a third if Cam walks next year. Why trade him for a third? But why would another team trade him for a second? Really if you deal Newton it needs to be for another player and a pick and that gets complex. 

You trade him for a 3rd to free up space and get a pick this year.  I have a feeling we are going to need all the cap space we can afford to fill out the 202 roster.

Of course all of that is contingent on him being healthy which he isnt currently.  Its going to get really interesting when the minicamps and practices start up.

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

You trade him for a 3rd to free up space and get a pick this year.  I have a feeling we are going to need all the cap space we can afford to fill out the 202 roster.

Of course all of that is contingent on him being healthy which he isnt currently.  Its going to get really interesting when the minicamps and practices start up.

We don't need to free up space this year. We don't need picks we could just get next year. We are not in a win now situation. Unless we are trading Cam for a first or second it really doesn't add up. Next year we will have a ton of space and tons of holes to boot. Even more than this year. We will need extra picks next year. 

Archived