• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stock Market seems volatile

Happy Panther

1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

So decided to bite the bullet and by a few shares of Amazon. Beast of a company and wanted to get in Before the 20 -1 split.   

I thought about it.  Leaning toward adding some Google instead.  Same split coming with them.    

On 3/17/2022 at 8:14 AM, Squirrel said:

So decided to bite the bullet and by a few shares of Amazon. Beast of a company and wanted to get in Before the 20 -1 split.   

you could still purchase the day of the 20-1 split for the same amount of money you're considering now (EARLY in the day!!!) and ride that wave from there.   

I predict that when the split occurs, the stock will end up *around* $175/$200 (could be as low as $150, but I doubt it).  It'll probably go up about $100 in the first week as the casual investor jumps in.

We should see slightly less volatility in AMZN vs what we've had due to the lower price point.  (ie no $100+ point daily swings for a while, but maybe $15-20 instead)

15 hours ago, Happy Panther said:

I have been buying the dip. Today's purchase was NFLX.

NFLX (and Hulu, and Meta.... and Disney+ etc) all have the same rough problem:   once you've already signed up the entire world for your service, how do you get more revenue without causing current subscribers to get frustrated and leave?

59 minutes ago, PanthersATL said:

you could still purchase the day of the 20-1 split for the same amount of money you're considering now (EARLY in the day!!!) and ride that wave from there.   

I predict that when the split occurs, the stock will end up *around* $175/$200 (could be as low as $150, but I doubt it).  It'll probably go up about $100 in the first week as the casual investor jumps in.

We should see slightly less volatility in AMZN vs what we've had due to the lower price point.  (ie no $100+ point daily swings for a while, but maybe $15-20 instead)

Yeah wanted to build up my holding before then. Right now I'm at average post split price of $150.  Thinking $200 will be the actual post split price so that should give a profit of $3000. But planning to hold Amazon for a very long time. They are getting their fingers into everything.  Would be a good breakup play down the road. 

2 hours ago, PanthersATL said:

NFLX (and Hulu, and Meta.... and Disney+ etc) all have the same rough problem:   once you've already signed up the entire world for your service, how do you get more revenue without causing current subscribers to get frustrated and leave?

Disney at least isn't a pure streaming play but gives you a taste of it.   I keep thinking about buying Disney but never do. 

6 hours ago, PanthersATL said:

Hypothetically this should be priced in. Disney is sticking around because it is so diversified.

im more worried about a P/E of 32

Edited by Happy Panther

3 hours ago, Happy Panther said:

Hypothetically this should be priced in. Disney is sticking around because it is so diversified.

Priced in for current state, yes.   Long term business plan relies on a never-ending supply of new people who need to be hooked in as subscribers

On 3/18/2022 at 9:31 AM, Squirrel said:

But planning to hold Amazon for a very long time. They are getting their fingers into everything.  Would be a good breakup play down the road. 

Early estimates are there should be about an 8% upside bump post-split, good for long-term holders  (this isn't taking into account annual benefits from their increased advertising sales, AWS improvements, etc)

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this about how more than just a few people are a bit unhappy with Robin Hood

Lots of comments about account freezes, inability to move money out of the account or otherwise access money, can't sell assets in a timely manner, etc.  

Other than the cryptocurrency aspect, what does RobinHood do that Schwab/Fidelity/eTrade/etc aren't?

:  https://gizmodo.com/robinhood-ftc-complaints-covid-19-pandemic-1848766631

• 4 weeks later...