• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That was idiotic. I understand why he said it, but it was still idiotic. He said it because supplies were low and they wanted to ensure that what supplies there were could be directed to medical professionals. Still, when you blatantly lie to people you have to understand you're destroying your credibility and public health officials have to maintain their credibility.

I don't think it was idiotic at all, nor do I think he was lying.  It was simply a matter of prioritizing the greatest need.  Just like an emergency room has to triage cases from a major accident. 

Sure, it would have been ideal if we could have told the general population to wear masks, but there simply were not enough to do that and also keep the front line workers safe.  At the time, there were limited resources, and getting masks was very difficult because we hadn't ramped up production yet...not to mention that, like toilet paper, there were people hoarding whatever they could get their hands on.  And hospitals had very real concerns that the doctors and nurses were going to run out of masks and other basic protections they desperately needed. 

So, Fouci was just saying we have to prioritize healthcare workers until we can produce more masks.  And with stay at home orders and many businesses closing or working from home, the need was far greater for those dealing directly with the virus every day.

17 minutes ago, stirs said:

https://theweek.com/speedreads/922590/nearly-onethird-icu-coronavirus-patients-houston-hospital-system-are-reportedly-under-50

Guess it just depends on who you ask.

Weird how nobody can land on the same thing when it is numbers

Look at the graph. Those numbers were from a week and a half ago. 50% isn't far off from 60% anyway. I have to imagine the CEO of the hospital likely has more up to date info at his disposal regarding his hospital than the media.

• Pie 2

17 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Yeah, strawmen are annoying and weasly right? So how about you not go down that road next time. Don’t play dirty and expect me not to get in the mud with you if that’s how you want to play it.

The operative word in all of my posts has been “trends”...everything you’ve posted thus far demonstrates to me that you have no clue what trends are, and I’m not gonna help you with something that you can google on your own time. I’ve repeatedly stated that NY is trending in the right direction, Florida however is not.

So you went from arguing a strawman to now making me argue someone else’s claim about NY being COVID-free. Jesus, how about you just clue me in on what exactly you would like me to argue cause I can’t keep up with your ever changing version of it.

The numbers are not that far off between the two.  The real difference is that New York completed fuged themselves and it was an unspeakable hell, so now when they get their numbers down closer to Florida they look like frickin heros. 

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Look at the graph. Those numbers were from a week and a half ago. 50% isn't far off from 60% anyway. I have to imagine the CEO of the hospital likely has more up to date info at his disposal regarding his hospital than the media.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/28/us/coronavirus-hospital-houston.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Another saying 1/3, but again, I don't trust the media either.  This article was yesterday

2 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

The numbers are not that far off between the two.  The real difference is that New York completed fuged themselves and it was an unspeakable hell, so now when they get their numbers down closer to Florida they look like frickin heros. 

Trends are very relevant in terms of pandemics. I'm definitely not defending NY or NYC in any way. They did a terrible job. But, they're currently trending the right direction. The likes of Florida, Arizona, South Carolina, etc. definitely aren't. 

Just now, stirs said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/28/us/coronavirus-hospital-houston.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Another saying 1/3, but again, I don't trust the media either.  This article was yesterday

Both sources you're quoting with the 1/3 number are talking specifically about ICU, not general hospitalization. The CEO of the hospital was quoting general hospitalization numbers.

• Pie 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Both sources you're quoting with the 1/3 number are talking specifically about ICU, not general hospitalization. The CEO of the hospital was quoting general hospitalization numbers.

I also wonder if they are really distinguishing between COVID and other hospitalizations.  Many people were waiting a long time for things to relax so they could have surgery for example.  So many things were put on hold.  Many hospitals in my area were mostly empty

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Trends are very relevant in terms of pandemics. I'm definitely not defending NY or NYC in any way. They did a terrible job. But, they're currently trending the right direction. The likes of Florida, Arizona, South Carolina, etc. definitely aren't. 

Yes, when you really, really suck at something you will tend to trend the right way.

Just now, stirs said:

I also wonder if they are really distinguishing between COVID and other hospitalizations.  Many people were waiting a long time for things to relax so they could have surgery for example.  So many things were put on hold.  Many hospitals in my area were mostly empty

good grief...

1 minute ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

Fear not guys, Dan Forest is suing for your right to scratch your nuts in the dining area at Applebees like the founding fathers intended

But with the mask, I am also wearing a cup, so it just won't work for me