• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why we should consider OT, or atleast pretend to

AU-panther

Just now, 45catfan said:

I'm in no way a Hurney apologist, but his first round philosophy of BPA is one of the few things he's done right.  If the Panthers board says these's a better player at #7, then I don't think they reach for Thomas.

Maybe but you cannot even argue that our oline is shot right now and has been for years.   Trading up for Little was just a damn panic move.

17 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Paradis was so bad last year I can't do more than hope he does better and hope we have a solid plan B. Larson is like a plan D. 

why we should pick a center by the 2nd no later than 3rd for a young Center

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Maybe but you cannot even argue that our oline is shot right now and has been for years.   Trading up for Little was just a damn panic move.

Agreed, but that was Hurney in round 2.  It's amazing how he strays so far off the path after the first round.  I see the tackle class this year as deep, not so much talented.  Better than last year's class?  Absolutely, but when two RTs are the best tackle prospects, then it's not as dynamic as it would seem on the surface.  If all these guys were LTs, then it would be silly to pass up OT this year, but as it stands, teams are timid about taking the most two talent tackles (right tackles) and projecting them to the left side.

15 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Really? Thomas is widely regarded as the least attractive of the four OT prospects.  Many BBs have Becton rated higher for LT.  You are reaching for need and not taking BPA.

Just cause he is the least attractive doesn't mean he is the worst of the lot.  All will have their faults.  

6 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Agreed, but that was Hurney in round 2.  It's amazing how he strays so far off the path after the first round.  I see the tackle class this year as deep, not so much talented.  Better than last year's class?  Absolutely, but when two RTs are the best tackle prospects, then it's not as dynamic as it would seem on the surface.  If all these guys were LTs, then it would be silly to pass up OT this year, but as it stands, teams are timid about taking the most two talent tackles (right tackles) and projecting them to the left side.

We can always move Moton to LG and let him study under Okung for a year and then use Okung's money next year to resign Moton with Willis on the right side.

2 minutes ago, cmichd said:

We can always move Moton to LG and let him study under Okung for a year and then use Okung's money next year to resign Moton with Willis on the right side.

See, that's the conundrum.  If we really think Wills is going to lock down RT 10-12+ years, why would we switch him?  One hole is filled, but then the question goes right back to LT.  Yeah, we have Okung for this year, but what about LT next year?  Is Moton the answer? The unfortunate situation is we have too many holes to fill in one year.  Many spots will have JAGs there this season and still even a few for the 2021 season.  2022 is the soonest we can realistically hope for something resembling a solid, super competitive roster.

3 hours ago, 45catfan said:

See, that's the conundrum.  If we really think Wills is going to lock down RT 10-12+ years, why would we switch him?  One hole is filled, but then the question goes right back to LT.  Yeah, we have Okung for this year, but what about LT next year?  Is Moton the answer? The unfortunate situation is we have too many holes to fill in one year.  Many spots will have JAGs there this season and still even a few for the 2021 season.  2022 is the soonest we can realistically hope for something resembling a solid, super competitive roster.

I just looked at all the Combine grades...they all had a rating in the 6.40 to 6.70 as Prospect Grade.  They all have a weakness that the defense can exploit and they all have strengths that will be beneficial.  If you want an athletic freak then you take Wirfs and if you want a big boy freak you can take Becton and Thomas slid a little bit.  If you want a 2nd round choice you could look at Peart from UConn.  But Wirf's and Becton look to be the top two from the combines at this moment.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-position-rankings-offensive-tackles

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/3/3/21161401/nfl-draft-2020-offensive-tackles-combine-mekhi-becton-tristan-wirfs-andrew-thomas

1 hour ago, cmichd said:

I just looked at all the Combine grades...they all had a rating in the 6.40 to 6.70 as Prospect Grade.  They all have a weakness that the defense can exploit and they all have strengths that will be beneficial.  If you want an athletic freak then you take Wirfs and if you want a big boy freak you can take Becton and Thomas slid a little bit.  If you want a 2nd round choice you could look at Peart from UConn.  But Wirf's and Becton look to be the top two from the combines at this moment.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-position-rankings-offensive-tackles

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/3/3/21161401/nfl-draft-2020-offensive-tackles-combine-mekhi-becton-tristan-wirfs-andrew-thomas

Everyone wants to knock Thomas because he might not have quite the ceiling of the others, but he probably has best college production of the 4.  If

he falls to that 15 range someone might get a heck of a steal.

Will be interesting to look back in a few years, classic example of measurables vs production.

Personally I think his measurables are plenty good enough to transition successful at the next level.

26 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Everyone wants to knock Thomas because he might not have quite the ceiling of the others, but he probably has best college production of the 4.  If

he falls to that 15 range someone might get a heck of a steal.

Will be interesting to look back in a few years, classic example of measurables vs production.

Personally I think his measurables are plenty good enough to transition successful at the next level.

Not knocking Thomas just saying what the combine said but he has played the position and he knows what it takes.  He will get beat but just like a CB does.  They are on an island just can't take it personally.  If Thomas or Wirfs were at 7 I would flip the coin and take the winner.  I don't think you could lose on either one.

What did the combine really say though? Everyone gets caught up in Wirfs' 40 time and Becton's 40 at his size but a 40 time isn't much of a measure for an OT. Thomas had a faster three cone and 20 yard shuttle than any of the other top OT prospects. You can't teach that type of agility with 36" arms.

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Considering how badly NFL teams have been missing on OTs drafted early, maybe there needs to be a reevaluation of how OT talent is evaluated. Maybe Thomas would be a reach at #7 and maybe not, only time will tell.

I agree.  They can start the process by NOT calling guys who are barely over 300 lbs with the slightest bit of athleticism “dancing bears.”  They grade theses guys on a curve out of desperation.

Archived