• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My opinion of what we do with our rookies.

Matt62881

22 minutes ago, MMA said:

Hopefully Robinson can replace Tre later on

We could run some 3 S sets too---but I see Robinson as the steal of the draft.  Daniel Jeremiah thinks Chinn is.   I will say that we got our future safeties on Friday and Saturday. I think these two can be our S for a long time.  Boston?  He seemed excited and tweeted about the 4 DBs---wonder if he put down the Bob Marley and picked up some weights.

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

We could run some 3 S sets too---but I see Robinson as the steal of the draft.  Daniel Jeremiah thinks Chinn is.   I will say that we got our future safeties on Friday and Saturday. I think these two can be our S for a long time.  Boston?  He seemed excited and tweeted about the 4 DBs---wonder if he put down to Bob Marley and picked up some weights.

I could definitely see some 3 safety sets but for our nickel package I'm not taking the 3rd safety off. I think they were both steals! 

I'm putting Chinn at CB1 until next year rolls around, I want one of the best corners in the draft with our 1st but I don't want to lessen play time for any of our rookies that will aspire to be good. You could run pride outside but once again I think Chinn would outdo him out there, why downgrade a position? 

Nickel looks like this (60%):

DL: Burns-Brown-Short-YGM/Weatherly

LB: Shaq-Whitehead

DB: Chinn at NB, Pride & Jackson outside. Burris & Boston at S

I also think we field an "fast" 5-2-4 some of the time (~10%) and it looks like this:

DL: Burns-Brown-Roy-Weatherly-Miller (This is how we use Miller.  Maybe look at trading Haynes)

DB: Jackson & Pride on the outside at CB.  Chinn and Robinson at S

Also the 4-3 base (30%):

DL: Burns-Brown-Short-YGM

LB: Carter-Shaq-Whitehead

DB: Jackson and Burris at CB. Chinn and Boston at S

*Burris was a 3-year starter at CB.  He was projected as an outside CB coming out of school, he may be more reliable at the get-go than Pride.

9 minutes ago, Matt62881 said:

Both have all the athletic tools to play CB. In fact one thing I love about Chinn is his 41 inch verticle allowing him to challenge the biggest wds or TEs in the game and his 138 broad jump telling me he is explosive off the line. 

You can have all the athleticism in the world and still not be good at a position if you don't know the technique. You can get away with just being an athlete in College but you need to completely understand the ins and outs of a position in the pros. Chinn seemed to primarily play Safety, so he should probably stay at Safety. I have a feeling we sign a vet Corner that's available on the market to help coach up the young guys over the next season or two. 

3 minutes ago, davos said:

Nickel looks like this (60%):

DL: Burns-Brown-Short-YGM/Weatherly

DB: Chinn at NB, Pride & Jackson outside. Burris & Boston at S

I also think we field an "fast" 5-2-4 some of the time (~10%) and it looks like this:

DL: Burns-Brown-Roy-Weatherly-Miller (This is how we use Miller.  Maybe look at trading Haynes)

DB: Jackson & Pride on the outside at CB.  Chinn and Robinson at S

Also the 4-3 base (30%):

DL: Burns-Brown-Short-YGM

LB: Carter-Shaq-Whitehead

DB: Jackson and Burris at CB. Chinn and Boston at S

*Burris was a 3-year starter artCB.  He was projected as an outside CB coming out of school, he may be more reliable at the get-go than Pride.

Nice comment! Tho if Burris can play outside better then Chinn or Pride, I'd say Chinn as the Big nickel and Boston and Robinson at safety. Pride being the odd man out. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

You can have all the athleticism in the world and still not be good at a position if you don't know the technique. You can get away with just being an athlete in College but you need to completely understand the ins and outs of a position in the pros. Chinn seemed to primarily play Safety, so he should probably stay at Safety. I have a feeling we sign a vet Corner that's available on the market to help coach up the young guys over the next season or two. 

I can't disagree with you, my opinion was if the roster stayed as is. I want all these guys getting reps and learning a little cb wouldn't hurt Chinn but like another poster said if Burris can play outside pride is the only guy I would take off the field. 

3 minutes ago, Matt62881 said:

Nice comment! Tho if Burris can play outside better then Chinn or Pride, I'd say Chinn as the Big nickel and Boston and Robinson at safety. Pride being the odd man out. 

Fair point.  I I just think the long term potential with Pride is there so you find a way to give him experience off the bat.  If it's rough, then you have that scheme where playing time increases for Burris at CB as a back up.  Keep fresh legs out there if they all can play. 

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think this desire to have a small school rookie S/LB hybrid playing CB1 is a recipe for absolute disaster, but we need to be shooting for that #1 pick anyway, so let's do it!

Can't disagree, just want the most NFL playtime for our young guys and someone has to play CB1. 

25 minutes ago, Matt62881 said:

So? If he was slow I'd say yeah this effects him but he's explosive and has a insane vert. What about his athleticism keeps him away from CB? The only thing I can think of is positional knowledge. If we resign Ross I will be happy but at the moment Donte isn't a CB 1.

I’m not wasting my time trying to debate about something is never going to happen. 

Archived