• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RIP Eddie Van Halen

stirs

Oh, man. He's about a year older than I.

I first saw Van Halen as "Mammoth" when they were doing high school dances and the occasional Saturday evening city park gig in the LA suburbs before I graduated from high school. I didn't see them live again until the Sammy Hagar era in Greensboro, and we saw their attempted reunion tour when David Lee Roth fronted them for an embarrassingly bad few dates before calling it off. Unfortunately, success fugged these guys up and Eddie was just a nightmare to deal with when Michael Anthony left. Hagar said he was a complete recluse, not leaving his space or showering for days at a time- just letting himself go to sh!t. I guess he got it together in the last few years- good for his family.

One of the greatest guitarists of all time- their first album is pure genius.

Eddie was a force of nature.

The early years of VH carved out a definition of what Rock & Roll was supposed to be.  From Eddie's other worldly fret board antics to DLR's singular magnetism as a front man, they were the embodiment of R&R (apologies to AC/DC).

Then top it off with he scored a marriage to one of the 80's top teen boy crushes with Valerie. 

Dude was a God.

He was always a bit of a train wreck but isn't that what we want from our rock stars?

If there is a heaven, he is up there jamming with Randy and Prince.

1 hour ago, Paa Langfart said:

Eddie VH smoked and drank like a fiend.  Both are linked to throat cancer.

Possible, but unlikely. The majority of head and neck cancer in the mouth and throat is due to tobacco and alcohol exposure, including chewing tobacco. In addition, an increasingly-recognized cause of throat cancer in 45-65-year-olds is human papillomavirus, or HPV. It is not clear whether Van Halen’s cancer was HPV in origin, but he certainly fell in the age range for this. Thankfully, even after Van Halen’s initial surgery to remove the cancer from his tongue, he was able to travel and perform.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/ninashapiro/2020/10/06/eddie-valen-halen-has-died-from-throat-cancer/amp/

36 minutes ago, jasonluckydog said:

Possible, but unlikely.

you apparently did not read the article you linked

"Copper coils have been used as contraception in the human body for many years without evidence in increased cancer risk," Micklewright said. "In contrast, numerous chemicals contained within cigarettes have been conclusively proven to significantly increase cancer risk, and the more likely cause of his throat cancer."

Van Halen was reportedly a heavy smoker, which has been linked with at least 15 different cancers in multiple long term studies.

Archived