• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Richard Marshall

Darth Biscuit

we knew coming in the Saints were going to score... They are good. Brees is really good.

the last part of the game is hard for me to really blame the defense.. by then it had been a long game and it seemed the defense had lost it's mojo. Hard to stay in the game that long with a guy like Brees behind center.

that and the lack of movement on the Offense. the Defense was on the field a lot more in the 2nd half.

Marshall has been very overrated on this board for awhile now. He has nickel skills at best. Reminds me of a slightly more athletic version of Terry Cousin.

Gamble also.....he isn't the caliber of CB to be drawing his paycheck....never put the work in to earn it but people for some reason acted like 08 proved something. Only thing 08 proved w/ there were other targets to pick on....for every pick he has....he will be responsible for a play to cancel it out.

Captain will be the best CB in Carolina by the end of next season if not sooner. Ashame he isn't bigger but the guy is a natural.....

Gamble also.....he isn't the caliber of CB to be drawing his paycheck....never put the work in to earn it but people for some reason acted like 08 proved something. Only thing 08 proved w/ there were other targets to pick on....for every pick he has....he will be responsible for a play to cancel it out.

Captain will be the best CB in Carolina by the end of next season if not sooner. Ashame he isn't bigger but the guy is a natural.....

lol yeah all gamble did was keep us in the game and play through an injury.

Maybe we'll see Munnerlyn at the #2 CB spot at some point in the near future. Marshall isn't the greatest, but we had to replace Lucas with someone and he was the best we had at the time. Munnerlyn is or will be arguably better than Marshall so I hope that by next season he is playing well enough to be the #2 or even better play so well that Gamble is demoted to the #2.

lol yeah all gamble did was keep us in the game and play through an injury.

Gamble had a nice pick(thanks to probably some improved S play and the S being where he was suppose to be for a change)......then he turned into Godfrey....Gamble was in position to easily prevent a huge play with a fairly easy tackle to make.....with his paycheck no excuse for allowing what occured after the catch with his gay shoulder tackle.

Gamble had a nice pick(thanks to probably some improved S play and the S being where he was suppose to be for a change)......then he turned into Godfrey....Gamble was in position to easily prevent a huge play with a fairly easy tackle to make.....with his paycheck no excuse for allowing what occured after the catch with his gay shoulder tackle.

He was desperate to pop the ball loose I think. There is no excuse for not wrapping up and making the tackle but, I think to be fair to Gamble he shouldn't get called a Godfrey despite the Godfrey Tackle .

He was desperate to pop the ball loose I think. There is no excuse for not wrapping up and making the tackle but, I think to be fair to Gamble he shouldn't get called a Godfrey despite the Godfrey Tackle .

well, Gamble needs to let Harris or someone worry about that.....he needed to simply make a fairly easy tackle.

Martin looked again to do a good job yesterday though.....he has faced 2 of the better passing attacks in the league in his debut.

On the second pass where it appears Marshall screwed up, Brees actually threw into pretty good coverage and Marshall was headed that way.

Actually, on the first one, I think Marshall was actually playing his zone, and on the second, he should've actually stuck with the outside receiver, but to the next one anyway, which is where Brees threw so it didn't really matter.

I know I don't have the best memory, but I don't really remember Marshall doing that bad of a job. They were calling him out on the broadcast but I thought it was less of a "problem" and more of Brees finding a hole in the zone coverage, which happens.

He was supposed to break off, one of the stupidities of playing constant zone defense. He was playing to his zone, not to a specific man.

Zone works some of the time, but when you run it every single time, especially when the ohter team is lined up in trip sets all 3 going vertical....that shitty zone is not going to work.

Thinking back, I believe you're right. I don't have DVR, so I can't go back and look, but from what I remember, I think you're right - Payton's plays/Brees exposed our defense running the same zone coverage repeatedly. But, I think it's possible that Marshall wasn't supposed to be playing zone on the 2nd trips/vertical route to Meachem.

Beason said one of those big plays was a blown coverage/assignment. So, I'm guessing it was Marshall making a call on the field and thinking he had to cover the flat. I mean, for us to notice just watching at home that their alignment was the exact same and that we knew the 3 vert routes were coming again, how dumb do you have to be??? They should've recognized it.

And I have no complaints about Gamble except for him getting burnt on the big gain by Henderson to start the 2nd half, and the misplay on the Meachem catch. He's been solid all year, IMO, just hasn't gotten many opportunities to make plays on the ball. And as the announcers pointed out yesterday, Gamble was able to make that INT b/c he knew he had help over the top. I think he feels he can do more with Martin back there.

But, Marshall has no doubt struggled this year... and the worst part about it is that from what I've seen, a great deal of his f-ups have came when he was covering the slot... Which he's been doing his whole career.

He was playing his zone. The Saints offence adjusted at half time and our defensive line got tired. As a result they torched our D in the second half. If we'd have adjusted and mixed things up we had a shot at shutting them down again as we have a lot of talent.

Sadly our team is run by an idiot so we didn't.

Archived