• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How NFL executives view Rhule

Panthera onca

I still can't get over some here comparing him to Chip Kelly before a game was even played! Rhule may have made a few personnel decisions based upon his personal knowledge of his past players, but he didn't come in here cleaning house and dismantling the team like it was his own personal play thing. He obviously developed a plan based on knowledge and not ego!

38 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I still can't get over some here comparing him to Chip Kelly before a game was even played! Rhule may have made a few personnel decisions based upon his personal knowledge of his past players, but he didn't come in here cleaning house and dismantling the team like it was his own personal play thing. He obviously developed a plan based on knowledge and not ego!

He may wind up following a similar path to Kelly though.

Rhule made it clear before he ever took an NFL job that he wanted a "coach centric" program similar to what the Patriots have with Belichick. So if, for example, the Panthers move Marty Hurney aside and elevate Rhule's longtime friend Pat Stewart, he might just get what he wants.

More power actually proved to be Chip Kelly's undoing (although I thought he was kind of overrated to begin with). How well will Rhule handle that kind of power if it's given to him?

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

It's weird to see great coaching here. For so long it was the players carrying the coaching staff and this year it's the opposite. That's a huge step forward IMO. 

I'd agree, with one caveat...

I'm going to be way more interested to see what year two and beyond of Matt Rhule's coaching career looks like than year one. Lots of new coaches start out hot only to tail off once the rest of the league has film and scouting info on them.

We've seen what Rhule is capable of doing. The next question is whether he's also capable of keeping it consistent.

And yeah, part of that challenge might include replacing his young offensive prodigy.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd agree, with one caveat...

I'm going to be way more interested to see what year two and beyond of Matt Rhule's coaching career looks like than year one. Lots of new coaches start out hot only to tail off once the rest of the league has film and scouting info on them.

We've seen what Rhule is capable of doing. The next question is whether he's also capable of keeping it consistent.

Absolutely! Next year will have more expectations and more questions about him and his staff. Will they be consistent like you stated? Will they adjust away from some of the issues we have this year? What does a Rhule Oline actually look like and how much will he be able to build in one offseason? What does Snow's Secondary look like and how much can he build it in one offseason? What about MLB? Does he have any glaring weaknesses we didn't see this year?

I think of Rhules values and big picture and still think it will take 2 or 3 more years to get really clear picture of everything, or at least to confirm them. This year is pretty simple for Rhule. I think Rhule is ahead of the curve this year but next year with him involved in everything in the offseason will make next year a complete year for him and tell us a lot more about him. This year is more of his foundation and next the actual building begins, at least that's how I am looking at it.

13 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Absolutely! Next year will have more expectations and more questions about him and his staff. Will they be consistent like you stated? Will they adjust away from some of the issues we have this year? What does a Rhule Oline actually look like and how much will he be able to build in one offseason? What does Snow's Secondary look like and how much can he build it in one offseason? What about MLB? Does he have any glaring weaknesses we didn't see this year?

I think of Rhules values and big picture and still think it will take 2 or 3 more years to get really clear picture of everything, or at least to confirm them. This year is pretty simple for Rhule. I think Rhule is ahead of the curve this year but next year with him involved in everything in the offseason will make next year a complete year for him and tell us a lot more about him. This year is more of his foundation and next the actual building begins, at least that's how I am looking at it.

Having a better person in the GM chair would also help him a lot.

13 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I hope that Rhule recognizes that fact after seeing what Marty did without him this year before and when he was just hired. 

I doubt Rhule could care any less about what Marty did before he came in.  I'm sure what's more important to him is how well they work together now.  Much to the dismay of most Huddlers, it seems like they work together pretty well and it appears that Rhule is happy with their partnership.

44 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He may wind up following a similar path to Kelly though.

Rhule made it clear before he ever took an NFL job that he wanted a "coach centric" program similar to what the Patriots have with Belichick. So if, for example, the Panthers move Marty Hurney aside and elevate Rhule's longtime friend Pat Stewart, he might just get what he wants.

More power actually proved to be Chip Kelly's undoing (although I thought he was kind of overrated to begin with). How well will Rhule handle that kind of power if it's given to him?

So far Rhule is off to a decidedly good start though. We don't really know, but it has been suggested that he already has a good amount of power with Hurney. 

I know that he is big on not being just a hired mercanary-like play caller, and he turned down the Jets because they didn't want to give him control to hire his own staff (which seems somewhat counterintuitive to me). While at Baylor he said he wanted complete control in the pros, but yet he came here. It may have been because owners weren't going to give him "complete" control, or it may be because he compromised to have a certain modicum control including autonomy over his coaching ranks. 

Maybe once he proves himself even more, Tepper will give him truly complete control (if Rhule does in fact want that), but Tepper doesn't strike me as a guy who would do that without a proven track record by Rhule. 

Rhule is a listener and believer in the entire team being on the same page though. Kelly just struck me as a my-way-or-the-highway type of leader. I don't get that vibe from Rhule. He seems more analytical.

14 minutes ago, top dawg said:

So far Rhule is off to a decidedly good start though. We don't really know, but it has been suggested that he already has a good amount of power with Hurney. 

I know that he is big on not being just a hired mercanary-like play caller, and he turned down the Jets because they didn't want to give him control to hire his own staff (which seems somewhat counterintuitive to me). While at Baylor he said he wanted complete control in the pros, but yet he came here. It may have been because owners weren't going to give him "complete" control, or it may be because he compromised to have a certain modicum control including autonomy over his coaching ranks. 

Maybe once he proves himself even more, Tepper will give him truly complete control (if Rhule does in fact want that), but Tepper doesn't strike me as a guy who would do that without a proven track record by Rhule. 

Rhule is a listener and believer in the entire team being on the same page though. Kelly just struck me as a my-way-or-the-highway type of leader. I don't get that vibe from Rhule. He seems more analytical.

What Kelly did in college didn't translate well to the pros, but even beyond that he was never really as good as his hype.

Is Rhule?

I don't know yet.

As far as Tepper wanting a proven track record before he goes all in though, I'd point to the contract he gave Rhule. And I've seen more than one insider hint that Rhule already has fairly significant power within the organization.

I could easily see it being a thing where maybe he doesn't get complete power immediately, but transitions to it within short order. Given that he's already overachieved so far, possibly very short order.

9 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Rhule only said he wanted control over his staff. He got that. Nowhere did he say he wanted complete control over everything.  Its unfortunate that this false narrative won't go away.

Even more unfortunate that I've several times linked the interview where he said it yet you keep acting like it doesn't exist.

Archived