• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gordon Hayward signs with Charlotte 4 years/120M

Proudiddy

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

I'm really hoping it's Terry or Cody we're sending back.  I like Terry, but there was rumblings that the C's were interested in getting him back...  and sending them him or Cody, makes this a lot easier to stomach than if we also include Batum.  That will have me livid...  of we at least hold onto Batum as an asset with his expiring, we still have a chance to sign a big-time FA next year, and that gives me hope for the future...  but if we give up Batum on this...  I will rage.

He is a free agent...nothing going back

We have to spend our cap and honestly Hayward is good.  I don't love the move personally but all these NBA contracts are pretty horrible.  The team is markedly better next year now.

Happy to see Batum gone.

Waiving Batum was the single dumbest and short-sighted move we possibly could've done this offseason.  Great job, MJ.  Finally does something in the draft to get everyone excited, and he immediately takes a hot, steamy dump all over it with the worst possible move he could make, all so he could sign a solid role player to Kevin Durant money.

Just now, Shocker said:

He is a free agent...nothing going back

Nah, I knew he was a FA, but we couldn't sign him to that deal without creating space.  Figured we would do the smart thing and keep Batum to open up 30M in cap next year...  but nope.  Of course we didnt...

3 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Nah, I knew he was a FA, but we couldn't sign him to that deal without creating space.  Figured we would do the smart thing and keep Batum to open up 30M in cap next year...  but nope.  Of course we didnt...

Even with this big deal and Batum move we are in pretty good shape cap wise.

Again though...that is an amazing amount of money for a non all-star.

10 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Waiving Batum was the single dumbest and short-sighted move we possibly could've done this offseason.  Great job, MJ.  Finally does something in the draft to get everyone excited, and he immediately takes a hot, steamy dump all over it with the worst possible move he could make, all so he could sign a solid role player to Kevin Durant money.

I get what you are saying and somewhat agree but even with major cap space I have to wonder who we could get to come here thats better than Hayward in free agency next offseason.  We needed a shooter/scoring wing and that is what he is.

Talking myself into this here.  :)

LaMelo and Hayward are gonna be really fun to watch. Hopefully PJ, Bridges and Graham can also take steps forward. I think this is a playoff team this year for sure. We'll still need a legit superstar at some point to really compete and I think it'll be tough to miss out on the lottery in next year's loaded draft but at least this team will be watchable for the first time in a while.

3 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Cody's 15MM comes off the books next offseason. Not sure where that'll put us with these two moves (and any other moves they make).  They may be able to move Rozier at some point to free up more space.  Currently he's making 19MM and 18MM over the next two years.  So he's almost an expiring contract and could fetch something. 

The Clippers were interested in trading for Rozier. If they can dump that contract, it will make this one easier to take. Let’s hope Hayward stays healthy and gets Ball a ton of assists by draining threes. Ball, Graham, Hayward, Miles, and PJ will make a fun small ball line up for some games.

21 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Again though...that is an amazing amount of money for a non all-star.

But we didn't just outright waive Batum and take all the hit this year,.we stretched it across 3 years so we'll carry 9M dead money per season. 

MJ can't get out of his own way.

21 minutes ago, bull123 said:

Batum has been a drain on this team for yrs...glad he is gone

And Haywood is a player

both of these were good moves

Letting Batum suffer on the bench for the last year of this horrible deal, then letting it expire, and signing a star with that money would've been much better in my opinion.

Archived