• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeff Davidson's play calling

Demerize

We have a great running attack. It would be better if we had a good passing attack so they can compliment each other. Consistently running the ball on third down situations yesterday led to New Orleans finally rising up to stop that. The implications are glaring, in that it's obvious nobody has ANY confidence in Jake to deliver. The run will set up play action passes. We didn't take enough advantage of that.

It's too bad D-Will was involved in 2 bad plays. He dropped the TD pass that forced us to settle for the FG, that changed certain dynamics of the game. Then the fumble deep that was ran in. It's too bad, because our defense played with real intensity, and the entire team showed how you can beat New Orleans! The special teams actually played pretty well (although I don't know why a fair catch wasn't done on the punt that led to D-Will's fumble). But we came tantalizingly close.

You guys are hilarious. If Jake throws 2 picks (bad plays) guys crucify him and say he sucks.

Williams drops an easy touchdown and gives the game away with a fumble on the 2 and he is unfortunate to be involved in a few bad plays.

Hilarious the extreme double standard. Especially given how easy it is to play running back and how hard it is to play quarterback in this league.

Keep it up though, I had little to laugh about during the game but you guys revisionistic history is amazing.

You guys are hilarious. If Jake throws 2 picks (bad plays) guys crucify him and say he sucks.

Williams drops an easy touchdown and gives the game away with a fumble on the 2 and he is unfortunate to be involved in a few bad plays.

Hilarious the extreme double standard. Especially given how easy it is to play running back and how hard it is to play quarterback in this league.

Keep it up though, I had little to laugh about during the game but you guys revisionistic history is amazing.

Williams didn't give the game away.....nobody on offense did squat outside of him.

Your acting like to play QB on this team you need to be Peyton Manning.

:rolleyes:

And do you wonder why we ran the ball on the 2?

Jakes thrown 13 picks (bad plays) , fumbled 5 more times (bad plays) and who knows how many more bad passes and had 5 tds( good plays). Now lets look at Williams numbers 3 fumbles(bad plays) and 7 tds, 768 yards running, and a bunch of 1st downs and huge game changing runs(like the 1st down on the 3rd and 12). There is no double standard here, Jake just sucks this year. Jakes already thrown more picks this year in 8 games than all of last year. He's on pace to throw 10 tds, 26 ints, and fumble 10 times.

Davidson is doing fine for us. If you think he's the one calling runs on 3rd and long, then you must have just started watching the Panthers this season. I'd like to welcome you to Panther nation, and I'd like to let you know that we have been running draw plays on 3rd and long since the beginning of time--it is clearly Fox's call, not Davidson's.

Davidson schemes to maximize the run beautifully. Teams stack the box against us constantly and we are still lighting up top ten run defenses on the ground. That's good offensive coordinating right there. We are one-dimensional on offense because Jake sucks. They are limiting Jake's passes in order to limit the game-killing interceptions that he will inevitably throw. I don't have a problem with it...I'd rather have a chance to win the game being one-dimensional than lose the game in the first quarter with multiple picks.

His stride is to run it on 3rd and 12. Luckily D-Will is outstanding.

I am of opposite mind when it comes to the playcalling it seems.

I understand what Davidson is doing, but really we might as well just take Delhomme out of the game and run the direct snap with different options.

You kind of explained yourself, williams is a exceptional back and can convert those thrid downs. So Davidson takes advantage of it and does it on occasion.Didnt we convert like three or four straight first downs by running/

Granted they mightve been shorter distcances

His play calling was good the 1st half, but I strongly disagree with the Capt. Conservative we all saw in the 2nd. I get running the ball/ clock out, but c'mon! 11 points was not enough on to keep the lead and if I knew that, then they should've also. I dont think that Jake is back to being completely comfortable under center, but he is more comfortable than Davidson is with him. There is no exploiting of the other team's weaknesses, there is the same mundane, blah playcalling that every team in the league is now expecting from the Panthers. They expect it, and we give them what they are expecting. How in the f__k can you win that way?!!? Get creative! Trash the old way of thinking 'cause its not working anymore!! See that Smitty TD last week? That is what Im talking about. They expected the usual smoke route,and we changed it up on them, and it worked, damnit. And we set it up to work again yesterday, but we didnt see it. If Davidson had called that play in the 3rd or early in the 4th, I think it would've sealed in the Saints first loss...

Have we learned nothing from the departure of one Mr. Daniel "Conservative old dry fart" Henning.

Davidson is doing fine for us. If you think he's the one calling runs on 3rd and long, then you must have just started watching the Panthers this season. I'd like to welcome you to Panther nation, and I'd like to let you know that we have been running draw plays on 3rd and long since the beginning of time--it is clearly Fox's call,

Im not sure why myths like this continue around here. There was a thread recently that showed the panthers run draws on 3rd and long less than all but 2 or 3 teams in the entire league

Also Im not sure why people want to complain about the running on 3rd and medium and long. We had one of our best 3rd down completions percentages of the year at 8 of 16 3rd downs converted. ( the saints were 6 of 12 with the "best offense in the league")

You guys actually think running on 3rd and 12 is Davidson's call?

ORly?

yeah, there is reason Fox is always messing around with his headset and looking confused. Fox hears every play being called and can say yes, no, or run this.

Wait a sec? What did you say Jeff? A pass on 3 and 9? You really thought you could sneak that by me? Run the draw now and let's milk another 30 seconds off this clock and hope they shoot themselves in the foot.

Have we learned nothing from the departure of one Mr. Daniel "Conservative old dry fart" Henning.

I get that. But now look at what he's doing with a year off to get Fox out of his head. My wife's brother is a Miami fan and he's over all the time watching my Sunday Ticket, so I am seeing what Henning is doing down there. Granted, he has a few more options, and Im not just talkin about the wildcat...

In the last two games I believe Jeff finally hit his stride (what took so long!). Yea, we lost to the Saints, but I actually enjoyed watching the game. If Jeff had started the season with this NEW highly conservative play calling scheme we might be 5 and 3. If we ever get a QB who can pass then Jeff can open things up a bit. I really did enjoy the game and now feel (if he keeps this up) we can win some games. Remove the "Jake Factor" or at least reduce it and we are actually competitive! Hip hip...:)

Remove the "Jake Factor" Best Idea I have heard all day.

Archived