• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL: Seahawks could lose GM over roster control issue

Mr. Scot

Of interest to us because our structure could wind up being similar which would make our GM vulnerable in the same manner.

(also because if they get him it's one less team pursuing candidates we might want)

Lions to pursue Seahawks GM John Schneider

Sources say the Lions plan to pursue Seahawks GM John Schneider for their vacant GM opening, a hire that would send shockwaves around the NFL.

One of the league's most respected personnel people and managers, Schneider has teamed with head coach Pete Carroll to lead Seattle to two Super Bowls with one win and make the organization a perennial playoff participant. The Seahawks are 111-63-1 in the Carroll-Schneider era and 11-4 this season, winning the NFC West a fifth time.

While it would be unthinkable in any other circumstance for the Lions to be able to lure a decorated GM such as him, Schneider doesn't have primary authority over all personnel decisions in Seattle -- Carroll does. That hasn't really mattered, since Carroll and Schneider are in lockstep, but under the NFL's anti-tampering policy, the Lions or another team could try to interview Schneider if it offered him full control. Another team is also likely going to make a run at Schneider.

I posted this before in another thread about GMs. Schneider isn’t the guy with the personnel control or drafting final say. If we are looking for someone who can spot talent, Schneider isn’t the guy. Also, why would he come here, when it would be an identical scenario as in SEA.

3 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

He clearly knows what tf he's doing, but Seattle's approach to the draft every year always seems bizarre lol

Seattle is actually a bad drafting team. They only hit about 1-2 rounds per year, similar to us. Most of their talent comes from trades and acquisitions. I believe Seattle leads the NFL in player based trades since 2009. Or at least top 3.

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

I posted this before in another thread about GMs. Schneider isn’t the guy with the personnel control or drafting final say. If we are looking for someone who can spot talent, Schneider isn’t the guy. Also, why would he come here, when it would be an identical scenario as in SEA.

He's not a candidate here.

But if we hire a GM and don't give him full control, the same thing could happen to us.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He's not a candidate here.

But if we hire a GM and don't give him full control, the same thing could happen to us.

Just to align with you, you are stating that if we hire someone who reports to Rhule on decisions, would want to leave us after 10 years and a couple Super Bowls? Sign me up! Hahaha

Just now, TheCasillas said:

Just to align with you, you are stating that if we hire someone who reports to Rhule on decisions, would want to leave us after 10 years and a couple Super Bowls? Sign me up! Hahaha

Might not even take that much success though.

This is unprecedented right now, but once it's been done other teams can look at it and go "hey, we could try that."

Just now, Beerfacedlegend said:

I don’t want another teams trash I want a young analytic that’s going to be aggressive and want to win a Super Bowl 

It's not us.

Ian Rapoport had an update on who some of our candidates will be (check the other thread).

Archived