• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dodds is out

ATLpanther

Just now, Panthercougar68 said:

What do you want to make a situation perfect? I’m not a big fan of this sit back and wait philosophy that some people have while waiting for their “perfect spot” because there is a chance that “perfect spot” never opens. I’m just taking in general too not just from a Panthers/GM perspective.

I mean, he's in what he considers a really good situation. He's working for a guy who's a good friend, he likes his staff, and the organization is trending in the right direction. It wasn't gonna easy to get him away from the Colts anyway.

But yeah, it's possible that he just didn't get a positive impression of us. Could be Matt Rhule, could be David Tepper, could be the way things are set up, who knows?

I get the impression that Tepper wants the GM and coach to be more like partners, with them collaborating rather than one being the other's boss.  Final personnel decisions would ultimately be on the GM, but the idea is they work together.

The concern I've had with Dodds from the beginning is whether or not that's a model he is ok with?  From everything I have seen and heard, he strikes me as someone who wants to be the man in charge on personnel decisions...no questions asked.  Not in an obnoxious way, but he just wants a clear separation of duties.   I get the feeling that he'll work and listen to the coach, but ultimately, he wants the decisions to be his.

If so, I can see him pulling out when he realized that it is more of an equal partnership with Rhule.  

36 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

What do you want to make a situation perfect? I’m not a big fan of this sit back and wait philosophy that some people have while waiting for their “perfect spot” because there is a chance that “perfect spot” never opens. I’m just taking in general too not just from a Panthers/GM perspective.

His perfect situation is full roster and staffing control.

The HC has 6 years remaining on his contract and has a huge say in the construction of the roster.

Wasn't the situation Dodd wanted to find himself in. No harm no foul. 

I could also see him pulling out because either he's been told, or he's reading the tea leaves that we're going in a different direction.

My guess is if it's Peters, we'll hear something tomorrow, if we don't hear anything by mid-week, I would bet Ireland is the choice, and they are just waiting for the Saints' season to be over.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well, when you're trying to land a GM candidate, the task is to make him believe that if he joins your organization, together you can win championships.

Dodds apparently wasn't convinced.

Or it may have nothing to do with any belief they can win a championship, but the fit simply wasn't right.  Or, he knew he wasn't getting the job, and just wanted to get ahead of it.  

My guess is the latter.  If he didn't think he could win here, he wouldn't have waited several days to pull out.  

Archived