• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Guess what this guy is officially off the books!

BurnNChinn

23 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Short, Weatherly and Apple were more effective than Matt Kalil. Actually Apple was way more effective because he didn't hurt us every game he played. 

And to your point about cost. Matt Kalil cost us $1.52 mil/game played in his Panthers career. Short has cost us $713,000/game played, Weatherly has cost us $728,000/game played, and Teddy Bridgewater has cost us $1.6 mil/game played. 

Kalil's contract was horrific. It was unbelievably horrific. He wasn't even remotely capable of being an NFL starter and he was signed to a $55.5 mil deal. That is INSANE. How bad was he? Even after landing a 1 year, $7.5 mil deal with Texans, he has never played an NFL game since he left here. That is how bad he was.

Teddy's contract is awful, but we can also cut bait from him this offseason and be rid of his contract. If we cut him prior to June 1st, the dead cap will be massive but we also won't owe him the $10 mil in guaranteed salary(unless it is guaranteed for more than injury which would be a rarity) for 2021. So we can walk with no more actual money going to Teddy Bridgewater. Basically the same situation as Kalil.

The biggest difference is that Teddy will continue to make money in the NFL afterwards and likely be an effective backup for many years. Matt Kalil had to retire after 7 years in the NFL. Partly due to injuries but mainly due to being terrible.

Short has cost 5M for each ineffective game he has played since his contract was restructured before 2019. 

And Teddy’s contract could wind up at 2.5M/game if he’s the backup this year. The only way it’s as low as 1.6M is if he’s traded. Good luck with that. 

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Short has cost 5M for each ineffective game he has played since his contract was restructured before 2019. 

And Teddy’s contract could wind up at 2.5M/game if he’s the backup this year. The only way it’s as low as 1.6M is if he’s traded. Good luck with that. 

Incorrect. If we cut him prior to March 13th, we owe him no new money unless his contract has a Skill Guarantee in it. I suspect that his $10 mil in guaranteed salary in 2021 is only Injury Guaranteed and not Cap or Skill Guaranteed. 

So, although our dead cap charge would be larger in 2021, we shouldn't owe him any more actual money. However, if it is fully guaranteed for 2021, we owe him that $10 mil, regardless and it makes more cap sense to wait until post June 1st to cut him.

If it were my decision to make, I'd give up a 3rd round draft pick to a team like Jacksonville to take him. 

10 hours ago, stbugs said:

Who cares. Our cap hit was $6.25M a year from 2017-2020. He’s a red herring as far as cap hits go. Even we release Teddy, we’ll have have spent $34M on him for a year or $9M more than Kalil. Okung and Short together in 2020 were more than all that we paid to Kalil. We’ve spent so much more the past 3 years to be 17-31. At least Kalil’s one year as a starter we went 11-5 and had a chance to beat NO even with Ganope missing a 20 yarder and no WRs letting multiple TDs go through their hands.

I hate to say I get frustrated when people act like all’s great with the cap now that Kalil is done, but I do. We spent $25M total on the guy. We spent probably 8x that on FAs to try and win the past 3 years (thanks Marty) and failed miserably. It’s like trying to blame Moore for Teddy not having 30TDs this year. Our cap problems aren’t remotely due to Kalil. Not even close.

I hear ya, BUT... you have to admit having that useless SOB off the books feels pretty good whether it solves our cap crap or not. baby steps.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Incorrect. If we cut him prior to March 13th, we owe him no new money unless his contract has a Skill Guarantee in it. I suspect that his $10 mil in guaranteed salary in 2021 is only Injury Guaranteed and not Cap or Skill Guaranteed. 

So, although our dead cap charge would be larger in 2021, we shouldn't owe him any more actual money. However, if it is fully guaranteed for 2021, we owe him that $10 mil, regardless and it makes more cap sense to wait until post June 1st to cut him.

If it were my decision to make, I'd give up a 3rd round draft pick to a team like Jacksonville to take him. 

You suspect wrong. His base salary is guaranteed. Period. Someone is giving him 10M this year. And now on top of that money, they will have to give up valuable draft capital to get rid of him. On top of the 3rd round comp they gave up to sign him. This bill just keeps getting larger. 

• Beer 1

Just now, 45catfan said:

Luke is the only significant dead money currently at $7.1M, which accounts for nearly 80% of the dead money SO FAR this year.  He's off the books in 2022.

Paradis has 3.6M that hits AFTER this year. Even if he plays for the Panthers this year. KK has 4.5M. Same as if they cut them. Then you have Shaqs contract to address. Possibly Teddy cap hit of 5M. Adds up quick. 

Just now, stbugs said:

It does, along with others. It feels dirty to defend the guy because he wasn’t good but I cringe every time he’s blamed for our cap issues. Just in 2020, a true should’ve been a rebuild but really wasn’t year, we dumped three times as much as we paid total for Kalil.

That's Washington's problem now.

We just need to continue drafting well and not do anything too stupid, and we'll be fine by 2022.

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Paradis has 3.6M that hits AFTER this year. Even if he plays for the Panthers this year. KK has 4.5M. Same as if they cut them. Then you have Shaqs contract to address. Possibly Teddy cap hit of 5M. Adds up quick. 

It does, but the benefit of the savings by cutting them outweighs the dead cap dollars.  Agreed, it can accumulate quickly though with just a few moves.

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It does, along with others. It feels dirty to defend the guy because he wasn’t good but I cringe every time he’s blamed for our cap issues. Just in 2020, a true should’ve been a rebuild but really wasn’t year, we dumped three times as much as we paid total for Kalil.

You can make a legit case that Kalil was the worst FA signing in NFL history. I sure have. The results were easily predictable. But it doesn’t excuse wasting around 80M to win 5 games that the current FO did last year. 

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, Toomers said:

You suspect wrong. His base salary is guaranteed. Period. Someone is giving him 10M this year. And now on top of that money, they will have to give up valuable draft capital to get rid of him. On top of the 3rd round comp they gave up to sign him. This bill just keeps getting larger. 

Link?

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Link?

Right at the bottom. 10M of 2021 salary guaranteed. 

Contract:

3 yr(s) / $63,000,000
Signing Bonus $15,000,000
Average Salary $21,000,000
Total Guarantees $33,000,000
Guaranteed at Signing $33,000,000
Free Agent: 2023 / UFA
  BONUS BREAKDOWN CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING ROSTER WORKOUT CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2020 Contract details by year 28 $8,000,000 $5,000,000 $703,125 $250,000 $13,953,125 $33,250,000 $23,953,125($23,953,125)  
2021 Contract details by year 29 $17,000,000 $5,000,000 $703,125 $250,000 $22,953,125 $20,000,000 $17,953,125($41,906,250)  

POTENTIAL OUT: 2022, 2 YR, $41,906,250; $5,000,000 DEAD CAP

2022 Contract details by year 30 $20,000,000 $5,000,000 $750,000 $250,000 $26,000,000 $5,000,000 $21,000,000($62,906,250)  
2023 Free Agent Year 31 UFA
Contract Notes:
  • $33M guaranteed (signing bonus + 2020 salary + $10M of 2021 salary)
  • Per Game Active Bonus: $46,875 ($750,000, 15 LTBE in 2021)