• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper wanted Fields. Let his guys make the football decisions

Zod

21 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

FYI: a bit of post script...

Breer says from what he's heard, Sewell would have been the pick if he'd been there.

(Person believes that too)

I blame it on Denver.  With all of the reports of us wanting to trade down, it was almost like we were trying to bait Denver into moving up for a QB and therefore increasing our chances of Sewell.

Did us trading Teddy to Denver actually hurt our chances of drafting Sewell? 

8 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I blame it on Denver.  With all of the reports of us wanting to trade down, it was almost like we were trying to bait Denver into moving up for a QB and therefore increasing our chances of Sewell.

Did us trading Teddy to Denver actually hurt our chances of drafting Sewell? 

I would say that surely acquiring a Teddy Bridgewater level QB wouldn't make a team change their plans at QB, but damned if acquiring a Sam Darnold level QB didn't get us to change ours. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I would say that surely acquiring a Teddy Bridgewater level QB wouldn't make a team change their plans at QB, but damned if acquiring a Sam Darnold level QB didn't get us to change ours. 

It’s reasonable to think that if they didn’t have Teddy they might have been more inclined to draft a QB. Definatley wouldn’t have been less. 
Also if the did decide to draft a QB they would have had to consider us a threat. 
This will be a very interesting offseason to look back on in a year or two. 

9 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Very good sign if Tepper deferred to the football guys.  Don't exactly agree with the pick as I thought Fields should have been picked. But Tepper is letting them make the decisions.  

this. 

I would have picked Fields but it's good that Tepper is letting the football guys run the show. We don't want Jerry 2.0

5 hours ago, TheoJay10 said:

Sam Darnold had a higher grade than every QB in this draft except Lawrence. Not only has our FO said it but multiple draft “experts” have too. Darnold is 23 and came out of a bad situation. Even his existing FO has admitted to it. Hell they traded up to get a great OL prospect after the new QB and that speaks volumes. We didn’t go after Fields for numerous reasons. I for one am ok with that. Yes stepper wanted a Franchise QB to generate new interest but the football brain trust convinced him of better. Horn was always going to be the pick. Listen to the video of everyone talking to him in the phone, Rhule says “ I told you we were going to take you yesterday”. They knew how the draft would fall bad they were elated. This was clearly the guy and approved by all parties involved. So unless someone here is saying our owner, GM and coach are inept there was a reason this was 100% the guy if Sewel wasn’t there. Have confidence in the new regime. Even though Hurney was part of the draft last year. I can’t say I’m mad at Rhules choices last year. Brown looks to be the real deal, Chinn is better than Simmons that everyone wanted, YGM looks to be a good contributor, Pride has been solid and Roy has outperformed his draft position to name a few. Look guy patience is the key. We haven’t been in the league as long as 95% of the teams and we have had decent success. We haven’t given the new owner or GM a chance to put their stamp on things. TB was a Hurney signing trying to help Brady out in his first NFL stint, it didn’t work out and wasn’t Rhule or Fitterers guy, Darnold clearly is based on what they said about scouting him. Brett Farve was a gun slinger and looked pretty bad in Atlanta, he gets to GB and we all know the rest of the story. Give the ginger a chance we all might be pleasantly surprised. If not do whatever it take to get Sam Howell, Kedon Slovis or potentially Spencer Rattler if his turnover issues get even better this coming year. 

black writing is so vogue but this is the quote that interests me, care to elaborate on those reasons I'm honestly curious 

"We didn’t go after Fields for numerous reasons"

Remember when the whole "well if Teddy sucks we will end up with Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields!" Talk there was last year?

Now it's, "Well if Darnold sucks we'll wind up with Howell"

FWIW I've watched a lot of Howell and I'm not 100% convinced he is a better prospect than Fields 

Why take feilds when Horn is gonna stop the other teams number 1 wr. If we draft a qb this year keep your eyes out for JAMIE NEWMAN OR KEELEN MOND same build and play making skill set with having darnold play this year you can ease the rookie qb in like KC did to mahomes if darnold fails to deliver this season  2022 either mond or newman can pick up the reins and ball out or either one of them tqo qbs coyld be a diamond in the later rounds and ball out from day one. Really wish that Newman got to play for Georgia this past season but covid ruined that. Thats my opinion but im a couch gm 

9 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't know that I can blame the urgency on Tepper. You definitely get mixed signals. I honestly think Rhule has more of a "win now" mentality than maybe Tepper does. 

@Panthers  @PanthersBill
Jamie Newman or Kellen Mond  in round 3 or 4 If available just in case that if daronld ghost seeing wasn't caused by the jets lack of commitment to build around him.