• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Understanding the personnel Moves: The Panther's Wide Zone Blocking Scheme

MHS831

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

a belief i have always had...a good leader makes people want to follow because of the way they are treated and valued. people will give you their best if they believe you believe and are invested in them. 

good leaders will also allow leaders under them to bring their best assets to the table and give them the freedom to use what they bring to the table without mandating how it's used. 

i see all of that in rhule.

He's also a taskmaster, though.

We know from multiple stories he has high standards.

• Pie 4

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He should. Guys should be held accountable for their own mistakes. I hate a coach who constantly makes excuses for his players. If someone is not performing, or half assing it in practice, they need to go.

We got rid of dead weight this offseason, something that did not happen under rivera. How many games do guys like Amini play if Rhule was our coach instead of Rivera?

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Pie 2

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

a belief i have always had...a good leader makes people want to follow because of the way they are treated and valued. people will give you their best if they believe you believe and are invested in them. 

good leaders will also allow leaders under them to bring their best assets to the table and give them the freedom to use what they bring to the table without mandating how it's used. 

i see all of that in rhule.

Psychological empowerment.  I teach future principals. Find the good stuff and promote it, then see what bad stuff (in a teacher) remains--then address it positively.  It works EVERY TIME.  It is quintessential coaching.  It is how we learn and develop.  It is simplistic brilliance.

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

You know you loved Jeff Davidson's amazing scheme of run-run-pass-punt.

Unless the run was actually working like in the 2008 playoffs, then you completely abandon it.

lol i tried to convince myself early on that it wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be...kind of like what i did with clausen. 

i was like everyone else, though, when we found out that we were going to be going with davidson....just a massive headscratcher, but i think by that point no one was surprised. i know i wasn't. i mean davidson came with the charlie weiss stamp of approval. just how bad could he be? oof

yeah, among the most frustrating things i saw with fox/davidson was quitting what was working and also trying to match up with a teams strength instead of trying to focus on and exploit a team's weakness. if a team was weak against the run but super stout against the pass, the gameplan would be to focus on passing the ball. 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

yes, that is true. and he also is the type that will move on quickly when you don't show your worth.

kind of like, "i will give you everything you need to succeed, but i won't do your job for you. get it done with the tools i give you or we'll find someone who can." that's why we moved on from TB so quickly and why i think that contract TB got was more hurney's doing than rhule's. 

I think Darnold will have a little more rope than TB got, but not much more and the only reason he will be given that rope was because TB was already who he was, but Darnold is still able to be developed because of his age. but you've got to show signs that you are doing the right things or at the very least moving in that direction. there has to be results or quantifiable measures of progress.

if neither of those are present, we'll be on the lookout for another QB next year. 

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Psychological empowerment.  I teach future principals. Find the good stuff and promote it, then see what bad stuff (in a teacher) remains--then address it positively.  It works EVERY TIME.  It is quintessential coaching.  It is how we learn and develop.  It is simplistic brilliance.

i got my MBA with a focus on leadership and put that mindset you just talked about into practice as much as possible in every leadership role i'm in. my departments have always been the most productive and my crews always like working for me. i get the best out of them because i allow them to breathe and go in every day knowing that i trust their ability to get the job done right. when there's an issue, i deal with it, but they know that when i deal with it, they aren't going to come out feeling like garbage. my teams don't walk around on eggshells or feel paranoid about making a mistake, which everyone will do. i help them find a solution to their problems and will only dictate as a last resort that i don't go to very often at all. 

• Pie 4

33 minutes ago, rayzor said:

yes, that is true. and he also is the type that will move on quickly when you don't show your worth.

kind of like, "i will give you everything you need to succeed, but i won't do your job for you. get it done with the tools i give you or we'll find someone who can." that's why we moved on from TB so quickly and why i think that contract TB got was more hurney's doing than rhule's. 

I think Darnold will have a little more rope than TB got, but not much more and the only reason he will be given that rope was because TB was already who he was, but Darnold is still able to be developed because of his age. but you've got to show signs that you are doing the right things or at the very least moving in that direction. there has to be results or quantifiable measures of progress.

if neither of those are present, we'll be on the lookout for another QB next year. 

I think it's fairly safe to say that Rhule isn't necessarily looking to have everybody go out on their own terms.

• Pie 2

54 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i got my MBA with a focus on leadership and put that mindset you just talked about into practice as much as possible in every leadership role i'm in. my departments have always been the most productive and my crews always like working for me. i get the best out of them because i allow them to breathe and go in every day knowing that i trust their ability to get the job done right. when there's an issue, i deal with it, but they know that when i deal with it, they aren't going to come out feeling like garbage. my teams don't walk around on eggshells or feel paranoid about making a mistake, which everyone will do. i help them find a solution to their problems and will only dictate as a last resort that i don't go to very often at all. 

That is awesome.  If you love your job, you do it better.  I deal with issues, but in private, without emotion, and in a positive way---here is my leadership theory (I invented this and put it in my book):  I compare leaders to dogs.  You have your lead dog--the alpha at the front, showing everyone his ass, barking commands with his vision determining the direction--not a shared vision.  You have the police dog, waiting for an error, sniffing around to find violations, and attacking the wrong doers; you have the companion dog--everyone's friend and not taken seriously so when you have to bark, everyone thinks its cute (and ineffective); the lap dog--a puppet from HQ sent down to represent authority and not the people that leader serves---we are a bit of all at times, but I tell my people that I am the sheep dog.

I rule from behind so I can see everyone and assist the stragglers while allowing for leadership up front.  I know where to cross the rivers and I know where the wolves are and I protect them.  If a member of the flock falls or veers from the fold, I guide them back.  I work harder than the others, and they know I am there to support them, to guide them, and to protect them.  There is no attrition or filtering process; we reach the corral on time and I do not rest until the gate is locked.   The sheep trust me, they feel that they belong in the herd, and they know my expectations.  So when it comes to leadership, I am not a show dog, not a police dog, not a lead dog- just a sheep dog. 

So Pootie is wrong.  You hold people accountable for their mistakes by helping them fix them in a one-on-one setting.  You do not do it behind a microphone at a press conference using humiliation.  Nope--totally wrong.  The leader takes responsibility for the mistakes his followers makes--you do not distance yourself from that.  Your job was to make sure they don't make mistakes--they execute. 

• Beer 2
  • Flames 2

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think it's fairly safe to say that Rhule isn't necessarily looking to have everybody go out on their own terms.

item #2891 that had me sick of rivera.

he was bitter about being pushed out of teams and the game by younger players when he felt he had more to offer so he was committed to making sure that his players would be able to leave on their own terms rather than getting pushed out like he was. 

that's nice and all, but it doesn't create a winning situation.

both rivera and fox had "their guys" and let them stick around as long as they wanted in the roles they wanted to be in because they had "earned" it. 

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

That is awesome.  If you love your job, you do it better.  I deal with issues, but in private, without emotion, and in a positive way---here is my leadership theory (I invented this and put it in my book):  I compare leaders to dogs.  You have your lead dog--the alpha at the front, showing everyone his ass, barking commands with his vision determining the direction--not a shared vision.  You have the police dog, waiting for an error, sniffing around to find violations, and attacking the wrong doers; you have the companion dog--everyone's friend and not taken seriously so when you have to bark, everyone thinks its cute (and ineffective); the lap dog--a puppet from HQ sent down to represent authority and not the people that leader serves---we are a bit of all at times, but I tell my people that I am the sheep dog.

I rule from behind so I can see everyone and assist the stragglers while allowing for leadership up front.  I know where to cross the rivers and I know where the wolves are and I protect them.  If a member of the flock falls or veers from the fold, I guide them back.  I work harder than the others, and they know I am there to support them, to guide them, and to protect them.  There is no attrition or filtering process; we reach the corral on time and I do not rest until the gate is locked.   The sheep trust me, they feel that they belong in the herd, and they know my expectations.  So when it comes to leadership, I am not a show dog, not a police dog, not a lead dog- just a sheep dog. 

So Pootie is wrong.  You hold people accountable for their mistakes by helping them fix them in a one-on-one setting.  You do not do it behind a microphone at a press conference using humiliation.  Nope--totally wrong.  The leader takes responsibility for the mistakes his followers makes--you do not distance yourself from that.  Your job was to make sure they don't make mistakes--they execute. 

i love the dog analogies and think they are dead on (sheep dog is a great example of a great leader). also dead on was your comments about how to hold people accountable

also, can you end me a link to your book. i've got another 20 something books left on my reading list for this year, but i definitely would work that puppy in.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i love the dog analogies and think they are dead on (sheep dog is a great example of a great leader). also dead on was your comments about how to hold people accountable

also, can you end me a link to your book. i've got another 20 something books left on my reading list for this year, but i definitely would work that puppy in.

Sure--it is about school leadership, but since I used to teach in the organizational leadership doctorate program at Gardner-Webb, it fuses a lot of business and other forms of servant leadership into the fold.  Part 1 is about the unseen baggage students bring to school--easily applicable to the workplace.  I base it on Maslow's needs pyramid and detail the damage trauma derails human emotional and social development--part 2 is the plan for administrators and teachers--but you will see a lot of crossover stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Trauma-Sensitive-School-Transforming-Education-Emotional/dp/1476681236/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&qid=1621709421&refinements=p_27%3AGerald+W.+Neal&s=books&sr=1-1

my previous book gets into some of these issues that demonstrates the impact of a competitive structure in schools on children---basically, we need to learn the developmental level and how pressure to perform and compete can hinder long-term success in competitive arenas.  Lotta personal stories.  This book was a top seller in Norway, for some unknown reason...

https://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Desperation-Competition-Neglected-Children/dp/0761839933/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&qid=1621709421&refinements=p_27%3AGerald+W.+Neal&s=books&sr=1-2

I am trying to transform leadership in schools because we are not serving too many children and we seem to be OK about it.  Losing 1 is inexcusable, and I all I ever saw was finger pointing, blaming students for their failure when it was your job to make them succeed, and a distance between what we need to do and what we are willing to do--failed leadership, not students.  So from that perspective, I love Rhule.  He seems to get it.

• Beer 4

I hated HATED playing against Alex gibbs style OL, they forced you to do things their way. Then if busted a play, here came the cut block!! Most OLmen on paper looked like golds gym training staff and had no business in the NFL too. But they got great results. 

I remember Rashad Butler was drafted in third round inactive for his whole rookie year, then cut ONE YEAR after he was drafted(thanks hernaiy)! Houston picked him up and with their zone blocking system, he craved out a role. Had a decent NFL career after looking like a wet cow pie in Carolina. 

Elf, Erv, and Christ all have some of their best tape while in motion and in space. 

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I see the chemistry between Rhule and Dave Moore, the G from Grambling.  The Senior Bowl experience may have won that prize.  It is also how he got to know a few more players we drafted--and a few we didn't. 

In this COVID year, I don't think the importance of the Senior Bowl for Carolina can be overstated. 

Scouting was severely curtailed in 2020.  Schools just canceling their entire football seasons.  Players opting out so no game tape for them.  No Combine.  As a consequence, the intelligence buildup on the draft prospects was a mess.  

Thank God the Panthers sucked so much this year that their coaching staff got to coach one of the Senior Bowl teams.   The experience gave them a week of direct contact & hands on coaching with a full team of draft prospects (as well as being able to see the other team's workouts & talk to those players after practice).  The very top 1st rounders don't go to Senior Bowl but much of rounds 3 - 7 are there.  And that's where Carolina was able to really shine - the middle & late draft.  Four of our picks in rounds 5-7 & two UDFA were all Senior Bowl attendees.  

And, as MHS astutely observed, knowing which guys you DON'T want to pick is also tremendously valuable - whether for bad scheme fit, bad athleticism, bad attitude, whatever.  So that knowledge helped the franchise as well.  

I hope Carolina doesn't get to coach at the Senior Bowl again any time soon.  But the opportunity was a real advantage during this recent COVID year.  

• Pie 3

22 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Sure--it is about school leadership, but since I used to teach in the organizational leadership doctorate program at Gardner-Webb, it fuses a lot of business and other forms of servant leadership into the fold.  Part 1 is about the unseen baggage students bring to school--easily applicable to the workplace.  I base it on Maslow's needs pyramid and detail the damage trauma derails human emotional and social development--part 2 is the plan for administrators and teachers--but you will see a lot of crossover stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Trauma-Sensitive-School-Transforming-Education-Emotional/dp/1476681236/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&qid=1621709421&refinements=p_27%3AGerald+W.+Neal&s=books&sr=1-1

my previous book gets into some of these issues that demonstrates the impact of a competitive structure in schools on children---basically, we need to learn the developmental level and how pressure to perform and compete can hinder long-term success in competitive arenas.  Lotta personal stories.  This book was a top seller in Norway, for some unknown reason...

https://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Desperation-Competition-Neglected-Children/dp/0761839933/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&qid=1621709421&refinements=p_27%3AGerald+W.+Neal&s=books&sr=1-2

I am trying to transform leadership in schools because we are not serving too many children and we seem to be OK about it.  Losing 1 is inexcusable, and I all I ever saw was finger pointing, blaming students for their failure when it was your job to make them succeed, and a distance between what we need to do and what we are willing to do--failed leadership, not students.  So from that perspective, I love Rhule.  He seems to get it.

Thanks for putting your work out there. I'll definitely be reading those, especially that newest one and I'll likely be passing that recommendation on to people i know in education. i applaud your efforts to help transform education administration.

I've often considered myself a victim of public education because I grew up with ADD in a time that nothing was known about it and too many of the teachers I had chose to embarrass me publicly for "daydreaming" rather than help me work through and around my challenges. I think education has come a long way since then, but there are still many ways in which progress can and needs to be made.

The world is rapidly changing and kids today have so much more to deal with than we ever did growing up thanks to social media and then of course the last year has brought about many new challenges that have a massive impact on the emotional well-being of our kids. Teachers have to adapt and administrators have to be able to help guide and equip their teachers to be more helpful in the classrooms. From the looks of it, your book will go a long way in helping accomplish that.

• Pie 1