• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

TV Recommendation: The Dark Side of Football

PanthersATL

Just watched the VICE TV episode FANATICS of their Dark Side of Football series. It's a look at various intense rivalries and how over -enthusiastic fans cheer... and fight... for their team

I think we can all hope (and be happy) that Panthers fans would never be featured in a show like this.  (Panthers-related? Rodney Peete is mentioned in a highlight)

https://www.vicetv.com/en_us/video/fanatics/6078b80f0eec0e11a81846c2

• Beer 1

12 hours ago, CanePantherHornet said:

I like the show, but calling it Dark Side of Football is a little bit of a stretch. The stuff that goes on in its sister series Dark Side of the Ring makes the football stuff look like saturday morning cartoons.

Yea I've seen many of the 'Dark Side of...' publications and the football one is by far the tamest.

PhillyB and fizz' 15-1 book reveals more shady industry practices and back-room whispers.

So far all the 'Dark side of football' episodes I've seen just point out things that are pretty obvious to most avid football fans.  The one on the Browns sucking for multiple decades gave absolutely zero insight about the Browns' internal politics or the clubs dysfunction: it basically boiled down to "draft bust QBs and you will stink for a long time, but Baker is here now so maybe things will be better soon".  The whole thing felt like it was green-lit by the NFL.

Compare this to the 'Dark side of the ring' on Jimmy Snuka - they straight up tell you that Vince McMahon paid off a local police department to sweep a murder investigation under the rug.

Its not a bad show by any means, but it really feels out of place as part of the 'Dark side of...' series.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Frizzy350 said:

Yea I've seen many of the 'Dark Side of...' publications and the football one is by far the tamest.

PhillyB and fizz' 15-1 book reveals more shady industry practices and back-room whispers.

So far all the 'Dark side of football' episodes I've seen just point out things that are pretty obvious to most avid football fans.  The one on the Browns sucking for multiple decades gave absolutely zero insight about the Browns' internal politics or the clubs dysfunction: it basically boiled down to "draft bust QBs and you will stink for a long time, but Baker is here now so maybe things will be better soon".  The whole thing felt like it was green-lit by the NFL.

Compare this to the 'Dark side of the ring' on Jimmy Snuka - they straight up tell you that Vince McMahon paid off a local police department to sweep a murder investigation under the rug.

Its not a bad show by any means, but it really feels out of place as part of the 'Dark side of...' series.

Yeah, and its not like they didn't have tons of stuff to choose from. CTE, OJ, Patriots cheating, Colts relocation, Rae Caruth, Josh Gordon, Vick, Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Pacman, Vikings boat, Kaepernick, Bountygate, biased officiating. 

The biggest one would potentially be Jovan Belcher, which the NFL has somehow successfully memory holed.

11 hours ago, Frizzy350 said:

Dark Side of the Ring is excellent. I recommend it to people all the time.

• Pie 2