• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christensen ...

Zod

11 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Darnold got hurt last year. He had a shoulder injury and missed several games because of it.

he did.  They were 0-4.  And before the injury, the Jets purged their roster of talent to tank.  Which is why they were 0-13 and staring at Trevor Lawrence late in the season. 

There were leaks from inside the Jets org that the tank was on from the jump last year.  Football still gets played.  The FO can only set the stage to suck.  Which they did their best. 

* and I have never bashed Sam for his 2020 performance because of that.  I've always noted he was screwed from the start in 2020 by the FO. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

he did.  They were 0-4.  And before the injury, the Jets purged their roster of talent to tank.  Which is why they were 0-13 and staring at Trevor Lawrence late in the season. 

There were leaks from inside the Jets org that the tank was on from the jump last year.  Football still gets played.  The FO can only set the stage to suck.  Which they did their best. 

* and I have never bashed Sam for his 2020 performance because of that.  I've always noted he was screwed from the start in 2020 by the FO. 

I’m not the biggest Sam fan, but yeah he was screwed. So it sounds like he progressed from year one to two and got screwed and injured in year 3. That kind of makes me feel more optimistic about next year…

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

52 minutes ago, CRA said:

same interview with Rich Eisen where he said he thought Darnold + Horn was better overall for the team than drafting Fields. 

Which isn't the same thing as him saying he thinks Darnold is better than Fields.  

Snow? Are you sure? Because you said that Snow was the main push for Sam. That just seems odd. Then again, a DC could have an idea on how tough it would be to Defend against Sam. Just seems odd to me.

No, that is not the same thing.

38 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I’m not the biggest Sam fan, but yeah he was screwed. So it sounds like he progressed from year one to two and got screwed and injured in year 3. That kind of makes me feel more optimistic about next year…

Truth be told. Sam really has never had a chance to succeed. He was fighting an uphill battle his whole career at NY. 

Here? He is set up for success. And he seems to be grabbing that chance by the throat. Just look at what he has done the last couple of weeks.

Sam has a real shot at showing all his doubters wrong.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If I'm the DC I'm definitely pushing for the vet QB. If we're not taking a QB in the 1st, it's either OT or DB. Now I have a 50/50 shot of getting that pick to go my way.

It is true that a Vet QB is probably a lot less likely to put your D in a bad way. Makes sense that a DC would want the Vet.

10 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Snow? Are you sure? Because you said that Snow was the main push for Sam. That just seems odd. Then again, a DC could have an idea on how tough it would be to Defend against Sam. Just seems odd to me.

No, that is not the same thing.

Yes, he said Phil Snow was the origin of the idea to bring in Darnold.  Claimed Snow thought he looked like Matt Stafford on tape.   

Snow IMO has always been the key to Rhule’s success so he probably has more pull than anyone with Rhule.  

But yeah, all that plays into why I am critical of what they have done.  This ain’t small time college football where great D paired with average QB play wins.  Which IMO is what Rhule and Snow did in college. 

2 hours ago, frankw said:

If Deshaun Watson and Justin Fields are the top 2 most referenced names here for 2021 Adam Gase has to be a close 3rd. He's like Beetlejuice. Can we officially shoo him away for good when Sam throws his first official pass of preseason?

No. Because if Darnold plays poorly, somehow Gase will be to blame.

Wait until you see our player surfing, fake Panther fans start turning on the team if Darnold struggles.

I mean, we were all here for last season right(obviously some weren't)? Remember the progression Teddy fervor in the preseason, to even more Teddy fervor in the first few games, to grumbling about Teddy, to the full roar of "GET RID OF THIS BUM"?

I certainly do.

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

Yes, he said Phil Snow was the origin of the idea to bring in Darnold.  Claimed Snow thought he looked like Matt Stafford on tape.   

Snow IMO has always been the key to Rhule’s success so he probably has more pull than anyone with Rhule.  

But yeah, all that plays into why I am critical of what they have done.  This ain’t small time college football where great D paired with average QB play wins.  Which IMO is what Rhule and Snow did in college. 

I just think you're being just a tad overly critical. You seem to be resigned to the fact this is going to fail. Which is your right. IMO, Sam is going to show folks what he was supposed to be. After all, he is lighting it up in Camp.

1 hour ago, Varking said:

All we know was what they said on it here:

They felt Darnold + Horn was better value for the team than Fields alone or Fields + Darnold. It’s easy to understand the thinking behind it even if I disagree. 

The formula would also include the extra draft capital spent on Darnold in the trade. 

Which, you could also argue a certain level of "pot commitment" based on that investment. The thing is, we don't know if that factored in or not. 

This is a pretty tight lipped group here, it seems. It's funny, they seem to say a lot without saying much at all.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

he's a flop based on how high everyone held him up. Short arms and lack of strength isn't the best mix. Can't really play either position. he will be depth.

We can't say he's a flop yet. It's disappointing he hasn't ascended the depth chart but that could still happen prior to or during the season. 

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

The Stafford comparison is interesting. I would say unlike Darnold, Matt Stafford was actually good on a terrible franchise, even early on. Hell, look at his third season in the NFL.

Then again, Darnold wasn't throwing to Megatron, either. 

8 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

I just think you're being just a tad overly critical. You seem to be resigned to the fact this is going to fail. Which is your right. IMO, Sam is going to show folks what he was supposed to be. After all, he is lighting it up in Camp.

Fail? I wouldn’t use that word. 

I fear Darnold will be…okay.  We get to about 7ish wins.  Maybe 8.  Ball bounces our way, 9?   Which is something I think Teddy could of pulled of this year…with a healthy CMC.    

which causes us to just hang around in “average land”.  Darnold returns. They extend him.   We remain irrelevant.  But okay.  

I think in the NFL you should fixate on QB, OL and DL.   That is where your talent needs to be.   You work around the rest.   

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Fail? I wouldn’t use that word. 

I fear Darnold will be…okay.  We get to about 7ish wins.  Maybe 8.  Ball bounces our way, 9?   Which is something I think Teddy could of pulled of this year…with a healthy CMC.    

which causes us to just hang around in “average land”.  Darnold returns. They extend him.   We remain irrelevant.  But okay.  

I think in the NFL you should fixate on QB, OL and DL.   That is where your talent needs to be.   You work around the rest.   

So ok, maybe not fail. Let's go with, not succeed. Still has negative connotations. That's fine. I'm going to go find some folks that are a little more positive.

I'm too excited for this year to go down that road. Have fun, take care, and stay safe.