• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is it time for Sly to Fly?

Kick

9 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Out of those 11 attempts, how many did he miss? 

You wanted stats I posted them. You’re understandably sidestepping the whole debate. The statement was made we didn’t attempt long kicks with Gano, you said post stats. Stats were posted that reflected this and now all of a sudden it’s about how many were made. That wasn’t the point you were refuting. So I guess we agree and the new debate is how many were made by Slye, not how many were not attempted with Gano.

I already said he had distance and not accuracy. Is there really that big of difference in missing them while having a chance to make them and not attempting them at all because there is no chance? Better field position? Several of those it was win or lose, or in hopeless situations anyways. A few of those were 60+ yards. Are those reasonable to make?

Point is, I find it silly to have the top pod kicker and not be able to attempt anything pay 50 yards.

Edited by onmyown
  • Beer 1

FYI: The answer was he made 8 out of 11 in 2019 50+. Gano only attempted 1 50+ in this time. The Panthers refused to attempt anything 50+ with him, as said. Probably because he only made 3 of 6 the year prior. 2 of 4 before that and only 1 out of 3 before that. Clearly Gano is awful at 50+. He never even came close his entire career attempting 11 like Slye has and would never make 8 of them. Again as already stated.

Gano career:

40-49 86/104 82%

30-39 81/69 85%

50+    41/25  61%

Slye Career:

40-49 19/15 79%

30-39 15/15 100%

50+     17/9   53%

Gano has 5 more seasons than Slye. If we were to compare Ganos first two seasons to Slye’s first two seasons (above).

Gano first two years (full seasons):

40-49 25/19 76%

30-39 16/9 56%

50+      4/9 44%

Slye has had a much better first 2 years (full seasons).

I also won’t post the stats comparing their worst seasons in their careers, Gano has done much worse.

As far as comparing their best seasons, we’ll we kind of already did that, as a disservice to Slye, as that was Gano’s 2017 season (last full season with Panthers) as we have already been comparing Slye to.

Now imagine you’re comparing the top paid NFL kicker in the NFL to the lowest paid in the NFL, because you are.

Again, Slye may not be the answer, but considering what they cost Gano is horribly ranked. No thanks.

Edited by onmyown
  • Beer 2

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Last year, Slye was 24th in FG accuracy and tied for 22nd in XP accuracy.

For a big legged kicker, he only made one 50+ yard attempt despite 6 tries. He had the lowest 50+ yard FG accuracy in the NFL.

I was really surprised that we didn't bring in legit competition for him during camp.

You mean by the same staff that didn't try too hard to improve our OL? You really that surprised? 

I do get that we can't fix everything(simply too much) in one or two offseasons but we sure don't try very hard at some of the most critical positions in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

You mean by the same staff that didn't try too hard to improve our OL? You really that surprised? 

I do get that we can't fix everything(simply too much) in one or two offseasons but we sure don't try very hard at some of the most critical positions in the NFL.

At least we went out and signed a couple of mid-level FAs and drafted two OL. I disagreed with those mid-level FA signings but they were moves intended to bolster our roster. I'm holding out hope for the draft picks.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

At least we went out and signed a couple of mid-level FAs and drafted two OL. I disagreed with those mid-level FA signings but they were moves intended to bolster our roster. I'm holding out hope for the draft picks.

I'm holding out for a few preseason post-cut signings.  We need about 4 dudes, LT, DE, LB and CB.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It will be a critical year for the staff. If the QB, OL and K all flounder, I just don't really know what more needs to happen to convince them these are positions that win and lose games regularly at the NFL level.

Perhaps the QB and OL are better than expected. Slye....well, that just isn't happening. Better off hoping that Will Grier is the new Tom Brady.

Just now, 45catfan said:

I'm holding out for a few preseason post-cut signings.  We need about 4 dudes, LT, DE, LB and CB.

I definitely think there's at least one OL that is on the final roster that isn't on the current roster. Same for LB. I feel pretty good at DE and I think we'll roll with our own youngsters for the CB depth.

• Beer 1