• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold stats through week 2

Zod

1 hour ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

I like Sam and while the jury is still out, I think we will walk away with value relative to the compensation we give to the Jets. That said, I think for us to maximize the value I expect this to be a somewhat lengthy ( more than 1 season) reclamation project. He will not be all world by the end of the season and there will be more issues uncovered.  Rhule and Co are reteaching NFL QB 101 for lack of a better example.  We just need to have a little confidence in Darnold being a worthy pupil.

I think the key is Tepper's PATIENCE.

Remember that they picked up Sam's player option but Tepper, I believe,  has the final call on whether he even wants Sam to stick around after next season.

He was all gung-ho about throwing it deep when he was in the booth with Smitty and What's-his-name....and Sam had done that but only on occasion so I don't know if he's happy with the intermediate passes or what-have-you or not.  

Darnold has played well but let’s not kid ourselves it’s easier to look good when you have CMC putting up like 200 yards a game and a dominant defense. I can’t wait to see how Darnold plays when the chips are down and we need him to bring the team back from behind at the end. If he pulls it off I’m ready to give him the credit he deserves.

Edited by hepcat

1 minute ago, glenwo2 said:

I think the key is Tepper's PATIENCE.

Remember that they picked up Sam's player option but Tepper, I believe,  has the final call on whether he even wants Sam to stick around after next season.

He was all gung-ho about throwing it deep when he was in the booth with Smitty and What's-his-name....and Sam had done that but only on occasion so I don't know if he's happy with the intermediate passes or what-have-you or not.  

This will not be an issue.  As long as they win it doesn't matter who slinging the ball or how far.  He was just being a fan like the rest of us. Who doesn't like to see long bombs for touchdowns?  But deep down he knows like most of us that that is the exception and not the rule.

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

This will not be an issue.  As long as they win it doesn't matter who slinging the ball or how far.  He was just being a fan like the rest of us. Who doesn't like to see long bombs for touchdowns?  But deep down he knows like most of us that that is the exception and not the Rhule.

Fixed for accuracy.  🤭

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Darnold has played well but let’s not kid ourselves it’s easier to look good when you have CMC putting up like 200 yards a game and a dominant defense. I can’t wait to see how Darnold plays when the chips are down and we need him to bring the team back from behind at the end. If he pulls it off I’m ready to give him the credit he deserves.

You're just looking for excuses, aren't you, Mr. I-wanted-Justin-Fields....

33 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

And?

Is it against your nature to be at least a little bit optimistic?

Darnold has played well like I said. But it’s easier to look good when the defense is dominating and CMC is putting up 150-200 yards a game. Let’s see how he progresses through the season before we take a victory lap yea?

20 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Darnold has played well like I said. But it’s easier to look good when the defense is dominating and CMC is putting up 150-200 yards a game. Let’s see how he progresses through the season before we take a victory lap yea?

The next game would be a real test as Sam has not had that much success on the road....

....then again, he was on the Jets so I think this is going to be a clean slate for him.

4 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

The next game would be a real test as Sam has not had that much success on the road....

....then again, he was on the Jets so I think this is going to be a clean slate for him.

Like I said, we will see. Darnold is playing well but Kyle Allen also played well at first. 

14 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

This will not be an issue.  As long as they win it doesn't matter who slinging the ball or how far.  He was just being a fan like the rest of us. Who doesn't like to see long bombs for touchdowns?  But deep down he knows like most of us that that is the exception and not the rule.

I think Sam and Brady have literally just been taking what the defense gives them.  We tried to go deep a could times last game, but didnt connect, but he did hit Robby deep Week 1.  I think the long shots will come as everybody gets more comfortable, and teams have to shade up to try and stop CMC after he continues to shred teams each week.