• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Talking Cowboys - What do you know?

Zod

9 hours ago, Le Stranger said:

What does it win you to argue?  (I can answer that  . . .  NOTHING).   If someone doesn't want to talk football or just wants to hurl insults then just move on.  Takes two to tango!  Someone on these boards will usually be sensible and game talk with you.  I generally visit the weekly opponents MB just to talk about the game and get a feel for it.

Now you say you're not a Cowboy fan and if not then that's a good thing because as I said, you're a guest here.   I am a true Cowboy fan!  I will be respectful of the Panther board and their fans.

It's like my Grandpa taught me  . . .  don't argue with a knucklehead because will have trouble tell who the knucklehead is.  

As far as "they started it"  . . .  doesn't that sound like something a toddler would say?  I feel embarrassed for you.

Take a look at his username.   He took a wrong turn on his way to FoxNews and CNN.

9 hours ago, Fug Drump said:

So basically your ass kissing, THAT'S why you had nothing to say to those who started it...  it all make sense now.  Im pretty sure those 2 or 3 idiots here love the lap dog treatment you're giving them.  Im sure addressing me has scored you some cool points with them.

You’re*

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, OceanRider said:

You’re*

I already know that.  Sometimes when you're typing, auto-correct will change the word you have intended to use to something else.  Maybe you've never seen that happen before.   My point got across still, so....   im good.  😉

18 hours ago, Le Stranger said:

Please stop Fug with arguing about America's Team moniker.  Anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together know that it was NFL Film's John Facenda who started and continued to use the moniker in the 1970's.   

You're a guest on their board. Act like a guest and don't call names and argue.  You're beginning to sound like a 16 year old that got his dick stepped on!

The story behind "America's team"................

After the Steeler;s won their 1st SB in 1974,  ABC Sports producer Roone Arledge noticed that where ever they broadcasted MNF the following season they saw Steeler fans all over the country.........as a result Arledge arranged for a visit to the office of Steeler owner Art Rooney before the next season of MNF aired and asked Steeler owner Art Rooney if they could call the Pittsburgh Steelers team "American's Team".....

.......to which Rooney responded............

"I'd really appreciate it if you don't..........you see the Steeler belong to the people of Pittsburgh and their hard working like and would prefer you not call us that"

At that point Arledge said......"Okay then.... do you mind if we use our second choice Dallas and call them that?"

To which Rooney said, "Well that's fine by me but I would suspect you first ask Dallas if it is okay with them first"

And that is how the Cowboys obtained that name..............

On 9/27/2021 at 8:09 AM, ncsfinest21 said:

Zek hasn't looked himself this year. We must keep it that way and keep pressure in daks face. Keep the ball in front of us and win 3rd downs. 

Wat??? Beside game one hes looked great. For the first time he has taken cardio serious, he looks lighter than before. Pollard looks like one of the better backups, like right after Hunt..

1 hour ago, PghPanther said:

The story behind "America's team"................

After the Steeler;s won their 1st SB in 1974,  ABC Sports producer Roone Arledge noticed that where ever they broadcasted MNF the following season they saw Steeler fans all over the country.........as a result Arledge arranged for a visit to the office of Steeler owner Art Rooney before the next season of MNF aired and asked Steeler owner Art Rooney if they could call the Pittsburgh Steelers team "American's Team".....

.......to which Rooney responded............

"I'd really appreciate it if you don't..........you see the Steeler belong to the people of Pittsburgh and their hard working like and would prefer you not call us that"

At that point Arledge said......"Okay then.... do you mind if we use our second choice Dallas and call them that?"

To which Rooney said, "Well that's fine by me but I would suspect you first ask Dallas if it is okay with them first"

And that is how the Cowboys obtained that name..............

I've heard that the Rooney story is a fake story.   And if you think it's true then can you explain why NFL Films waited 4 years to use the name "America's Team".  Your timeline is 1974 and it wasn't used until 1978.  That's a long time to wait to use a marketing ploy.

Here's the official story from Bob Ryan the VP of editing  for NFL Films and has edited every film for them since 1964.  He claims the idea was his from what he witnessed.  His story:

" Bob Ryan, now Vice President and editor-in-chief of NFL Films, coined this for the Cowboys while preparing and editing the team's 1978 season highlight film.[6] He was quoted as saying:

I wanted to come up with a different twist on their team highlight film. I noticed then, and had noticed earlier, that wherever the Cowboys played, you saw people in the stands with Cowboys jerseys and hats and pennants. Plus, they were always the national game on television.

Ryan told the NFL Network for their Top Ten Nicknames show:

I saw all these fans in away stadiums. Hey, they're the most popular team in the country. How can I use that? Why don't we call them "America's Team"? [1]"

I know it's Wiki but the same story is in dozen other links

I did find a reference to your story on a Steeler fan website.   For the record most Cowboy fans I know hate this name "America's Team associated with the team.   It's a sports media generated thing and because Tex Schramm was the early Cowboy marketing guru he latched onto it.

Bleacher Report  ,   Another link with the same story ,  Steeler link with the same story, the comments section actually has someone admitting the Rooney story was a troll

Believe what you will as in the long run it doesn't matter

6 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Wat??? Beside game one hes looked great. For the first time he has taken cardio serious, he looks lighter than before. Pollard looks like one of the better backups, like right after Hunt..

Either way it doesn't matter. Carolina will be tough to run on I believe.