• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFLPA Smith want to look closer into hiring practices

Snake

2 hours ago, Call Me James said:

Not one bit. The head of the NFLPA has evidence that players are being overlooked or released due to factors outside of their ability to perform the job. This is one of his primary roles. 

What evidence is there of that? Just curious, the stuff I’ve heard about it is not evidence of that at all, but I’m not actively keeping up with everything. Also, based on the title of him wanting them to look into “hiring practices” that sounds like it has more to do with coaches and front office and other personnel rather than players.

44 minutes ago, Squid Game said:

Kaepernick? 

34 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

What evidence is there of that? Just curious, the stuff I’ve heard about it is not evidence of that at all, but I’m not actively keeping up with everything. Also, based on the title of him wanting them to look into “hiring practices” that sounds like it has more to do with coaches and front office and other personnel rather than players.

This is all in response to Marquette King who was officially told he was release due to performance, but the emails suggest otherwise. 

It's in the interest of the players and Smith to look into this. The NFLPA Is a labor union after all. 

13 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

This is all in response to Marquette King who was officially told he was release due to performance, but the emails suggest otherwise. 

It's in the interest of the players and Smith to look into this. The NFLPA Is a labor union after all. 

King seemed to be an ass, the rare ego driven punter. Just about anything will be tolerated if the talent is elite. League has rapes, murders, domestic violence among other stuff thats just fine cause talent..... Bucs taking John off the ring of honor while employing ABrown is a total joke. Clown world has most of the power/control now. 

• Pie 1

36 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

It didn’t take King very long to find another team to pay him after the Raiders released him. 

17 minutes ago, Basbear said:

King seemed to be an ass, the rare ego driven punter. Just about anything will be tolerated if the talent is elite. League has rapes, murders, domestic violence among other stuff thats just fine cause talent..... Bucs taking John off the ring of honor while employing ABrown is a total joke. Clown world has most of the power/control now. 

💯 accurate. 

23 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Seems you're trying to justify why you're okay with it, but that's beside the point. That point being the NFLPA should take claims seriously if there's evidence that their agreement with the league on the how the firing of players should be handled isn't being properly carried out. 

6 minutes ago, Squid Game said:

It didn’t take King very long to find another team to pay him after the Raiders released him. 

That not relevant to claim nor the issue at hand. You're moving the goalposts. Your claim was initially that it was getting out of hand. I don't think you've made that point. 

Edited by Call Me James
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

Seems you're trying to justify why you're okay with it, but that's beside the point. That point being the NFLPA should take claims seriously if there's evidence that their agreement with the league on the how the firing of players should be handled isn't being properly carried out. 

That not relevant to claim nor the issue at hand. You're moving the goalposts. Your claim was initially that it was getting out of hand. I don't think you've made that point. 

You said Smith is concern about other factors being reasons why players are overlooked or released. But how come plenty of guys who are felons are still giving chance after chance in this league just because they can perform on the field? Can’t change the narrative to fit what you want to only. 

4 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

King doesnt/didnt have the talent to over come his issues. In real life you have to be employable unless _______ . If King was a locker room cancer, being a punter is not the place to pull that. Short story- I was part of a sales team and we a had a Christmas party. Booze was flowing hard..... The #1 salesman had the great idea to go out to the front of the business and started throwing rocks/bottles/drinking glasses and the thousand+ $$$  windows. Two others joined laughing and only they only threw one bottle each at the sidewalks. Turns out he broke about 7 windows, a few drinking glasses, and miss-placed a few rocks........ Guess who got fired and guess who kept his job.....

Punters in total are +/- 8% of each other. So either headache and keep him or lose 3% and get a cheaper more calm employee. Steve Smith had this happen to him here at carolina.....and it was the right move as much as it pains me to agree.  

7 minutes ago, Squid Game said:

You said Smith is concern about other factors being reasons why players are overlooked or released. But how come plenty of guys who are felons are still giving chance after chance in this league just because they can perform on the field? Can’t change the narrative to fit what you want to only. 

Each team is their own organization. If one organization isn't living up to the terms of the CBA then their is potentially a cause for grievance. 

Whether or not another team engages in that same behavior is a red herring sir.

2 minutes ago, Basbear said:

King doesnt/didnt have the talent to over come his issues. In real life you have to be employable unless _______ . If King was a locker room cancer, being a punter is not the place to pull that. Short story- I was part of a sales team and we a had a Christmas party. Booze was flowing hard..... The #1 salesman had the great idea to go out to the front of the business and started throwing rocks/bottles/drinking glasses and the thousand+ $$$  windows. Two others joined laughing and only they only threw one bottle each at the sidewalks. Turns out he broke about 7 windows, a few drinking glasses, and miss-placed a few rocks........ Guess who got fired and guess who kept his job.....

Punters in total are +/- 8% of each other. So either headache and keep him or lose 3% and get a cheaper more calm employee. Steve Smith had this happen to him here at carolina.....and it was the right move as much as it pains me to agree.

He's was already an all pro punter when he was released and was still a top punter in the league. 

King was released in Denver due to injury, not because of this unrelated anecdotal story you're telling. 

Y'all need to seek help.