• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thinking of moving from SoCal to Western Carolina

GOAT

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

A lot of the folks that used to want to be in Asheville are starting to branch out too. Asheville is ludicrously priced for WNC. Brevard, Black Mountain, Old Fort, all the way over to Morganton. They've all boomed in recent years and most of it is people starting to look beyond Asheville. Many due to price. Many due to wanting something smaller and quainter than Asheville. Many due to both.

Yeah. Most of what I've seen is people getting priced out more so than those wanting to live in a smaller town.

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Around here we seem to be getting a lot of Long Islanders.

Oh No Reaction GIF by Laff

40 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Yeah. Most of what I've seen is people getting priced out more so than those wanting to live in a smaller town.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/2c732b875a9c937cb45b8f16c1ada27d3c0c9096f3c0e023cb2e326cb3cf3c3c/1280/https://media1.giphy.com/media/z4buk13iKKtByRVuaR/200.gif

I know several folks who have left Asheville in recent years because it just got too Asheville-y. Asheville used to be a cool town but it honestly kinda feels like it's basically turned into a caricature of itself. It doesn't feel natural and organic anymore, it all feels forced. That same feeling is a big part of why I bailed on Colorado after 14 years. My concern is that WNC feels like it's going the same direction.

• Beer 1

Hendersonville is starting to feel like the new Asheville. I just went back before the holidays for the first time in over 3 years and there were tons of breweries, yoga studios, art studios, ect. Asheville became too expensive.

I loved Asheville but I would never live there again. Right before I left I was paying 500 a month with a roommate for a 530 square foot tiny home. That price has doubled.

• Pie 1

55 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I know several folks who have left Asheville in recent years because it just got too Asheville-y. Asheville used to be a cool town but it honestly kinda feels like it's basically turned into a caricature of itself. It doesn't feel natural and organic anymore, it all feels forced. That same feeling is a big part of why I bailed on Colorado after 14 years. My concern is that WNC feels like it's going the same direction.

That's what happens when the town only cares about tourist money. Most of the towns in WNC feel like they're chasing that same wagon instead of trying to build a good economic base.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

That's what happens when the town only cares about tourist money. Most of the towns in WNC feel like they're chasing that same wagon instead of trying to build a good economic base.

I think it's just what happens when a place and a cultural vibe becomes too trendy and there's a certain expectation of the vibe. Instead of just living their lives and being part of an overall culture everyone starts acting like they're actors performing in a play almost. It loses what made it something with great appeal. Yeah, it basically becomes a caricature of itself. It jumps the shark. Asheville has jumped the shark. Boulder jumped the shark 20 years ago. Austin has jumped the shark. The people who made those places what they were have by and large bailed (or cashed in on the financial opportunity) and been replaced by actors performing a play.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think it's just what happens when a place and a cultural vibe becomes too trendy and there's a certain expectation of the vibe. Instead of just living their lives and being part of an overall culture everyone starts acting like they're actors performing in a play almost. It loses what made it something with great appeal. Yeah, it basically becomes a caricature of itself. It jumps the shark. Asheville has jumped the shark. Boulder jumped the shark 20 years ago. Austin has jumped the shark. The people who made those places what they were have by and large bailed (or cashed in on the financial opportunity) and been replaced by actors performing a play.

You have a good point. It doesn't help when a city, like Asheville, constantly advertises in larger out of state markets and then those people move into the city and try to make it more like where they left.

• Pie 1

Don't have to go far to get some snow this weekend.

16 to 20 inches of “heavy” snow and 45-mph gusts are forecast for parts of the North Carolina mountains through Saturday morning, National Weather Service meteorologists warned Friday. Counties in the Great Smoky Mountains near Tennessee should see the greatest accumulations, according to an NWS winter storm warning bulletin early Friday. Communities under the warning include Banner Elk, Newland, Mars Hill, Marshall, Burnsville, Spruce Pine, Bryson City, Waynesville, Canton and Robbinsville.

But there is this:

“Only travel in an emergency,” according to the NWS alert. “If you must travel, keep a flashlight, food, water, and a warm blanket in your vehicle in case of an emergency.”

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/weather-news/article271148777.html#storylink=cpy

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ladypanther said:

Don't have to go far to get some snow this weekend.

16 to 20 inches of “heavy” snow and 45-mph gusts are forecast for parts of the North Carolina mountains through Saturday morning, National Weather Service meteorologists warned Friday. Counties in the Great Smoky Mountains near Tennessee should see the greatest accumulations, according to an NWS winter storm warning bulletin early Friday. Communities under the warning include Banner Elk, Newland, Mars Hill, Marshall, Burnsville, Spruce Pine, Bryson City, Waynesville, Canton and Robbinsville.

But there is this:

“Only travel in an emergency,” according to the NWS alert. “If you must travel, keep a flashlight, food, water, and a warm blanket in your vehicle in case of an emergency.”

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/weather-news/article271148777.html#storylink=cpy

Looks like Waynesville and Bryson City only got an inch or so.