Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

  • panthers-redskins-1.jpg

Thinking of moving from SoCal to Western Carolina


GOAT
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have been toying with the idea of moving to the Carolina's since the pandemic.

I can work remotely and make the same amount, I own a home in Southern California and have two young children.

My wife and I have been discussing the pro's and con's, really it's just family at this point.

I would prob have to bring my mom and get a place with MIL suite or guest house.

Wanted to see if any locals could provide some insight on living in the following areas:

Ashville

Marion

Boone

Morganton

Hickory

 

We really want 4 seasons and a white Christmas guaranteed every year. I'm sick of neighbors, I want some land with a mountain view but also close enough to a downtown area, Target, Food, Shopping, Etc. Also be able to drive to see the Panthers as often as possible.

 

Anyone live in these cities or near by? Any ever make a move like this? Any other recommendations on towns in this area or with these requirements is greatly appreciated!

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a question ... there are a LOT of places with a "mountain view". Even in your own state. Why North Carolina? Please tell us it's not just because of the Panthers. Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Nor Cal, etc all have better "mountain views". If it's the cost, understandable. They're all more expensive than Western NC. Also, quite the gamble to hope for a White Christmas even in the mountains there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a great move for you and you're going to see a major economic boost from the difference between what you sell your house for there and what you can get here.

I'd suggest searching in Ashe, Watauga, Transylvania and Henderson Counties.

My favorite of the bunch and the one that should give you the best for what you want is Transylvania County. Brevard is a great, great little town and close to Asheville and Hendersonville, it's also right at the entrance to the Pisgah National Forest and within a couple of hours drive of Charlotte.

Go on Zillow and do some home shopping for Brevard, NC. 

  • Pie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Just a question ... there are a LOT of places with a "mountain view". Even in your own state. Why North Carolina? Please tell us it's not just because of the Panthers. Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Nor Cal, etc all have better "mountain views". If it's the cost, understandable. They're all more expensive than Western NC. Also, quite the gamble to hope for a White Christmas even in the mountains there.

True, I have been somewhat open to other areas like Utah and AZ but my wife isn't as into it. We truly love the Carolina's and even considered the coast - but living by the coast our whole lives has us open to moving to a different climate with 4 seasons, something we've never experienced. I could get close to a Million for my home and could get a spot for half the price with way more land, rooms, a spot for my Moms and get the view / weather I'm looking for. I've done research on the weather and it seems like areas like Boone get tons of snow during Xmas...

there are also some restrictions / taxes / policies / etc in Cali that NC does not have that I won't get into.

 

27 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

It's a great move for you and you're going to see a major economic boost from the difference between what you sell your house for there and what you can get here.

I'd suggest searching in Ashe, Watauga, Transylvania and Henderson Counties.

My favorite of the bunch and the one that should give you the best for what you want is Transylvania County. Brevard is a great, great little town and close to Asheville and Hendersonville, it's also right at the entrance to the Pisgah National Forest and within a couple of hours drive of Charlotte.

Go on Zillow and do some home shopping for Brevard, NC. 

Thanks! I have not looked into those towns yet, been kind of staying on the 40 from Ashville to Hickory with Boone as a wildcard option but might not want to move into a college / tourist city.

Edited by GOAT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, GOAT said:

True, I have been somewhat open to other areas like Utah and AZ but my wife isn't as into it. We truly love the Carolina's and even considered the coast - but living by the coast our whole lives has us open to moving to a different climate with 4 seasons, something we've never experienced. I could get close to a Million for my home and could get a spot for half the price with way more land, rooms, a spot for my Moms and get the view / weather I'm looking for. I've done research on the weather and it seems like areas like Boone get tons of snow during Xmas...

 

 

Thanks! I have not looked into those towns yet, been kind of staying on the 40 from Ashville to Hickory with Boone as a wildcard option but might not want to move into a college / tourist city.

Snowfall depends on the year. Boone didn't get much last year and what little they did get melted quickly as an example. Honestly, no place in the mountains of NC got much last year that I saw.

If you don't want to deal with tourists, then no town in the NC mountains is for you. All of them cater to tourists in a big way.

If you want land to go with a house, look in the smaller towns like Khyber53 suggested. I've seen some decently sized farms closer to the Virginia border going for less than $500000. Asheville's housing market is insane right now. I've seen old mobile homes going for $100000 or better in that area.

Oh, and internet service may be an issue. Make sure you look into that too.

Edited by jayboogieman
Added more info
  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Snowfall depends on the year. Boone didn't get much last year and what little they did get melted quickly as an example. Honestly, no place in the mountains of NC got much last year that I saw.

If you don't want to deal with tourists, then no town in the NC mountains is for you. All of them cater to tourists in a big way.

If you want land to go with a house, look in the smaller towns like Khyber53 suggested. I've seen some decently sized farms closer to the Virginia border going for less than $500000. Asheville's housing market is insane right now. I've seen old mobile homes going for $100000 or better in that area.

Oh, and internet service may be an issue. Make sure you look into that too.

Thanks for the info, internet service is very important in my line of work. I did not know snow was so fleeting in these areas. I'm not looking to get snowed in every xmas but I have never had 4 seasons or snow during the winter.

I'm fine with tourists, anything is better than where I live in between malibu and LA...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Thanks for the info, internet service is very important in my line of work. I did not know snow was so fleeting in these areas. I'm not looking to get snowed in every xmas but I have never had 4 seasons or snow during the winter.

I'm fine with tourists, anything is better than where I live in between malibu and LA...

You're welcome. SkyBest is an ISP that offers fiber in some areas of Ashe and surrounding counties. I'm not sure how good they are though. Other areas offer fiber or cable as well. Then there are other areas that offer nothing and you have to get satellite internet. That would be bad unless the Starlink thing works as is being promised and it ever exits beta.

With climate change, areas getting snow now might not be areas that get snow in a few years. It's crazy. I grew up an hour or so from the coast in NC and when I was a kid, we would get snow here and there, but usually after Christmas. The last 20 years or so, it's been rare for that area to get snow at all. I'll gladly take snow any day over ice though.

Yeah, living where you are, I don't blame you for wanting to move. Way too many people for my tastes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

Snowfall depends on the year. Boone didn't get much last year and what little they did get melted quickly as an example. Honestly, no place in the mountains of NC got much last year that I saw.

If you don't want to deal with tourists, then no town in the NC mountains is for you. All of them cater to tourists in a big way.

If you want land to go with a house, look in the smaller towns like Khyber53 suggested. I've seen some decently sized farms closer to the Virginia border going for less than $500000. Asheville's housing market is insane right now. I've seen old mobile homes going for $100000 or better in that area.

Oh, and internet service may be an issue. Make sure you look into that too.

He's spot on. I spent a few years doing ski reports for southern radio stations and I can tell you that while we have four seasons, snow is sporadic at best and rare in December throughout the NC mountains. If that is a big want for you, increase your chances by going with Ashe, Watauga and Avery Counties. Your towns to search for are West Jefferson, Boone and Banner Elk. Those are the most northern counties and the snowiest. All three counties, I believe, are served by Skybest Communications (a co-op telecom locally owned and operated) and have internet, fiber optic in most areas. 

All three of those counties have ample amenities, with the most ski slopes in Avery, the best major highway access in Watauga and the best land in Ashe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...