• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is sherrod marting the best FS?

Mr ocho nueve

After watching him play vs Miami, I'm calling for Godfrey to remain the starter..It can't get anyworse than that for a FS. I give Martin credit he is a dam good defensive player, but he acts like he doesn't want to hit anyone. His pursuit angles, tackle attempts, man.......we need a new FS.

Of course I meant Martin in the thread title

It's also hard to evaluate the secondary with the piss-poor defensive line play we had last night. We had virtually no pressure against a makeshift offensive line.

this

martin looked bad on the 50 yard ricky williams run, but that's not an easy tackle for a lot of starting free safeties in the nfl. on one play martin went lower than williams and tackled him.

but, imo, defensive line was so bad in run defense and pass rush, secondary didn't get any help

But that did not stop people from saying Godfrey was garbage:D

Not to brag, but I was saying it after Martin's first game against Arizona. His solid game against the Saints and Falcons convinced me that he was no one-hit wonder.

But I did think the same thing. Our pass rush and defense as a whole looked stellar against Arizona, and I didn't want to crown Martin before his time. Still, I think in his four games as a starter he's proven himself worthy of the position.

I really didn't think his tackling looked that bad at all last game. Our defense as a whole has a habit of overpursuing, and not many of the defensive players had a good game the other night. I saw Beason miss several tackles, but nobody in their right mind would call him out.

It was a bad game, but certainly not representative of Martin's work thus far. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he plays next week and in the weeks to come.

but he acts like he doesn't want to hit anyone.

That sound kinda like Godfrey there. :P

But Godfrey should play the other position he better at, while we keep Martin at where he is right now. He got more INT. in a season than Godfrey has so far with us.

Of course I meant Martin in the thread title

You sure? ;):D

I saw Beason miss several tackles, but nobody in their right mind would call him out.

I noticed that too.

It was a bad game, but certainly not representative of Martin's work thus far. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he plays next week and in the weeks to come.

Agreed.

I mean really, I don't like either one of them right now, lets see dante wesley start and knock someone out

You're saying that based on his propensity for nailing the crap out of opposing defenders, and, I would guess, you're most smitten with the idea as a result of that controversial hit he laid in the Tampa Bay game.

If Wesley was a bonafide candidate for the safety position, Fox would have started him by now. Not to mention, we've already got one guy in the secondary who can lay the wood, sometimes at the expensive of pass coverage or wrapping up a tackle.

Martin has looked better in coverage than any safety here since Minter. Let's give him a shot to do something, and not knock him for one bad game (and was his game significantly worse than the defense as a whole -- I submit to you that it was not).

martin is the best candidate for FS and it isn't even close.

btw...that big run that ricky made? where was beason? he had a hand on him and wiiliams ran right by him. that TD catch that ricky made? beason was there and actually had ricky wrapped up and let him get loose.

should we bench beason? no.

for the record, martin is a lot more eager to hit and tackle than godfrey. he's a whole lot more aggressive.

no way should we go back to godfrey as FS.

i'm not sure what godfrey should do but he shouldn't have that starting job back.

martin is just flat out better than godfrey at FS. probably makes sense since martin has been playing safety for longer and, despite him being a rookie, is more mature. martin's a year older than godfrey. i trust his instincts more at his natural position.

the whole defense was bad thursday night.

no one gets a pass.

how do you leave that QB of theirs upright with that m.a.s.h. unit of a OL the dolphins were running with.

piss poor playing and coaching on defense all night. they all sucked. beason among them. i'm probably more pissed at him just because i have him at a higher standard.

so your buddy isn't beside you anymore.....get over it and act like a leader. get this team to play better. get you head and their heads back in the game.

Archived