• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Five plays that explain why Matt Rhule and the Panthers fired Joe Brady

Martin

Great article in the observer today, here’s a short section:

When watching film of each Panthers game, it becomes a struggle to recognize when a run call complemented the passing game. Simply put, the Panthers’ runs do not resemble their dropback game, which makes dissecting post-snaps plays easier for defenders. Brady’s designs did not put the Panthers in enough advantageous situations either. Instead, he repeatedly asked receivers to win their respective matchup rather than scheming them open. Deceitful tools like play-action throws were a limited part of his offense as well. For example, quarterback Cam Newton used play-action only nine times over the past two weeks.”

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Martin said:

Great article in the observer today, here’s a short section:

When watching film of each Panthers game, it becomes a struggle to recognize when a run call complemented the passing game. Simply put, the Panthers’ runs do not resemble their dropback game, which makes dissecting post-snaps plays easier for defenders. Brady’s designs did not put the Panthers in enough advantageous situations either. Instead, he repeatedly asked receivers to win their respective matchup rather than scheming them open. Deceitful tools like play-action throws were a limited part of his offense as well. For example, quarterback Cam Newton used play-action only nine times over the past two weeks.”

yeah, you watch vintage Peyton Manning....and a run play and a play action play are identical.  Part of that was the offensive scheme and part of that was Peyton dedicated to making the playaction mechnanics of his mirror his run handoff.  Little things end up being big things. 

But yeah, if your run plays and pass plays aren't coming out of the same looks....that makes it comically easy on a defense. 

Bulk of Cam's plays should be RPOs .  Especially given he was limited in the O.  That was discussed coming in about him needing heavy RPO looks to be able survive in a limited playbook. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

8 yr. old me playing Tecmo Super Bowl knew that it was an advantage to have all my plays running out of the Run & Shoot formation because my friends didn't know what play was coming. I'd like to assume this would be standard knowledge among NFL-level coordinators as well.

Edited by KSpan
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

yeah, you watch vintage Peyton Manning....and a run play and a play action play are identical until.  Part of that was the offensive scheme and part of that was Peyton dedicated to making the playaction mechnanics of his mirror his run handoff.  Little things end up being big things. 

But yeah, if you run plays and pass plays aren't coming out of the same looks....that makes it comically easy on a defense. 

Bulk of Cam's plays should be RPOs .  Especially given he was limited in the O.  That was discussed coming in about him needing heavy RPO looks to be able survive in a limited playbook. 

This is part of what makes Sean McVay's scheme so successful.  His formations pretty much all look the same pre-snap, and he utilizes play action and motion TONS of times to make the D have to guess if a pass or run is coming.  Our O, for all of Brady's "genius" is pretty much the exact opposite of a McVay offense. 

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, KSpan said:

8 yr. old me playing Tecmo Super Bowl knew that it was an advantage to have all my plays running out of the Run & Shoot formation because my friends didn't know what play was coming. I'd like to assume this would be standard knowledge among NFL-level coordinators as well.

apparently you'd be surprised given the offense Joe Brady drew up

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1