• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Losing Out is the Way

24 minutes ago, Growl said:

Just to be clear, the Jaguars should have passed on Trevor Lawrence until got some HOG MOLLIES?

lol okay pal.

i don’t know where this delusion comes from that teams have to “wait to take the QB” until “the line is ready” but it’s not an actual thing in the NFL. No team abides by this thing you’ve invented.

teams that need franchise QBs don’t pass on franchise QBs when one is available to them. That’s how you get garbage seasons like this one with everyone on the cusp of getting fired because they bypassed a couple “risky” QB prospects in favor of the “safest player available.”

also, I don’t care about your professional analysis of Kenny Pickett or sam Howell or anyone lol.

No one said the Jags should have passed on Lawrence. Any team in need of a QB would have selected him if they had a #1 pick. His track record shows he was worthy of the selection. There have been classes that have produced several Hall of Fame worthy QB's in the top 10. If the talent is there, I'm all for grabbing the franchise QB. Still, even Trevor is going to look bad if he's surrounded by mediocre talent.

What people are saying is that there may not be a QB good enough to take in the first round in THIS DRAFT. If Jimmy Clausen, Brady Quinn, Akili Smith, and Joey Harrington were the top 4 QB's in this draft, the Panther's would be crazy to take one of these guys with a top 10 pick. Why not? These guys are not talented enough to be FRANCHISE QB's.

I really can't speak on Howell or Pickett because I haven't seen enough film on either one. But, there are guys who get paid to analyze the upcoming draft classes each year. When they say this is a weak QB class, I think we need to pause and hear them put. I think they're professional analysis carries more weight than yours or mine.

Edited by SCO96

I hope the Panthers reach for a QB and the Saints, Falcons, and bucs all come away with a generational blue chip interior Ol prospect.

longer those organizations put off acquiring a QB the more likely the Panthers are to control the immediate future of the nfc south

Pickett is a one-year wonder, but he had the best year of the three.  Corral and Howell were more consistent over their careers.  Corral did it against tough opponents year in and year out and that's why he's the top QB in most early mocks.  Both Howell and Pickett played in the ACC (the lesser division at that) and outside of local homers, most people believe that the ACC is the worst of the Power 5 conferences. It actually continues to get worse; so much so that even Clemson was vulnerable this year.  That said, above average QB play versus completely average schedules very much can call players resume's  into question.

2 hours ago, Growl said:

I don’t care what Mr. Scott is implying.

there will be successful QBs taken in the 1st round of this draft, as there customarily is.

the role of the organization is to identify which guys that will be and acquire them at any cost.

Customarily, eh?

Just looking back at the last 15 or so years, we have...

2016 1st Round

1 - Jared Goff, Rams
2 - Carson Wentz - Eagles
26 - Paxton Lynch, Broncos

2015 1st Round

1 - Jameis Winston, Buccaneers
2 - Marcus Mariota, Titans

2014 1st Round

3 - Blake Bortles, Jaguars
22 - Johnny Manziel, Browns
32 - Teddy Bridgewater, Vikings

2013 1st Round

16 - EJ Manuel, Bills

2010 1st Round

1 - Sam Bradford, Rams
25 - Tim Teebow, Broncos

2007 1st Round

1 - JaMarcus Russell, Raiders
22 - Brady Quinn, Browns

2006 1st Round

3 - Vince Young, Titans
10 - Matt Leinart, Cardinals
11 - Jay Cutler, Broncos

So...seven years out of sixteen where no franchise quarterback was found, and that's even allowing for the most recent drafts where the jury is realistically still out.

Doesn't exactly look all that "customary" 🤔

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

Hitting on a franchise QB is much harder than it seems.  Saying one of these 2022 QBs is going to succeed is just a blind stab in the dark.  There is no generational-type guy in this draft.  Actually, this is a JAG QB draft.  But sure, ONE of them may pan out.  If one does, the 20/20 hindsight crew will be in full effect.  If the QB class turns out to be, well...JAG's, then you won't hear a peep out of them.

Edited by 45catfan

On 12/11/2021 at 6:01 PM, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

If we want Rhule gone and a top 5 draft pick for our new HC, losing out is the way to go. Also, we need to lose convincingly too. Leave no room for the “Rhule showed improvement” talk. I hate to say it, but hopefully the locker room has totally quit on this man. My biggest fear is we will have another “Washington 2020 Game” to ruin our hopes.

Anyway, here’s to the tank.

Game Of Thrones Drinking GIF by Sky

so if Detroit has 1 win, Houston and Jax have 2 wins, the Jets have 3 wins--that is four teams with 2 or more fewer wins with 4 to go.  The Bears and Giants have 4 wins and both could easily lose out--just as easily as the Panthers. 

If you want the Panthers to lose out, you have a game in New Orleans that should bother you and you could have a game vs. Tampa Bay week 18 that rests the starters.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Customarily, eh?

Just looking back at the last 15 or so years, we have...

2016 1st Round

1 - Jared Goff, Rams
2 - Carson Wentz - Eagles
26 - Paxton Lynch, Broncos

2015 1st Round

1 - Jameis Winston, Buccaneers
2 - Marcus Mariota, Titans

2014 1st Round

3 - Blake Bortles, Jaguars
22 - Johnny Manziel, Browns
32 - Teddy Bridgewater, Vikings

2013 1st Round

16 - EJ Manuel, Bills

2010 1st Round

1 - Sam Bradford, Rams
25 - Tim Teebow, Broncos

2007 1st Round

1 - JaMarcus Russell, Raiders
22 - Brady Quinn, Browns

2006 1st Round

3 - Vince Young, Titans
10 - Matt Leinart, Cardinals
11 - Jay Cutler, Broncos

So...seven years out of sixteen where no franchise quarterback was found, and that's even allowing for the most recent drafts where the jury is realistically still out.

Doesn't exactly look all that "customary" 🤔

lol did you seriously just omit a whole bunch of years at random so you can march out something that lends credence to your argument

kind of takes intellectual dishonesty to a new low

if you really want to dig deep, how about you align the years where the. “Hog mollies win championships” crowd proclaimed there was no QB worth taking only for the season to come around and have said rookies set the league on fire.

ill start with this literal, specific season going on right now and let you work from there.

21 minutes ago, Growl said:

lol did you seriously just omit a whole bunch of years at random so you can march out something that lends credence to your argument

kind of takes intellectual dishonesty to a new low

if you really want to dig deep, how about you align the years where the. “Hog mollies win championships” crowd proclaimed there was no QB worth taking only for the season to come around and have said rookies set the league on fire.

ill start with this literal, specific season going on right now and let you work from there.

Nope. Just went back and looked at the last several drafts to see how much credibility your suggestion that every draft "customarily" has a franchise quarterback available in the first round ("you just have to find them") actually had.

Turns out it was bullsh-t.

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

so if Detroit has 1 win, Houston and Jax have 2 wins, the Jets have 3 wins--that is four teams with 2 or more fewer wins with 4 to go.  The Bears and Giants have 4 wins and both could easily lose out--just as easily as the Panthers. 

If you want the Panthers to lose out, you have a game in New Orleans that should bother you and you could have a game vs. Tampa Bay week 18 that rests the starters.

Those 2 games definitely worry me