• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Senior Bowl Quarterbacks: Day One

BlitzMonster

3 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

Carson Strong and Malik Willis looking good on the first day of Senior Bowl.

I still think of Willis as a 1-2 year project.  But a team that has the patience and coaching to develop him could really get a nice return.  

article

Willis reviews are all over the place.  Had the 5 best throws but also the 5 worsts.   Incredible arm but he is still throwing off his back foot. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Willis reviews are all over the place.  Had the 5 best throws but also the 5 worsts.   Incredible arm but he is still throwing off his back foot. 

The physical talent is clearly there.  But his mechanics have to be refined.  And he doesn't have much experience reading defenses or going through progressions.  So he should really sit for a while behind an experienced QB. 

Any team that plays him too soon will be in for a wild, crazy rollercoaster ride.  And pretty likely for him to bust.

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He is the only QB with elite talent level. Also potentially the lowest floor.

Carson Strong might have an elite arm.  But does his knee check out ?  And does he fit what a team wants to do?  That would be the old-school idea of the QB as a statue in the pocket.   Which is the antithesis of the running QB so valued in the NFL today.  

1 hour ago, BlitzMonster said:

Carson Strong might have an elite arm.  But does his knee check out ?  And does he fit what a team wants to do?  That would be the old-school idea of the QB as a statue in the pocket.   Which is the antithesis of the running QB so valued in the NFL today.  

Yeah, I think Strong would've been viewed much better as a prospect 30 years ago.

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I think Strong would've been viewed much better as a prospect 30 years ago.

Some teams wouldn't be so bothered.  Bruce Arians had Brady who's not the most fleet footed guy.  I think Tampa Bay would be fine drafting Strong.  Arians would probably love his big arm as that would allow him to play a downfield passing game.  

the Cliffs Notes version:

• Carson Strong, Nevada - big arm but will his mobility (and knee) be good enough ?
  • Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati - his accuracy woes followed him from college
  • Kenny Pickett, Pittsburgh - clean mechanics and a high floor but just how far does his ceiling go ? 
  • Bailey Zappe, Western Kentucky - better arm strength displayed than in college but can he make the intermediate throws ?
  • Sam Howell, North Carolina - a body clone of Baker Mayfield but not nearly as much consistency or big play potential 
  • Malik Willis, Liberty -  his college offense was basically backyard football but he has a live arm that can deliver rockets all over the field

1 hour ago, BlitzMonster said:

Some teams wouldn't be so bothered.  Bruce Arians had Brady who's not the most fleet footed guy.  I think Tampa Bay would be fine drafting Strong.  Arians would probably love his big arm as that would allow him to play a downfield passing game.  

The problem with relying on guys like Brady or Manning for comps is that you're counting on a guy to have a Brady or Manning level football mind. Good luck with that.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The problem with relying on guys like Brady or Manning for comps is that you're counting on a guy to have a Brady or Manning level football mind. Good luck with that.

Yeah, I was thinking strictly in terms of QB mobility.  Not his skill level or anything else.

If Tampa's offensive line can protect old man Brady, another immobile player like Carson Strong might be able to succeed behind it as well.  

5 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

Yeah, I was thinking strictly in terms of QB mobility.  Not his skill level or anything else.

If Tampa's offensive line can protect old man Brady, another immobile player like Carson Strong might be able to succeed behind it as well.  

Brady had the second fastest average time to throw in the league (behind only Big Ben). I seriously doubt a rookie is going to come anywhere close to replicating that.