• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canes Bring Highly Touted Goalie Prospect, Pyotr Kochetkov, to North America

MillionDollarCam

3 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I’d expect him to get three or so games with Chicago and if he looks good then he might get the call up.

If I’m reading it right. He’d be about the same age as Vas was at this stage, maybe even a year older as Vas was swapped between AHL and NHL in 2014, before going full time at 22-23 in 2015

• Pie 2

I've followed his career in Russia very closely. At the time we drafted him he had flashed at the world juniors that year and showed all the tools (size, flexibility, instincts, etc.) to be an elite NHL goalie at that time after being pretty much unknown the year before (he was an overager in the draft, so he went undrafted a few times and re-entered the draft, by that time his stock increased a ton and we took him high in the 2nd round).

Since then he really struggled to get consistent playing time and carve out a role as a starter and because of that he couldn't get on a roll and his play was inconsistent. Finally last year he got traded to Torpedo (KHL team) and has been consistently great since that trade, being arguably a top 5 goalie in the KHL this year.

I'm really excited about the kid but people need to temper expectations on his timeline. He may get a few starts in the NHL this year to see how he does but his track record and sample size of consistently strong play is very limited for a goalie prospect. We brought him over now because the KHL season ended and he had nowhere to play but I still fully expect him to go back to the KHL next year as both Raanta and Freddie are still under contract plus we have Makiniemi and now LaFontaine in the AHL already getting a ton of the starts. I would expect he gets a top 2 spot with the Canes starting in the '23-'24 season, but will definitely be fun to see how he does in his stop in North America right now.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

9 hours ago, t96 said:

I've followed his career in Russia very closely. At the time we drafted him he had flashed at the world juniors that year and showed all the tools (size, flexibility, instincts, etc.) to be an elite NHL goalie at that time after being pretty much unknown the year before (he was an overager in the draft, so he went undrafted a few times and re-entered the draft, by that time his stock increased a ton and we took him high in the 2nd round).

Since then he really struggled to get consistent playing time and carve out a role as a starter and because of that he couldn't get on a roll and his play was inconsistent. Finally last year he got traded to Torpedo (KHL team) and has been consistently great since that trade, being arguably a top 5 goalie in the KHL this year.

I'm really excited about the kid but people need to temper expectations on his timeline. He may get a few starts in the NHL this year to see how he does but his track record and sample size of consistently strong play is very limited for a goalie prospect. We brought him over now because the KHL season ended and he had nowhere to play but I still fully expect him to go back to the KHL next year as both Raanta and Freddie are still under contract plus we have Makiniemi and now LaFontaine in the AHL already getting a ton of the starts. I would expect he gets a top 2 spot with the Canes starting in the '23-'24 season, but will definitely be fun to see how he does in his stop in North America right now.

Agreed. I've followed him closely as well and hoping he's our next franchise goalie. Along with what you've mentioned, it's also normal for young goalies from overseas to get at least a full season in North America to get used to the ice and style of play. 

I'm really hoping he comes over for good next season but we'll see. 

• Pie 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pytor is up to a .932 sv% and a 1.98 GAA.

For reference on how good this is, Frederick Andersen has a .929 sv% and a 2.06 GAA and is a Vezina candidate.

This isn’t a comparison because obviously the AHL is far superior to the NHL, it merely showing how impressive the numbers are for Pytor.

As I type this Pyotr is rocking a .958 sv% in a game against Milwaukee.

• Pie 2

• 2 weeks later...