• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

David Newton's "cryptic" comment got me to thinkin

MHS831

50 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

They have operated in a win now mode for the past 2 seasons and it’s netted 10 wins total.  These morons don’t know how to build a team from the ground up

I mean, only in sense that they have made terrible QB moves. Everything else has practically cleared cap for big spending going into years 3 and 4. Those are here now, and besides the QB they are in good position to start winning. So if they finally hit this year I think we will see more success.

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't even think it's close. I honestly have no idea how anyone watches these two QBs and convinces themselves Pickett is a better prospect. Put Pickett on UNC's team last year and he's a UDFA. Straight up.

I agree 100%.  I’d love to see Sam behind a competent OL.

6 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Some of us want a QB at #6, some of us want a T or a pass rusher.  There are about 40 days between now and the draft, so the current picture will be a bit more clear by the time draft day rolls around.  Yesterday, however, during the biggest flood of free agent signings in Panther history, Newton wrote an article about the "Post Watson" QB search.  Toward the end of that article, he mentioned that Fitterer is going to Liberty's pro day Tuesday and the Pittsburgh's after that.  Sure, due diligence, but then there was this:

"The Panthers also believe this quarterback class is better than critics say."--David Newton

“I think there's a good franchise player at six in this draft without identifying who they might be,’’ --Fitterer at the NFL combine.

I gasped.

Was he baiting a trade back offer?  Does he think there is a 'franchise quarterback" in this draft?  Did we see his cards, or was this a bluff? 

I was dumbfounded, so I gasped once more.

gasp GIF

I think it is important to note that at the combine, we were still targeting D. Watson, and at the combine, you only talk about the players there--and if they mentioned some other free agents by name, it could (theoretically) hurt their position with Watson. 

So for those of you who want Minshew, his name has come up in a few articles.  We inquired about him last year. 

More QB ramblings:

• Expect suddenly homeless Baker Mayfield to try to get a deal done in Indy (Baker's request) or Seattle (my guess).  The Browns will demand a second and maybe a fourth, according to SI, but they need him gone and the cap room that would create-- a trade of Mayfield would save them almost $19m.  The Panthers have (reportedly) expressed no interest in Baker.
  • Oh The Drama GIF by MOODMAN
  • Expect Crablegs Winston to stay in Nawlins.
  • Forget Jimmy G--his shoulder surgery will take 4 months to heal.  He may end up in Indy but at that salary, he will be hard to trade from the operating table. 
  • There is some noise that Matt Ryan is pissed off and may want out, but the Falcons can't move that salary--the contract will bind them together.
  • So that leaves the Panthers with an attempt to trade for Minshew or draft a QB if they decide to make a move.  They spent most of their available cap room on Friday, so I am of the mindset that it has come down to one of three options:
    • Trade for and sign Minshew (would Philly take a fourth rounder? that is all we really have in 2022, but Philly does not need 2022 picks)
    • Draft a QB (Willis is my guess, at #6, but they seem to like Pickett too)
    • Trade back, stay with Darnold, and maybe draft your backup QB (Strong, Ridder, for example).
    • Longshot?  39-year old Ryan Fitzpatrick on a 1-year deal.  Heard it here first.

MH, I now think Willis is in fact in play at 6th. I dont think its lip service to drum up trades, I think panthers as well as the seahawks believe he is worthy of a top ten pick. I totally disagree, but that doesnt matter. I believe when finneserererrer was making all his calls for Russel intel, Willis got brought up and they gave their top ten take. He may have the russel feel to them and some people on the panther staff may in fact love him. I feel hes faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too risky for a top 6 selection. 

Far as QB gos, Ive been on team Minshew before the Darnold decision. Even if you add minshew I still think using a mid-late pick on a QB, is the right move as well. All he would have to do is beat out walker. 

Edited by Basbear