• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Leadership with energy...

Lurk21

When I reflect back on how flat our team looked during a ton of games, it is vital we find a Quarterback  that leads with energy(and a voice).  If we had a Thomas Davis or Etc then I'd say we don't need our Qb to be the rah rah type. The issue is we don't and I get tired of the cameras going to the sideline to see everyone(Rhule included) just stagnant. I'm not sure which Quarterback  that is but I hope the front office  finds that guy soon(this year or next) and with resolve.    The selection this year is Pickett, Willis, Jimmy G, Baker and possibly Kyler. Out of that list, they say Willis and Pickett are leaders and regardless  of how people feel about Baker(I'm on the fence myself) the guy does have good energy during games to keep people fired up.  

@LinvilleGorge I agree,  NFL caliber is the most important  thing. I think this teams success has always been when our Qb had extreme energy. So far Delhomme and Cam... regardless  of flaws... brought that extra to the team and honest that can be the difference  in a game come the 4th quarter.  I understand  your logic tho but we definitely  need some voices on this team soon. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Lurk21 said:

@LinvilleGorge I agree,  NFL caliber is the most important  thing. I think this teams success has always been when our Qb had extreme energy. So far Delhomme and Cam... regardless  of flaws... brought that extra to the team and honest that can be the difference  in a game come the 4th quarter.  I understand  your logic tho but we definitely  need some voices on this team soon. 

It's just that our two best QBs had that type of personality. At the end of the day, as long as the team believes their QB gives them a chance they're gonna show up for him. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

@kungfoodude True indeed! It may come but it's  definitely  something  needed. Shaq is ok but he still doesn't have the same vibe(energy) that previous Linebackers brought to the team.   It's always a bonus when your QB can walk up n down the sideline during adversity  or with a lead. I hate Matt Ryan and Brees but both of those guys brought that as I also stated Cam n Jake did for us. 

4 minutes ago, Lurk21 said:

@kungfoodude True indeed! It may come but it's  definitely  something  needed. Shaq is ok but he still doesn't have the same vibe(energy) that previous Linebackers brought to the team.   It's always a bonus when your QB can walk up n down the sideline during adversity  or with a lead. I hate Matt Ryan and Brees but both of those guys brought that as I also stated Cam n Jake did for us. 

I think Shaq is probably a little more vocal than we might know. He just might not be quite as animated as a guy like TD or Cam.

Without seeing a lot of behind the scenes footage, it is hard to know who the leaders are. Offensively, I am not even sure there is even one on the roster.

• Beer 2

@kungfoodude Yeah Im sure Shaq is animated behind the scenes n etc but i was referring  to when stuff is getting bad and the sidelines just look flat and lethargic. I just have the visions of Davis or Cam and etc going on the sidelines and keeping players focused. That is vital in sports because  some people just naturally  can push other players buttons. Shaq may be doing that but it is obvious that we need a few more guts and Id like my Qb  to be able to keep folk locked in.

2 minutes ago, Lurk21 said:

@kungfoodude Yeah Im sure Shaq is animated behind the scenes n etc but i was referring  to when stuff is getting bad and the sidelines just look flat and lethargic. I just have the visions of Davis or Cam and etc going on the sidelines and keeping players focused. That is vital in sports because  some people just naturally  can push other players buttons. Shaq may be doing that but it is obvious that we need a few more guts and Id like my Qb  to be able to keep folk locked in.

Yeah, I think the only guy we have had like that during Rhule's tenure has been Cam, ironically. 

I think that goes beyond the just the QB position. We just don't have those guys on the roster.

• Beer 2

6 minutes ago, Lurk21 said:

Ironically, folks on here for years complained that all Cam did was sit on the sidelines with a towel over his head.

Just shows how really disconnected this place truly is.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

We definitely need some kind of identity/leadership. Doesn't necessarily need to be at the QB position, but we have zero true leaders on the team right now. McCaffrey could get there, Chinn seemed like he might after his rookie year but he didn't do much to progress there last year. We were a bit spoiled with TD, Luke, Cam, Olsen, Kalil as the leadership group, they were incredible. Plus the vet leaders we brought in especially 2015 with Peanut and Allen. Last couple years we don't have a single player worthy of being called a leader, frankly.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, t96 said:

We definitely need some kind of identity/leadership. Doesn't necessarily need to be at the QB position, but we have zero true leaders on the team right now. McCaffrey could get there, Chinn seemed like he might after his rookie year but he didn't do much to progress there last year. We were a bit spoiled with TD, Luke, Cam, Olsen, Kalil as the leadership group, they were incredible. Plus the vet leaders we brought in especially 2015 with Peanut and Allen. Last couple years we don't have a single player worthy of being called a leader, frankly.

This is spot on!!! We have been extremely  spoiled over the years and these past couple of years it has been extremely  obvious! It has made me respect Delhomme even more too because despite his limitations  or flaws, the team believed in him. 

25 minutes ago, Lurk21 said:

@iamhubby1 I recall him constantly doing that during all the Seattle games. It was a monkey on our back and he was determined to get us over that. Him and Olsen stayed pushing the team during that stretch. 

That 1st one was almost like a franchise turning game. After that game, they pretty much knew they could compete with anyone. We have dang near owned Seattle since. lol

• Beer 1