• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Say we roll with Darnold

I know most of you, including myself, want a new QB.

What if we decide to take an OT at 6 and don't pull the trigger on Jimmy G or Baker.   We go into the season with Sam Darnold as our starting QB.

Our line is going to be much much better with the players we have now compared to last season and they are under new management from Campen.  We have the weapons to make some noise offensively.  

What do we do if Sam has a good year?  What if McAdoo gets out of him what Brady couldn't? 

Say we make the playoffs as a wild card team and we are picking in the bottom half of the 2023 draft.  

Do you resign Darnold or let him walk and get the compensation pick for him.  Do we resign him for a mid-level QB contract.  Do we target a free agent QB?

If Darnold plays well this forum is going to have a field day on what to do next year.  We'd be out of the top 10 in the draft.  Probably too far down to get a 2023 rookie.   

Thoughts?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

I want Sam and PJ to be our QBs. 

I want to draft a OT. I don’t want a new overpaid FA QB that we know isn’t the answer BUT would likely spill over into impacting the 2023 cap. 

Matt Rhule and Sam Darnold aren’t winning.   Just got to pray PJ doesn’t start too many games because we all know PJ ain’t losing a game.  Ever.  Neva lost! 

• Pie 4
  • Flames 3
  • Poo 2

1 minute ago, CanadianCat said:

I get what your saying but you need to hear yourself say it. 

"Say we make the playoffs as a wild card team"

Thats fuggin awesome. Sam playing to his ceiling it the best possible out come we can home for. 

Of course, but what would you do going into 2023.  Sam would be up for a new contract.  Do you give it to him with the fear he reverts back to his 2021 season lingering or do you let him walk and we go elsewhere for QB.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's not gonna happen. These guys are desperately trying to save their jobs and they know damn well that Sam Darnold ain't gonna do it.

I gotcha bro.   BUT what if. 

If Sam plays well he throws a wrench into the Huddle's dream of getting a New Coach and QB.

Edited by DaveThePanther2008
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Of course, but what would you do going into 2023.  Sam would be up for a new contract.  Do you give it to him with the fear he reverts back to his 2021 season lingering or do you let him walk and we go elsewhere for QB.

I mean tagging him would be one option, probably the best for both parties honestly. 

4 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

That would be an option.  What's the tag look like. 30 Million?

I would rather pay 30M on a 1 year deal when it looks like he has his poo together rather than signing a 3 year 50 million. 

I get the price is high, but if hes ascending thats good. Now let him prove it one more time. Tag him a 2nd time if we have to. 

Him ascending is a good problem to have. 

• Pie 3

13 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I gotcha bro.   BUT what if. 

If Sam plays well he throws a wrench into the Huddle's dream of getting a New Coach and QB.

If he plays well and becomes the answer them that solves a lot of huge problems.

You're better off betting on getting rich off scratch off lottery tickets than betting on that one though.

• Flames 1