• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Week Of: Draft Buzz, Rumors, & News (w/updates)

davos

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

More draft content from The 33rd Team, specifically their draft prospect board...

2022 Draft Prospect Rankings

Ranked #1...Evan Neal.

Ranked #2...Kyle Hamilton

You can click on player names for stats, breakdowns, etc. Good stuff.

Hamilton was a great college player but I'm left wondering if he has the physical tools to make the most of his mental abilities at the NFL level. Evidently some scouts timed him in the 4.7s. He might have to play a Kam Chancellor type role instead of being the next elite jumbo FS in the Sean Taylor mold.

FYI: From their draft prospect list above, The 33rd Team's QB rankings are as follows...

#1. Kenny Pickett (#24 overall)

#2. Malik Willis (#35 overall)

#3. Sam Howell (#45 overall)

#4. Desmond Ridder (#61 overall)

#5. Dustin Crum (#84 overall)

#6. Carson Strong (#90 overall)

7. Matt Corral (#94 overall)

8. D'Eriq King (#159 overall)

9. Jack Coan (#163 overall)

10. Bailey Zappe (#164 overall)

I had off field concerns about Corral but that rumored 15 Wonderlic is alarming. On the field, I think Howell and Corral are the two best. Willis has the best pure talent. Pickett is a JAG who benefitted greatly from a 5th year of eligibility. That 5th year is going to be worth literally millions to him and probably get a GM fired.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I had off field concerns about Corral but that rumored 15 Wonderlic is alarming. On the field, I think Howell and Corral are the two best. Willis has the best pure talent. Pickett is a JAG who benefitted greatly from a 5th year of eligibility. That 5th year is going to be worth literally millions to him and probably get a GM fired.

Their analysis of him isn't exactly...forgiving.

Here's their summary section for Sam Howell.

Junior who has started all of his 37 career games, including 12 of 12 in 2021 with a 5-7 record and 20-17 career record. Four-star HS recruit and 2018 NC Gatorade POY who started all of his seven years in HS and college. The first true freshman to start a season-opening game for North Carolina. Named Freshman All-American, All-ACC Third Team, and ACC Rookie of the Year in 2019, All-ACC Second Team in 2020, and All-ACC Honorable Mention in 2021. Graduated in 2.5 years. Under HC Mack Brown (third year) and OC/QBs Coach Phil Longo (third year), player led an RPO-heavy Air Raid offense that was 2021's 19th-best scoring offense and 10th-total offense (including the 7th-most yards per play) despite losing most of prior season's offensive talent in the draft. Low-end starting QB you can win with pending a season of mechanical development and transition to a pro-style system. Highly-competitive, thick QB who has plus scrambling ability and has superb underneath accuracy and velocity. Height is an issue as is repeated contact as a runner. Needs to show the ability to be accurate deep.

They list his pro comparison as Tyrod Taylor.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Their analysis of him isn't exactly...forgiving.

Here's their summary section for Sam Howell.

Junior who has started all of his 37 career games, including 12 of 12 in 2021 with a 5-7 record and 20-17 career record. Four-star HS recruit and 2018 NC Gatorade POY who started all of his seven years in HS and college. The first true freshman to start a season-opening game for North Carolina. Named Freshman All-American, All-ACC Third Team, and ACC Rookie of the Year in 2019, All-ACC Second Team in 2020, and All-ACC Honorable Mention in 2021. Graduated in 2.5 years. Under HC Mack Brown (third year) and OC/QBs Coach Phil Longo (third year), player led an RPO-heavy Air Raid offense that was 2021's 19th-best scoring offense and 10th-total offense (including the 7th-most yards per play) despite losing most of prior season's offensive talent in the draft. Low-end starting QB you can win with pending a season of mechanical development and transition to a pro-style system. Highly-competitive, thick QB who has plus scrambling ability and has superb underneath accuracy and velocity. Height is an issue as is repeated contact as a runner. Needs to show the ability to be accurate deep.

They list his pro comparison as Tyrod Taylor.

Tyrod Taylor would be a pretty good scenario for him, IMO. He can eventually get to that with some development. 

I think the guy being overrated the most by pundits is Willis. I realize he is leaps and bounds better skill wise than any other QB in this draft but his ability to read defenses and throw with anticipation is pretty bad. I don't know if he is easily gonna be able to accomplish that.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

31 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Hamilton was a great college player but I'm left wondering if he has the physical tools to make the most of his mental abilities at the NFL level. Evidently some scouts timed him in the 4.7s. He might have to play a Kam Chancellor type role instead of being the next elite jumbo FS in the Sean Taylor mold.

I think those box type safties have taken a lot of lumps in the last few seasons, both through the draft and in free agency. 

If you are a big safety, you need at least average coverage ability or you are more of a hindrance than a help. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Here are the summary reports on the top tackles...

Evan Neal (#1 overall)

Evan Neal projects as starting left tackle in his rookie year with the potential to become a pro bowl caliber player. His unique combination of size, length and athleticism give him the tools to develop into a book-end left tackle in the NFL. His skill set would best work in a zone blocking run scheme which would allow him to use his play strength more effectively. Evan Neal is an outstanding pass blocker who needs to work on his run blocking technique and leverage in order to get to most out of his physical traits.

Pro Comparison: Laremy Tunsil

Ikem Ekwonu (#5 overall)

Ekwonu projects as a starting left tackle at the next level with position flexibility to play guard. He has high end athletic traits that are present in his agile feet and overall mobility. He is a tone setter for an offensive line in the run game with devastating finish on his blocks. His pass blocking ability is corner-stoned by strong hand fighting, mobile feet and sturdy core strength. Overall, Ekwondu is a slightly shorter, highly athletic OT who has the traits to excel in a zone blocking run scheme.

Pro Comparison: Rashawn Slater

Charles Cross (#9 overall)

Cross initially projects as a starting left tackle at the next level in primarily a zone blocking run scheme. His combination of length and athleticism on the edge gives him the tools to develop into a pro bowl caliber player. He will need to develop his anchor/core strength in order to become more stout against stronger defenders. Cross is overall an above the line athlete for the position and shows a lot of promising tools as a prospect.

Pro Comparison: Taylor Moton

Trevor Penning (#17 overall)

Penning projects as a 1st year starter at left tackle in his rookie year. He would excel in an offense that would optimize his agility in a zone blocking scheme and use him on vertical sets on deep pass concepts. Overall, Penning is a taller tackle with nimble feet for his height who needs to work on his knee bend and drive in the run game.

Pro Comparison: Nate Solder

Also, just for the halibut, here's what they have to say about Linderbaum.

Tyler Linderbaum (#16 overall)

Linderbaum was a US Army All-American and comes from a strong wrestling background which is very evident on film, the way he constantly replaces hands and fights to win leverage. Named to leadership group as 1 of 7 sophomores in 2020. He Redshirted his Freshman year, initially starting on the defensive side of the ball before converting to offense during that 2018 season and since, the 3-year starter who has started all 36 games, without missing one - an incredible feat for an Interior O-Lineman. Linderbaum is the prototypical zone-blocking Center and offers experience in a pro-style offense which will be attractive to NFL teams. He is a Round 1 pick, and is an immediate starting Center in the NFL with potential to earn honors if he plays up to potential.

Pro Comparison: Jason Kelce

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I seriously question their evaluation based on this line. Throwing the deep ball is by far his biggest strength.

You can read the full breakdown here: Sam Howell

Here's what they said in the "Technical" section (touching on his deep passing near the end)

Very quick feet to move around the pocket, can slide/climb to avoid rush and reset very quickly. Flashes the ability to manipulate defenders with eyes. Adequate decision-making considering a system that didn't give him many answers. Flashed ability to anticipate with throws early in the year. Quick throwing motion and shows above the line velocity on underneath to intermediate throws, able to squeeze into tight windows between the numbers. Outstanding accuracy underneath to protect WRs and create YAC for players in motion. Gets outside the pocket well and can throw accurately off-platform. … Backpedals in most drops. Rarely made it to a third read, scrambling if initial read was covered. Plays hero ball, especially in clutch situations, leading to poor decisions. Lost trust in receivers throughout the year (reasonably) and stopped anticipating with throws. Limited throwing mechanics, overstriding with overly-wide plant step, pointing plant foot across body, and opening hips early, significantly decreasing torque. Kicks back leg. Uneven shoulders on deep passes. Poor weight transfer. Mechanical issues compound on deep passes, causing limited accuracy.

The biggest issue I see with him technically is that he doesn't bring his feet with him. What I mean is that he'll go through his reads and when he sees what he likes he'll just make the throw with his arm. It's crazy how often he pulls it off, but I think NFL level QB coaching will help him a lot. He got away with it in college so they never really addressed it. I mean, you can find plays where he throws a deep out with his shoulders open and his hips nowhere near aligned. That's wild. I think his arm is even better than folks realize. Kenny Pickett can't make that throw period and Howell can still make it with just an arm throw with no body or hips into it.

24 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Tyrod Taylor would be a pretty good scenario for him, IMO. He can eventually get to that with some development. 

I think the guy being overrated the most by pundits is Willis. I realize he is leaps and bounds better skill wise than any other QB in this draft but his ability to read defenses and throw with anticipation is pretty bad. I don't know if he is easily gonna be able to accomplish that.

Ted Nguyen commented on Tom Pelissero's QB scouting article, stating it sounds like some personnel guys are looking purely at physical traits in quarterbacks. He didn't consider it wise (neither do I).

I know some people cite Josh Allen, but Allen is still an outlier. And it's not like just because one guy does something it's now gonna be possible for everyone to do it.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

The long awaited and highly anticipated Peter King cock draft

1. Jacksonville Jaguars: Travon Walker, defensive lineman, Georgia

Expect a surprise, I heard out of Jacksonville recently. Hmmm. That would eliminate Aidan Hutchinson here. The trendy pick after that has been Walker, so that really wouldn’t be much of a surprise. Ikem Ekwonu, perhaps? I’ll go with the one-year-college-start upside guy, Walker.

It’s risky, and I’m as skeptical of one-year wonders as the next mock-drafter, but it falls into GM Trent Baalke’s history of taking the athletic playmakers. I’ve got a video to show you about Walker.

Just now, TheSpecialJuan said:

The long awaited and highly anticipated Peter King cock draft

1. Jacksonville Jaguars: Travon Walker, defensive lineman, Georgia

Expect a surprise, I heard out of Jacksonville recently. Hmmm. That would eliminate Aidan Hutchinson here. The trendy pick after that has been Walker, so that really wouldn’t be much of a surprise. Ikem Ekwonu, perhaps? I’ll go with the one-year-college-start upside guy, Walker.

It’s risky, and I’m as skeptical of one-year wonders as the next mock-drafter, but it falls into GM Trent Baalke’s history of taking the athletic playmakers. I’ve got a video to show you about Walker.

6. Carolina Panthers: Evan Neal, offensive tackle, Alabama 

I don’t know what Carolina will do. The Panthers could go Kenny Pickett here, because unless they trade their first-round pick next year to move into position to acquire another high pick, they won’t pick again till day three of the draft; they don’t have a second- or third-rounder currently. I know what they should do, and that’s take Neal if he’s there. The Panthers are as needy on the line as they are at quarterback, and there’s definitely not a sure long-term QB in this draft. Neal started 15 games at left tackle, 12 at right tackle and 13 at left guard in his three Alabama seasons. There’s been some chatter about teams downgrading him because of medical issues, but I’m told at least three-quarters of the teams in the league are good with his health. I won’t be shocked if they go Pickett or Malik Willis here, but the smarter play is getting a solution with versatility at a major need area.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/25/nfl-mock-draft-fmia-peter-king-2022/

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1