• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Chicago Wolves

Going to close out everything with one last update.

Final Playoff Stats

Josh Leivo - 15 goals, 14 assists (Playoff’s MVP - Canes)

Stefan Noesen - 9 goals, 16 assists (Canes)

Jack Drury - 9 goals, 15 assists (Canes)

Andrew Poturalski - 8 goals, 15 assists (Canes)

David Gust - 5 goals, 7 assists (Wolves)

Joey Keane - 1 goal, 11 assists (Canes)

Richard Panik - 6 goals, 5 assists (Islanders - On Loan)

C.J. Smith - 3 goals, 6 assists (Canes)

Max Lajoie - 4 goals, 4 assists (Canes)

Jalen Chatfield - 2 goals, 6 assists (Canes)

Jamieson Rees - 2 goals, 4 assists (Canes)

Spencer Smallman - 2 goals, 4 assists (Canes)

Vasili Ponomarev - 1 goal, 5 assists (Canes)

Cavan Fitzgerald - 1 goal, 5 assists (Canes)

Ivan Lodnia - 4 goals, 1 assist (Wolves)

Stelio Mattheos - 2 goals, 2 assists (Canes)

Jesper Sellgren - 3 assists (Canes)

Noel Gunler - 1 goal, 1 assist (Canes)

Josh Jacobs - 1 goal, 1 assist (Canes)

Alex Lyon - 9 wins, 3 losses, 2.03 GAA, .923 SV% (Canes)

Pyotr Kochetkov - 5 wins, 1 loss, 1.65 GAA, .950 SV% (Canes)

On my final post here, I wanted to notate the affiliate that each contributing player belongs to. Additionally, congratulations to Josh Leivo on being named the Calder Cup Playoff’s MVP.

Quite a few of these guys might make their way back to the NHL next year with various teams, quite a few will be right back on the Wolves, and some may find themselves on the Canes next year. Below are the final statistics for the three players that I could see making the jump to the Canes next year.

Jack Drury (86GP) - 29 goals, 47 assists, 76 points, +20

Jalen Chatfield (62GP) - 8 goals, 18 assists, 26 points, +24

Joey Keane (80GP) - 8 goals, 37 assists, 45 points, +13

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 3

• 3 weeks later...

So, going through the new additions as well as the subtractions, the Wolves are going to look mighty different next year.

The only players that I’m penciling in to make the jump to the Canes next year are Drury and Chatfield. There are certainly some other players listed that could very well be on the Canes but below is the main list that Chicago will be pulling from.

Forwards - Stefan Noesen, Malte StromwallMackenzie MacEachern, Lane Pederson, Jamieson Rees, Stelio Mattheos, Ryan Suzuki, Vasili Ponomarev, Noel Gunler, Blake Murray

Defensemen - Dylan Coghlan, Joey Keane, Max Lajoie, Cavan Fitzgerald, Ronan Seeley, Griffin Mendel

Goalies - Pyotr Kochetkov, Zach Sawchenko

There will definitely be more additions but here is where everything stands at the moment for the Wolves.

Note - Tarmo Reunanen and Jesper Sellgren were qualified by the Canes but both have decided to go back to Europe next year instead of playing in Chicago. The Canes will maintain their rights.

• 2 weeks later...

Add a few more to the mix.

The Wolves roster will currently consist of some sort of combination of the below players.

Forwards - Ryan Dzingel, Malte StromwallMackenzie MacEachern, Lane Pederson, Jamieson Rees, Stelio Mattheos, Ryan Suzuki, Vasili Ponomarev, Noel Gunler, Blake Murray, Joseph LaBate (Wolves contract), Josh Melnick (Wolves contract), Eric Cooley (Wolves contract)

Defensemen - Dylan Coghlan, William Lagesson, Max Lajoie, Cavan Fitzgerald, Ronan Seeley, Griffin Mendel (Wolves contract), David Farrance (Wolves contract)

Goalies - Pyotr Kochetkov, Zach Sawchenko, Cale Morris (Wolves contract)

Joey Keane, Jesper Sellgren, and Tarmo Reunanen have decided to go overseas.

I’ve decided to remove Stefan Noesen from the above list because as of now he projects as Carolina’s 13th forward. That could change as the offseason progresses.

Svech - Aho - Jarvis

Patches - KK - Turbo

Necas - Staal - Fast

Marty - Drury - Kase

Noesen

I’ve decided to leave Coghlan on the list until Gardiner’s and Bear’s contract situations are resolved. That could also change depending the outcome of those two situations.

Slavin - Burns

Skjei - Pesce

Gardiner - Bear

Chatfield

Andersen

Raanta

Edited by MillionDollarCam

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Rumor going around that the Wolves will be an independent AHL team next year meaning they won’t have an affiliation, not sure where this leaves Carolina.

Not so much a rumor anymore...

https://theathletic.com/4385133/2023/04/05/chicago-wolves-hurricanes-ahl-affiliate/

The Chicago Wolves are going it alone. They’re done depending on an NHL team to determine whether they’ll be successful in the AHL.

Wolves general manager Wendell Young confirmed Wednesday the Wolves plan to become an independent AHL team beginning next season after their three-year contract with the Carolina Hurricanes expires at the end of the 2022-23 season.

--------------------------------------

I'm sure the NHL has a mechanism in place that will allow the Canes to arrange an affiliation with another franchise.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

Not so much a rumor anymore...

https://theathletic.com/4385133/2023/04/05/chicago-wolves-hurricanes-ahl-affiliate/

The Chicago Wolves are going it alone. They’re done depending on an NHL team to determine whether they’ll be successful in the AHL.

Wolves general manager Wendell Young confirmed Wednesday the Wolves plan to become an independent AHL team beginning next season after their three-year contract with the Carolina Hurricanes expires at the end of the 2022-23 season.

--------------------------------------

I'm sure the NHL has a mechanism in place that will allow the Canes to arrange an affiliation with another franchise.

So what happens to Koochie?

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

So what happens to Koochie?

Koochie and all the other players with Canes contracts sent the Wolves affiliate still belong to the Canes is my understanding. The question is who a new affiliate for the Canes might be. Living near Charlotte I would love to see the Canes affiliate AHL come back to the Charlotte Checkers, not sure contract wise if that’s possible though.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1