• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Canes Off-season Thread

8 hours ago, Hurricanesam10 said:

I think that if we trade Necas we have to be really careful about doing it. Which is why Don Waddell said he would like a young d-man in the return. We can't have another Elias Lindholm trade happen where he flourishes somewhere else. 

As long as it's somewhere on the west coast....

• Pie 1

He's on a $7M AAV now, I have to think he wants a 3-4 years somewhere in the $8.5 - 9M range? 

I have to think the Max Patch deal would not have been made had Carolina known this was going to happen. Calgary loses Gaudreau and now offering up Tkachuk after getting closer to the cup than Carolina did... geez, what's going on in Calgary?

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

Welp Nino signed with Nashville. Hope we have another plan because this team still looks like another in and out kind of playoff team.

So, Nino was making $5.25M in Carolina and signed a deal that will pay him $4M in Nashville for the next 2 years? WTF is going on in the Canes front office and what does this say about the organization that guys will sign elsewhere for less money? Carolina could have easily kept Nino. Instead they will now likely spend upwards of $5.5 - 6.5M to find a third line winger.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

So, Nino was making $5.25M in Carolina and signed a deal that will pay him $4M in Nashville for the next 2 years? WTF is going on in the Canes front office and what does this say about the organization that guys will sign elsewhere for less money? Carolina could have easily kept Nino. Instead they will now likely spend upwards of $5.5 - 6.5M to find a third line winger.

It tells me a couple of things:

1. The front office didn't value Nino to the tune of 2x4M. 

2. Could be withholding that money for cap room in a possible trade.

What if they are sneaking in talks with Calgary about Tkachuk? Granted, the Canes would have to give up a lot, but it would be worth it. They don't have enough players with elite scoring ability.

I don't think there were many who thought Nino was going to return.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

How about Necas, Teuvo and a 1st? It would certainly make cap sense by including Teuvo.

Makes sense to me. Both Marty and TT often appeared to be reluctant shooters on a team that lives by putting shots on goal. Both could be consistent 50 point guys every year if they weren't so damn hesitant about shooting the puck.

Top 10 available UFA right wingers:

image.png

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

What if they are sneaking in talks with Calgary about Tkachuk? Granted, the Canes would have to give up a lot, but it would be worth it. They don't have enough players with elite scoring ability.

This is worth mentioning:

"The Flames selected Tkachuk with the No. 6 overall pick in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft. According to The Athletic, he has given Calgary a list of teams with whom he would agree to a long-term contract and according to a source of The Athletic, the teams include the St. Louis Blues, Vegas Golden Knights, Florida Panthers, Nashville Predators and Dallas Stars."

The Hurricanes are nowhere on that list.

• Pie 1

Just now, Anybodyhome said:

This is worth mentioning:

"The Flames selected Tkachuk with the No. 6 overall pick in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft. According to The Athletic, he has given Calgary a list of teams with whom he would agree to a long-term contract and according to a source of The Athletic, the teams include the St. Louis Blues, Vegas Golden Knights, Florida Panthers, Nashville Predators and Dallas Stars."

The Hurricanes are nowhere on that list.

Also have a tweet from a respected NHL journalist saying that list is incorrect.

• Pie 1