• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield watch

ncfan

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

They did have a first round grade on him.

(and no I don't think that's post draft bullsh-t)

That, plus Fitterer talking about wanting to build around him (his ideal scenario) makes me think they do believe in him.

I don't think that's comforting. And I don't say that as a guy that hates Corral at all. 

I just seriously question our ability to evaluate talent outside "The Hurney Zone."

• The D 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I would guess they have tried to dump him most of the offseason and gotten next to no interest that wasn't wildly in the other teams favor. 

Even if it did happen, I would bet the Browns just basically cut him.

Talk is that option is off the table.

Granted that could change, but if they hang on to him long enough to see someone else lose a starter to injury, then they have the leverage again.

• Beer 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I don't think that's comforting. And I don't say that as a guy that hates Corral at all. 

I just seriously question our ability to evaluate talent outside "The Hurney Zone."

Depends on whether McAdoo is really as good as some think.

I would guess they have tried to dump him most of the offseason and gotten next to no interest that wasn't wildly in the other teams favor. 

Even if it did happen, I would bet the Browns just basically cut him.

Panthers should do the same, cut bait.

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Looking over the NFL qbs that are worth a poo, how many were "developed"?  For the record I am not even counting Mahomes as he was blistering practice his rookie season

Agreed. The examples of guys that sit on the bench for a couple of seasons and then light it up when they get a chance are pretty few and far between in the past 25 years.

If you can play at this level, you will see the field ASAP.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Paying the same amount I could deal with.

Us paying more of Darnold's salary than Cleveland pays of Mayfield's though would feel like we lost the staring contest.

If we pay more of Darnold's it would be essentially acquiring Baker for whatever that amount is plus our late pick.  If we keep Sam that money is a sunk cost anyway (assuming we don't see him as a potential QB).  

Agreed. The examples of guys that sit on the bench for a couple of seasons and then light it up when they get a chance are pretty few and far between in the past 25 years.

If you can play at this level, you will see the field ASAP.

To really get the validity of that scenario though, you'd have to cross check whether the teams starting guys early are good teams or bad ones 

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I'm looking at the team he took to the playoffs end results versus our roster.  Any injuries to our future roster would be an unknown (yes CMC would be an educated guess).  My point is that roster (2020 Browns) had many injuries and he wasn't being carried by some All Star team that season.  A rookie LT on a good OL with one solid WR for less than half the season and a good RB.  Hooper was their top TE with 46 catches for 435 yards and 4 TDs.  Is that 1000x better than what McAdoo can do with Baker throwing to Tremble or Thomas?  I'm not sure about that.  

Well, Thomas has 4 TDs for his entire career, so call me crazy for thinking any QB or coach can make him that much better. We still don’t know about Tremble and he’s super young. 

I agree that the Brown’s roster wasn’t what the Bucs or Rams have been recently, but they were above average. Above average offensive and above average defense. The difference in winning playoff games and Super Bowls is having a QB that makes his team better. Mayfield isn’t that. So again, no point in bringing him here. Sure, they beat the Steelers on the playoffs but KC beat them. KC only scored 22 points. That’s a hell of a defensive performance against Mahomes and that roster. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Looking over the top 15 qbs in the draft and I see less then 5 that sat and then played to become all pros.  I see 2 (Cousins, Rodgers) that was "developed".  The development angle of qbs is simply a myth and if it was a thing you would see more teams doing it.  They simply dont.  Why didnt buffalo sit Allen, Cards Murray?  How about Carr? 

Mahomes sat.  I think it kind of depends on the offense they ran in college. 

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Depends on whether McAdoo is really as good as some think.

I don't think there is a QB coach in the NFL now or in the last that could make Darnold a quality NFL starter. Or Will Grier. Or OJ Walker.

So, as much as McAdoo might be a good QB coach, this situation will really be about how good Corral actually is. That's really the beginning and end of that discussion, IMO.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, SazmoRanger said:

Well, Thomas has 4 TDs for his entire career, so call me crazy for thinking any QB or coach can make him that much better. We still don’t know about Tremble and he’s super young. 

I agree that the Brown’s roster wasn’t what the Bucs or Rams have been recently, but they were above average. Above average offensive and above average defense. The difference in winning playoff games and Super Bowls is having a QB that makes his team better. Mayfield isn’t that. So again, no point in bringing him here. Sure, they beat the Steelers on the playoffs but KC beat them. KC only scored 22 points. That’s a hell of a defensive performance against Mahomes and that roster. 

I agree with pretty much everything you just posted.  I just think our current QB (Sam) makes our team/offense significantly worse.  So adding a QB that doesn't would make our team significantly better than before by default.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think there is a QB coach in the NFL now or in the last that could make Darnold a quality NFL starter. Or Will Grier. Or OJ Walker.

So, as much as McAdoo might be a good QB coach, this situation will really be about how good Corral actually is. That's really the beginning and end of that discussion, IMO.

I was talking about his evaluation skills.

Per what we saw of the offseason, McAdoo was leading the charge to draft Corral.

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I dont think it matters in terms of being able to play.  See stafford etc

Stafford was on a bad team.

9 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Mahomes sat.  I think it kind of depends on the offense they ran in college. 

Mahomes was under Andy Reid.

It's not going to be exclusively true, but it is true that the teams who draft those top ten guys tend to be bad, and generally long term bad