• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charlotte Hornets Free Agency Moves

2 hours ago, OldNorthPowell said:

Its the only move they made and it is nearly 10 million for 7 ppg and 4 rpg. That is still nearly 1/12 of a roster spot if we go by cap. Thing is top level players make around 30 million and you usually have 2 of those on a really good team. So, it is actually around 1/6 of the remaining roster cap.

Good deal don't let the rest of the BS blind you from good moves..

• Pie 1

The Martin contract is meh, it depends on if he keeps progressing. He’s a good defender and has gotten better every year so hopefully that continues. His contract is slightly less than Gary Payton’s and I think Martin is better than Payton so there is that. I also wish it was a three year deal instead of a four year deal.

Personally I’d have been much more comfortable at 3x$20M

As someone mentioned above, Charlotte is going to have to overpay which is why it’s important that we draft and develop well while those players are on their entry contracts. This is why trading away our second round pick continues to be a baffling decision.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

3 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

The Martin contract is meh, it depends on if he keeps progressing. He’s a good defender and has gotten better every year so hopefully that continues. His contract is slightly less than Gary Payton’s and I think Martin is better than Payton so there is that. I also wish it was a three year deal instead of a four year deal.

Personally I’d have been much more comfortable at 3x$20M

If you can get PJ and Cody for less you would have to pay ass hole .. Its atleast a start to recovery...

4 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

If you can get PJ and Cody for less you would have to pay ass hole .. Its atleast a start to recovery...

I don’t follow.

Cody is very similar to Hamidou Diallo, the difference is that Diallo is better and makes substantially less.

It’s not a terrible contract but the Hornets could probably use the extra $3M per season that Cody is making (compared to Diallo’s contract).

Edited by MillionDollarCam

4 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I don’t follow.

Cody is very similar to Hamidou Diallo, the difference is that Diallo is better and makes substantially less.

It’s not a terrible contract but the Hornets could probably use the extra $3M per season that Cody is making (compared to Diallo’s contract).

2 for 1.. If Miles wasn't stupid and we signed him to a 120 plus mil deal.. No way we keep cody, PJ, and probably somebody else.. But now Atleast we get to keep these guys for less then we would've paid miles alone..

2 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

2 for 1.. If Miles wasn't stupid and we signed him to a 120 plus mil deal.. No way we keep cody, PJ, and probably somebody else.. But now Atleast we get to keep these guys for less then we would've paid miles alone..

I mean we can keep them regardless because we have their bird rights. However, over paying, even if it’s slightly, might prevent us from being able to sign free agents in the future due to lack of cap space (assuming any free agents would want to sign with us).

16 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Mj isn't going into luxury tax for Cody or PJ.. So let that dream of keeping them with what was a 120+ million Miles contract go..

Wouldn’t have had to, for one Miles contract even at a max would have still come under the luxury tax and secondly, PJ’s contract doesn’t expire until next year… you know when both Plumlee’s and Oubre’s deals also expire, opening up more than enough room for Washington.

Obviously a moot point now since Miles is an idiot but regardless, overpaying your own free agents unless they are star players can be detrimental to the long term cap flexibility of the team.

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Wouldn’t have had to, for one Miles contract even at a max would have still come under the luxury tax and secondly, PJ’s contract doesn’t expire until next year… you know when both Plumlee’s and Oubre’s deals also expire, opening up more than enough room for Washington.

Obviously a moot point now since Miles is an idiot but regardless, overpaying your own free agents unless they are star players can be detrimental to the long term cap flexibility of the team.

I don't consider it overpaying..

He's is your best wing defender who has improved every year since drafted and now is developing a 3 point shot.. 8mil a year for a 26 year old  2 way wing is cheap..

Hell we're paying Kelly 12mil and he doesn't play defense..

Edited by WOW!!
  • Pie 1

Cody Martin balled out. He does all the grunt work and he's become a efficient scorer. He actually took over and won one of those last games he was killing it. Yes, the fact that he can play defense too makes him much better value than a guy who is just a shooter that gives up just as many as he scores.

5 hours ago, WOW!! said:

I don't consider it overpaying..

He's is your best wing defender who has improved every year since drafted and now is developing a 3 point shot.. 8mil a year for a 26 year old  2 way wing is cheap..

Hell we're paying Kelly 12mil and he doesn't play defense..

It’s not a massive overpay but there are players that are better than Martin (for example: Diallo) making less money on a worse team. I also would have preferred a three year deal.