• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Big Ten and SEC fixing to dismantle the ACC?

Squirrel

5 hours ago, 4Corners said:

Yeah you don’t know what you’re talking about. Everyone in the ACC should be thanking Swofford. 

Be careful what you wish for tiger fans. Those games against Syracuse, BC, Ga Tech will be replaced with much harder competition. 

We both know how deep ACC roots go.  2 teams just played in the final 4 in basketball and UNC has many other sports of high prominence.  People are seriously jumping to conclusions on these super conferences.  The ACC is fine money wise and I seriously doubt Clemson leaves but in all honesty they are heading downstairs football wise. It would actually hurt Clemson moving to the SEC…they would become another South Carolina quickly

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

Vandy

Gamecocks

Florida 

Missouri 

Kentucky 

Tenn

That’s not a scary division.  Clemson would have owned the SECE more so than UGA has in recent history because they have had better QB play. 

Bama and UGA stand alone.  Only teams in the SEC that are consistent.  It’s basically a 2 team conference of late where a random team flukes into a good season here or there.

Dude come on I hate the SEC and 99% of their trash fans and cheating teams but if you think Clempson will just walk in there and automatically be a top dog u wrong. 4th best team at best and by the team Clemson moves to the SEC (if ever) Texas and Oklahoma will be in there as well. The grass ain’t always greener. 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, CRA said:

Bama and UGA stand alone.  Only teams in the SEC that are consistent.  It’s basically a 2 team conference of late where a random team flukes into a good season here or there.

I am glad you brought this up.  I think the cyclical nature of some of the other random teams having great seasons gives the illusion that those schools are always that good.

Just now, Wes21 said:

I am glad you brought this up.  I think the cyclical nature of some of the other random teams having great seasons gives the illusion that those schools are always that good.

This isn’t true at all.  Texas A&M and others absolutely have the resources to complete with these 2 teams.  They are recruiting incredible talent but as these other teams enter the SEC recruits have so many more options…like Texas for instance who is building a crazy recruiting class as we speak

I know people hate Carolina and Carolina fans but some of y’all with no dog in the fight are really getting to see how delusional and brainwashed Clemson and duke fans are. 

Clemson, whose entire AD revolves around Dabo and football, is ready to write the 200 million dollar check to leave the ACC at a moments notice and head to the SEC which they will dominate immediately. 

duke, whose entire athletic dept is a complete joke aside from a blue blood basketball program who just lost its head coach and can only fit 7,000 people in its high school gym (which is still more than they have in the stands for football) is also a lock to head to the SEC because their LAX team and womens soccer teams are good and bring so much alumni and fan support in the Durham media market. 

lol!! Get a grip 

Just now, Shocker said:

This isn’t true at all.  Texas A&M and others absolutely have the resources to complete with these 2 teams.  They are recruiting incredible talent but as these other teams enter the SEC recruits have so many more options…like Texas for instance who is building a crazy recruiting class as we speak

Texas A&M is a great example of why the idea of killing your program by joining the SEC is a myth.  They were a middling team in the Big 12 before they entered the SEC.  Their win total spiked to double digits their very first season in the SEC.  The conference was supposed to eat them alive, but they thrived in it.  Immediately.

• Pie 1

Just now, Shocker said:

Like some Clemson fan in this thread I think it was CRA who is generally one of the more level headed posters here just compared playing the scrubs of the ACC to teams like Florida, tennesse, mizzou and Kentucky. No big deal. Come on man. 

I know Tenn/UF are down but come on now 

Just now, Wes21 said:

Texas A&M is a great example of why the idea of killing your program by joining the SEC is a myth.  They were a middling team in the Big 12 before they entered the SEC.  Their win total spiked to double digits their very first season in the SEC.  The conference was supposed to eat them alive, but they thrived in it.  Immediately.

This is a really good point.  AM leaving for the SEC was a head scratcher at first but years later it was a genius move. 

Just now, 4Corners said:

Like some Clemson fan in this thread I think it was CRA who is generally one of the more level headed posters here just compared playing the scrubs of the ACC to teams like Florida, tennesse, mizzou and Kentucky. No big deal. Come on man. 

What Nick Saban has done won’t be done again with consolidating like this…there will be greater parity IMO between these teams and a Florida or Tennessee will challenge big time with a good cycle of recruiting.  I just want to see the best teams play each other and an 8 team playoff and I am good

7 hours ago, 4Corners said:

Let me start this post by saying YES...the SEC is the strongest football conference.  And the fact that its the strongest never changes, even when the teams inside the conference go up and down.  That being said, I think its overrated.  Your comment about Tennessee is a good example.  Looking at their recent non-conference results is a good view of the state of Tennessee football:

2021 - They played an ACC team (Pitt) and lost.  They played Purdue, and lost.  They beat Bowling Green, Tennessee Tech and South Alabama.

2020 - This was an all SEC schedule due to COVID.

2019 - They played BYU and lost.  They played Georgia State and lost.  They beat Indiana by 1 point.  INDIANA!  They beat Chattanooga and Alabama-Birmingham.

2018 - They played West Virginia and lost.  They beat East Tennessee State, UTEP and UNC-Charlotte.

2017 - They beat Georgia Tech by 1 point, then won against Indiana State, UMass and Southern Miss.

That is not a menacing team.  Will they have some UP years?  Of course.  But as they go up another team in the SEC will go down.  I think part of the issue is people don't really follow the SEC teams the way they follow their own conference teams.  So when you say "Florida State" to an ACC fan they don't think its a big deal.  But for whatever reason when it comes to SEC teams, people think of their highest moments and assume they are there or about to be there again soon.  FSU is not the championship team they have been at times, no more than Tennessee is the Peyton Manning Volunteers.

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, Shocker said:

What Nick Saban has done won’t be done again with consolidating like this…there will be greater parity IMO between these teams and a Florida or Tennessee will challenge big time with a good cycle of recruiting.  I just want to see the best teams play each other and an 8 team playoff and I am good

I think NIL deals changed everything.  Now a school can buy away some of the recruits that Saban was able to land consistently.  And if a school is feeling froggy, they can load up and buy and entire recruiting class and make a run.  Kind of like how some MLB baseball teams load up and try to make a run every 4-8 years, but don't/can't do it every year.

9 hours ago, 4Corners said:

Dude come on I hate the SEC and 99% of their trash fans and cheating teams but if you think Clempson will just walk in there and automatically be a top dog u wrong. 4th best team at best and by the team Clemson moves to the SEC (if ever) Texas and Oklahoma will be in there as well. The grass ain’t always greener. 

I give the teams that earned the praise their praise.  Rest of the SEC largely lives off the work of a few these days.  During that same window Clemson also took care of OU. 

If Clemson had been in the SEC with Watson, Trevor and those DLs…..they would have still been one of the top teams in the nation.  It’s talent.  And Clemson has had it where it matters the most.    And they have proven that against Bama, Ohio St, Notre Dame, OU, etc.    I mean you got to be a straight up Clemson hater to think they have not been one of the top teams in college football the past half decade regardless of where they played.   They got the work in vs the best consistently to back it up.  

9 hours ago, 4Corners said:

Florida ST and Miami don’t get bonus credit for past actions.   I’m specifically talking about the SECE over the last half decade.    Replace Clemson with UGA.   That simply wouldn’t be a brutal division for the Clemson squads that have been around that featured Watson/Trevor and those DLs.   

the more outlandish position IMO is that Clemson would be fodder in SEC.  Not if they took the same teams they have had into the SEC they wouldn’t.  Clemson would still be at the top of college football with the same handful of teams.   Which were the ones who had the best talent year after year.

Maybe they look more like UGA and miss a playoff they made or something and have slightly fewer appearances.  But Clemson has been too loaded and proved too much over a consistent period to think they couldn’t of come out or the SEC too during that window of success.  

10 hours ago, 4Corners said:

Clemson fan here...... I'm not on the side where I think they're going to be Alabama 2.0 in the SEC. I'm also willing to accept they will lose games in the SEC. That's just sports lol.... some gotta win, some gotta lose. The fact they would be playing Florida , Tennessee etc etc versus Boston College or Wake Forest is enough for me lol. It's tough to get excited for majority of the ACC games.